This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to add to the quote Erick posted...

NEW YORK — Don’t be surprised if Ozzie Guillen signals for Heath Bell the next time there’s a ninth-inning save situation. Guillen said Bell merits another chance.

“We’re thinking about putting him back where he belongs,” Guillen said. “We’re going to give him another opportunity.”

Bell, who was an absolute bust before the All-Star break and the poster child of disaster for the Marlins, has looked like a new pitcher of late. In his 10 relief outings covering nine innings since the break, Bell has not allowed a run, given up only three hits and struck out eight to go with three walks.

The reason?

“I fixed my mechanics,” Bell said. “There was something wrong all year. I found out what it was a couple of weeks ago. I realized what I was doing. I feel like the person I was before.”

Specifically, Bell said he shortened his stride by three or four inches. He said that slight adjustment has enabled him to keep the ball down in the strike zone.

“If I stride too long, I can’t reach out in front of me, so therefore everything’s up,” Bell said.

Bell said he didn’t “feel right” as far back as spring training.

“I found out what it was,” Bell said. “I think I strided too far at the end of spring and into the season, and it was creating a bad habit, and then everybody else was about my arm, about my head, about second-guessing me about what pitches I threw. ... I created a bad habit in spring, and nobody caught it.”

Bell said he figured out the flaw on his own.

“I’m my own best coach,” he said. “I’m not trying to take anything away from [pitching coach Randy] St. Claire. I’m not saying he’s bad. I’m just saying my pitching style is unique and I need to figure it out, and I figured it out.”

Bell acknowledged that he “stunk” in the first half.

“I don’t know if I was the worst pitcher in the game, but I was making a run for it,” he said.

Guillen said he met with St. Claire earlier Wednesday to discuss bullpen roles, and both felt that Bell was a better fit for the ninth inning than Steve Cishek, who they see as someone better able to throw more than one frame, if necessary.

Said St. Claire: “For me, I’d rather have Bell as the closer, because Bell is a one-inning guy and Cishek is a multi-inning reliever, as well as [ Mike] Dunn. So I think it better fits us with him as closer.”
    Someone ought to compile a list of his excuses from this season.

http://www.bradenton.com/2012/08/09/...#storylink=cpy
    Last edited by emkayseven; 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• like it matters who gets the 7 save opportunities we'll produce the rest of the season

/namaste

Comment

• Heath Bell has been outstanding ever since it didn't matter.

Well played, Heath.

Comment

• Heath, don't ever change.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• Originally posted by bell_virus.exe View Post
            implying, not inferring
            Touche

Comment

• Another great outing by Heath today, boys. What will he blame today?
              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• global warming

Comment

• Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                  Another great outing by Heath today, boys. What will he blame today?
                  The south beach trim.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Just created a bad habit and was second guessing himself is all
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• him turning it around is a process, not an event, boys

Comment

• It's kinda weird that they said all of this about him becoming the closer again, yet he's definitely not the closer right now. Pretty funny. I bet he's pissed.

Comment

• Have no voice because of all the booing I did today

Comment

• Well, at least one thing is promising:

Since May 28th (When he started actually striking guys out again), in 29 IP he has 30/9 K/BB which is actually better than his career numbers and his 0.6 HR/9 is literally on his career rate. ~3.10 FIP

Still a 4.66 ERA thanks to .333 BABIP but at least his peripherals are in line with his career rates. Promising for next season (Still hope they dump him off in the offseason though).

Comment

• I disagree with you nny. He's probably going to bounce back and can probably moved at the deadline for more value. But then again the FO will want to keep him if that happens.

Comment

• RHP Heath Bell wants another chance to close before the end of the season, but he hasn't given manager Ozzie Guillen any indication he's ready. Bell allowed two runs in the ninth inning Wednesday in an 8-4 loss to Washington. He has a 5.79 ERA in 11 August appearances, and batters are hitting .333 against him in those games.
                                http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3484935.story

Comment

Working...
                                X