Marlins Win 5-2 Behind Hanley's Howitzer Blast in the 8th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
    The "we haven't been here since '94" spin is cool, but at the same time that's a pretty bad crowd for the Cubs.

I think, when the Marlins pegged 2.5 million as their magic number for this season (because 3 million requires a sellout every night), they probably pegged the Cubs, Red Sox and Cardinals weeknight series at or near sellouts because we have some absolute weeknight dogs this year. I also believe the number of full-season-equivalents we have is approximately 15K so 24K is a let-down when you consider the Cubs were doing about 20Kish at Pro Player with 8K FSE's.

FYI, before Boston comes to town we'll have Pittsburgh, Colorado, Washington and Atlanta as our weeknight/Tuesday opponents.
    Cubs drew 16k and 14k respectively during the week last year.

Largest crowd was 27k during a weekend series in 2010.

The previous weekday series in September 2007 drew 16k (Tuesday), 19k and 24k. The Cubs won the division in 2007.

They aren't nearly the draw they were in previous years and even in their prime, weekdays crowds sucked.
    Last edited by Party; 04-18-2012, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Yeah there were a few photos of the crowds at Wrigley this season and they were terrible and it was against the Brewers.

Comment

The "we haven't been here since '94" spin is cool, but at the same time that's a pretty bad crowd for the Cubs.

I think, when the Marlins pegged 2.5 million as their magic number for this season (because 3 million requires a sellout every night), they probably pegged the Cubs, Red Sox and Cardinals weeknight series at or near sellouts because we have some absolute weeknight dogs this year. I also believe the number of full-season-equivalents we have is approximately 15K so 24K is a let-down when you consider the Cubs were doing about 20Kish at Pro Player with 8K FSE's.

FYI, before Boston comes to town we'll have Pittsburgh, Colorado, Washington and Atlanta as our weeknight/Tuesday opponents.
        I don't agree. The Cubs aren't the Cubs of old. I would be surprised if it isn't completely sold out for the Red Sox.

Comment

Comment

ok Homer
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout Pact View Post
              How did JJ look?
              I thought he looked better. The gun I'm told I can't trust had him working off 94 and he seemed to go to his slider a bit more than he did against StL.

Comment

I can't help but laugh at people freaking out at drawing over 24K on a Tuesday night. I know it's a new ballpark and all, but do you really expect to go from zero fanbase to sold out every single night? If they can get 24,000+ every weeknight with school in session, I'll take it. It would be great if there were more people there last night, but that game at Sun Life would have drawn 6,000 people in the seats.

I know we are all sensative to attendance talk around here, but really, it's time to move past it. There are just a handful of teams that draw really well early in the season on weekdays. The rest are like Washington, Atlanta, Arizona, Kansas City, Seattle, Toronto, Colorado, and the White Sox....all of whom drew less then we did last night.

Comment

I don't think "freaking out" is the right word to use here. For myself, at least, I didn't anticipate a 3 million fan season, but I think to have 1 sellout (opening night) in the first 5 games in the park, which includes a weekend series, is certainly eye opening.

Comment

The rest are like Washington, Atlanta, Arizona, Kansas City, Seattle, Toronto, Colorado, and the White Sox....all of whom drew less then we did last night.
                    That's also not the fairest of comparisons because those teams aren't in their 5th game in a new ballpark, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                      That's also not the fairest of comparisons because those teams aren't in their 5th game in a new ballpark, ya know?
                      Like this?

DKnobler ‏ @DKnobler

Bad that Marlins have already had a sub-25,000 crowd in new park? Well, Reds, Tigers, Nats, Brewers all had one even quicker at new park.

Comment

Don't really care to go super far into this MH, because there's not a whole lot that can be taken out of 4 games (since opening day doesn't count), but you'd imagine that those teams were doing better than 85% capacity for their first weekend series...right?

And, for the record, I think we're "fine." My only concern (and I know there will never be a straight answer to this anyway, so it is what it is) is that this "experiment" might have a very short leash (hence all the backloaded deals) and that we're either at our absolute budget ceiling now and cuts have to be made soon, or the whole damn thing gets blown up. I obviously hope that isn't the case and this is part of a three year "let's see if it'll support baseball" plan, but the early returns seem to reenforce no one gives a damn about anything in Miami unless they're winning.
                        Last edited by Swifty; 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          Like this?
                          Yeah, that's the stuff. Good ole Dick Knobler

Comment

I think if we can have 2.5m fans this year we'll be fine.

2.5m fans at $45 average ticket price - $112,500,000.00 plus food, parking, merchandise etc.

If they can't make a profit then they shouldn't be allowed to own a baseball team.
                            Last edited by Jorge18; 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Samson said they projected out daily attendance numbers and they've been at what they've expected so far.

He also replied to a question about replays at the park. He says MLB and the umpire union don't allow the park to replay close plays on the jumbotron.

Comment

Don't really care to go super far into this MH, because there's not a whole lot that can be taken out of 4 games (since opening day doesn't count), but you'd imagine that those teams were doing better than 85% capacity for their first weekend series...right?

And, for the record, I think we're "fine." My only concern (and I know there will never be a straight answer to this anyway, so it is what it is) is that this "experiment" might have a very short leash (hence all the backloaded deals) and that we're either at our absolute budget ceiling now and cuts have to be made soon, or the whole damn thing gets blown up. I obviously hope that isn't the case and this is part of a three year "let's see if it'll support baseball" plan, but the early returns seem to reenforce no one gives a damn about anything in Miami unless they're winning.
                                You don't think the backloaded contracts have more to do with baseball's upcoming TV rights contract than Maury Brown's blow it up conspiracy?

Comment

Working...
                                X