Giancarlo Stanton, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Polky View Post
    he doesn't always seem to get the best read on things. He looks to me like he's improved over the last few years but if you asked me I would not say he's an above average outfielder.
    --------------------

I smiled this whole article through. He is so awesome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1560914.html
    The best part of that article other than Stanton being awesome is learning that Josh Johnson's son's name is Cash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
      Kemp signed last offseason (at 27, with 4+ years of service time) 8/$160 mil.

Justin Upton signed 6/$50 mil after 2009, his age 21 season (and his first 20+ Hr and AS season).

Stanton will be 23 this offseason and he'll have 2+ season service (though no super-2, most likely), a likely AS appearance and somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 career homers.

Stanton probably would jump at the extension because he's here through 2016 and he won't be making 7 figures until '14, though his arbitration numbers will get out of hand quickly. BUT, he's not signing a 10 year deal. That would be exceptionally bad business on his part. He'd give up his 27-29 years and his chance at "ARod money" on the open market.

My guess (and it should get done) is 6 with a 7th year option. 6/$90, 7/$110.

I think you're roughly $20 million high on your projection.

Carlos Gonzalez signed a seven-year, $80 million contract after his third season, in which he finished 3rd in MVP voting and had 319 games to his credit and an .864 OPS.

Stanton's gonna have roughly 30 more career homers than CarGo, but it might be asking a lot for him to finish third in the MVP race this season, so I think that can kind of make up for that gap a little. Stanton will have close to 80 games played more than Gonzalez, but will likely also not be winning a gold glove like Gonzalez did, as a center fielder no less.

I don't think it's perfect, and I do think Stanton gets a bigger one than him, but I think he's probably the best current example.

I think something like:

13: $1m
      14: $5m
      15: $9m
      16: $13m
      17: $17m
      18: $20m
      option
      19: $22m

Six years, $65 million. Option to make it seven, $87.
      poop

Comment

• Let’s play a fun game – blind player taste test game! You know the drill, all answers revealed below the jump.

Player A: 98 PA, 12 HR, 13.3% BB, 21.4% K, .417/.490/.893 – .442 BABIP. 19.4 wRAA. (Team record 17-6)

Player B: 111 PA, 12 HR, 10.8% BB, 19.8% K, .344/.405/.781 – .323 BABIP. 14.6 wRAA (Team record 14-13)

Player C: 125 PA, 12 HR, 12.8% BB, 20.0% K, .343/.432/.769 – .352 BABIP. 18.3 wRAA. (Team record 20-8)

Player A is Matt Kemp, anointed king of the world after his obviously incredible April. The subject of many a fuzzy feature and proclaimed saviour of baseball in Los Angeles. The key piece of one of the most storied franchises in baseball, Kemp and his Dodgers make for perfect fodder for the national media. A Google search of “Matt Kemp amazing April” yields more than 23000 results from the first week of May alone. He recently became very, very rich.

Player B is Josh Hamilton over the month of May. He hit four of those twelve home runs in one game. He had a two week dry spell. He is soon to become very, very rich.

Finally, Player C is Giancarlo Stanton during the fifth month of the year 2012. Giancarlo Stanton is 22-years old. He is one of baseball’s brightest stars. He will not become very rich for a little while, mostly because he is only 22 and in the midst of the “indentured servitude” portion of his career and also because he plays for the Marlins.

Stanton’s May numbers are , admittedly, not quite as good as Kemp’s, though they dwarf Hamilton’s. Lagging behind Kemp’s April should not diminish all that Giancarlo Stanton accomplished over the last 30 days – his month is still one for the ages, powering his team to an equally incredible run of play. Sadly, there are no soft-focus features on Giancarlo Stanton in the offing…and it breaks my heart (To his eternal credit, Carson Cistulli’s Arbitrary Endpoint Leaderboard features GC Stanton prominently, the name of which I appeared to have stolen.)

Giancarlo Stanton does things to baseballs that may be considered cruel and unusual in more just places in the world. Not only is he unkind to baseballs, he is unkind to baseball stadia – even the one he technically helped pay for as a taxpayer in Miami!

Take that, bizarre art installation!

And one for you, auxiliary scoreboard!

Giancarlo is no one-dimensional hacker, as his walk and strikeout rates indicate. He is simply one of the most dangerous hitters in baseball, a 22-year old slugger with 80 power and a team on his back. Consider this heat map of his month of May. I believe the experts call this “plate coverage.”

Courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info

Matt Kemp’s pristine numbers stand out in April as they are unmuddied by inevitable regression and/or slumps that inevitably occur. Matt Kemp also lapped the field quite convincingly in April, putting up nearly 6 more weighted runs above average over the next best player. Stanton’s May is by far the best in the league, outpacing the next most prolific May performer (Joey Votto).

