No announcement yet.

Gaby Sanchez 2012: The Last Florida Marlins' All-Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, but I wasn't including Gaby's 2010 numbers, just post ASB (so 2011) and right now, how he started the season.

I'm still inclined to agree that there probably aren't any better in-house options, though I will say I'm getting closer to saying Logan at 1B is probably worth it alone, even if Gaby and Coghlan are basically a wash. Not there yet, but getting close, especially if Logan's knee is going to remain an issue.

Comment

I only talked about his slow second half of 2010 to kind of put last year into perspective. Yeah he finished 2011 like shit but there isn't any reason to believe that this year is a continuation of that, as of yet.

Also, there's no way Gaby and Coghlan is a wash, or will be.

Comment

OK, I'm really confused.

My point is recent Gaby has been exceptionally crappy.

My secondary point is that recent, exceptionally crappy Gaby, is putting up numbers that have been met or exceeded by "board's favorite whipping boy"(c) Chris Coghlan basically throughout his career as an everyday regular.

I'm not sure how Gaby's 2010 figures into this....?

Comment

My point was that recent history has shown that Gaby can bounce back from an elongated stretch of bad so let's wait and see what happens before we start playing Coghlan over him. His 2010 numbers exemplify that.

Or we can knee jerk over a handful of games. Whatever works for you.

Comment

270 AB's is a handful?

Comment

It's not a sample size that is indicative of much, but again, I don't think he's struggled for long enough this year to differentiate what is happening with him as a downward trajectory in his development as a player or a rough patch to start the season.

I could have said the exact same thing about Hanley a week ago.

Comment

I mean, it's roughly 20% of his career MLB AB's. I'm not sure how that's an unfairly small sample size.

Comment

It's not many ABs at all in the grand scheme of things. I could pretty much guarantee that most MLB players have had similarly rough stretches in their careers. It's just not much to go on. And again, we know he's not just starting slow this year, how?

Why are you making me defend Gaby Sanchez? Meh.
                  --------------------
                  Also, I don't understand why whatever percentage of ABs that is in Gaby's career is important.
                  Last edited by Mainge; 04-22-2012, 02:02 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Well, it's important because you're saying there's precedent for a rebound and I'm over reacting to an insignificant amount of games/AB's. I'm showing that his recent struggles are fairly prolonged and if there's enough of an established career for "rebound" to be valid, we're talking about a very pronounced downswing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      My point was that recent history has shown that Gaby can bounce back from an elongated stretch of bad so let's wait and see what happens before we start playing Coghlan over him. His 2010 numbers exemplify that.

Or we can knee jerk over a handful of games. Whatever works for you.
                      Recent history has also shown that Coghlan is due to play like an All-Star for 60+ games soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                        Recent history has also shown that Coghlan is due to play like an All-Star for 60+ games soon.
                        Fair enough. Hope it won't be too late for a PCL All Star spot.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                        Well, it's important because you're saying there's precedent for a rebound and I'm over reacting to an insignificant amount of games/AB's. I'm showing that his recent struggles are fairly prolonged and if there's enough of an established career for "rebound" to be valid, we're talking about a very pronounced downswing.
                        I really just don't want Cogs in our lineup. He's our worst major leaguer.
                        Last edited by Mainge; 04-22-2012, 12:40 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Oh come on now, that's crazy.

He's a much better player than Murphy and Kearns. Significantly better.
                          --------------------
                          Also, just to be very clear, I don't like Gaby. You can go back to T&B and know I don't like Gaby. He's textbook debut late, decline early (at least to me). I've never been a fan, but even now I'm not calling for his benching, per se, just that, if this goes on much longer, I really think we need to look past the hometown kid (who was kicked off UM for steroids, but whatever, he's the hometown guy!) and realize his production is woeful for a 1B especially when we have, by all accounts, a very good defensive 1B currently playing LF.
                          --------------------
                          Oh, also Buck. He's better than Buck. I hate John Buck. John Buck:Swift :: Coghlan:Mainge
                          Last edited by Swifty; 04-22-2012, 12:49 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

How is he better than them? Or Buck?

Kearns at least provides some pop, and Murphy can play all over the diamond while providing similar offense.

And there's no chance in hell he's better than Buck. That's crazy.
                            --------------------
                            Murphy you can make an argument for. Not Buck, who I'm not fond of either.
                            Last edited by Mainge; 04-22-2012, 12:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Kearns is a .229/.329/.343 hitter since the start of the 2008 season.

It's unreal he's still around.

Comment

Buck's 2 year total OPS with us: .680 (.315/.365).

Every single season of his big league career, Chris Coghlan has outslugged .365, and 2/3 years he's out OPS'd .680.

The last time Austin Kearns SLG better than .365 was 2010 and he hasn't put up .365 SLG in back to back seasons since '06/'07. Not sure that's "pop". He's 33, too. It doesn't have to come back.

Murphy, come on. Cogs can play all over too, we just choose to view him exclusively as an OF (despite the fact he was a Wes Helms pie dodge away from being our everyday 3B).

Comment

Working...
                                X