With the emergence of young phenoms like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout while storylines like Kemp and Hamilton dominate the headlines, it isn’t too surprising that Stanton’s achievements get lost in the shuffle a little. A slow start brings down Stanton’s overall season line but his May has truly been one for the ages – his team sits just a half-game behind in the standings and he is breaking team records at every turn.

As with everything in life, it is better to leave the last word to Stanton’s manager, noted wordsmith Ozzie Guillen. (via marlins.com)
        “I doubt many have put up better numbers than him this month. Maybe somebody out there. I don’t know which one. Whoever had better numbers this month better than [Stanton], he had a very good month.”

Wow, Ozzie. Easy on the hyperbole, bro.
        http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/0...+%28Blog%29%29
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• NL Player of the Month for May

Comment

• Goddamn fuckin right

Comment

• In Jerry Crasnick's fabulous piece this week on Giancarlo Stanton, the outfielder says that getting a big contract isn't even on his radar screen yet: "I really don't care," he said, "until the time comes."

But there have been no indications from the Marlins that that time will arrive in the near future. According to one source who has discussed this topic with their front office, they've never done any deal with a young player that didn't buy out at least two free-agent years. And this regime has never signed any player to a contract longer than six years (Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes).

Stanton, on the other hand, is five years from free agency. So it would take a humongous seven-year deal to buy out his first two years of free agency. And when asked whether the Marlins would ever consider giving Stanton -- or anyone else -- a seven-year contract, the source said succinctly: "Never."

Stanton won't even be arbitration-eligible until 2014, which happens to be the last season of Ramirez's contract. Interesting timing. The Marlins are viewed as being likely to commit to one of those two long-term, but not both.
              http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/...cked-most-2012
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Hanley gon be gone after 2014, I guess.
                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• I'm taking Stanton over Hanley in 2014 without question.

Comment

• joe capozzi ‏@joecapMARLINS
                    Stanton didn't rule out possibility of surgery after this season or next to remove loose bodies. Still hopes to return this wkend #Marlins

Comment

• video of every stanton hr this year: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22797091

video of hitting bp bombs including one out of miller park for those of you who didn't see it on the tv (starts at 1:30): http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22778387

side note: i want one of those Lil Dobbers shirts

Comment

• Miami All-Star Giancarlo Stanton is aiming to return Aug. 10 to the Marlins, according to the Miami Herald.

Stanton, 22, had arthroscopic right knee surgery on July 9, and was expected out four to six weeks.

The right fielder will likely play in a rehab game Wednesday, and plans to rejoin the Marlins for their next homestand, according to the Herald.

Stanton, a first-time All-Star, was batting .284 with 19 homers and 50 RBIs.
                        http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/82...nd-report-says

Comment

• They need to rush this kid back

Heath Bell says this team is POISED to make a Hugh run at the WC

Comment

• Two lasers tonight and it's only the 5th inning

22 HR's

Comment

• I'm probably as guilty of it as anyone. We talk about Bryce Harper of the Nationals because the fact that he's holding his own as a 19-year-old is itself a sign of future greatness. Then we talk about Mike Trout because he may win the AL MVP award in his age-20 season. In doing so, we forget that the Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton is also off to a historic start to his career.

Stanton recently returned from a month-absence following knee surgery, but he's still likely to wind up with a 30-homer season. Presently, the 22-year-old is sitting on 76 career home runs. Given that most players are in Double-A at his age, that's impressive. But how impressive?

In order to put Stanton's power into some historical context, let's take a look at the players who tallied the most major-league home runs through age 22. Take it away, Baseball-Reference.com Play Index ...

Stanton is presently in 16th place, tied with Orlando Cepeda. If he does in fact reach 30 for the season, then he'll crack the top 10 by tying Jimmie Foxx. While the top five is out of reach, tying or maybe even surpassing Ted Williams and Bob Horner is conceivable. Needless to say, Stanton will, by season's end, be in rarified air, as the 10 names above comprise seven hall of-famers and one future hall of famer.

All of this isn't to say that Stanton is a right-handed Ted Williams or that he has as many tools as Ken Griffy Jr. once did. Rather, it's to say he's put himself on track for a lot of home runs in his career. He'll need to stay healthy, of course, but Stanton has already distinguished himself.

That Stanton can be overlooked to such an extent (the same goes for 22-year-old Jason Heyward in Atlanta) says much about the tremendous level of young talent in the game today.
                              Don't forget Giancarlo Stanton

Comment

• He has around 100 less at bats than everybody else on the leaderboard, and is tied for 6th in the NL in homers.

Welcome back.

Comment

Working...
                                X