Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago Tribune: Loria Looking to Sell in 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Tribune: Loria Looking to Sell in 2014?

Is there method to Marlins' spending madness?

Some believe plan is to drive up value of franchise for future sale

Phil Rogers
    3:43 PM CST, February 11, 2012

With a flair for showmanship rarely seen outside the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, the Marlins gave Yoenis Cespedes the full Albert Pujols treatment on Wednesday.

Also, upon arriving at Miami International Airport from the Dominican Republic, Cespedes said that "hopefully'' he would play for the Marlins, pointing out there are "a lot of Cubans (here) and they would support me a lot.'' So, case closed, right?

Wrong.

While conventional wisdom suggests the Marlins have supplanted the Cubs as front-runners for the Cuban prospect, the reality is these negotiations are like those that led to Prince Fielder signing with the Tigers. Developments beneath the surface, those that are kept private, will prove to be the most significant ones, not those for the benefit of television cameras and print reporters.

With the large Cuban community in South Florida, the Marlins are the one team with a possible losing position on Cespedes. They could alienate that group of fans if they didn't appear aggressive in their pursuit of the Cuban center fielder after investing so heavily in Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell.

Fans of the Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, Orioles and Athletics might be disappointed at the end of the Cespedes sweepstakes. But no team other than the Marlins fears it could look bad for a decade if Cespedes develops into a perennial All-Star elsewhere.

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and President David Samson were thrilled agent Adam Katz gave them such public access to his client. But while Cespedes was touring the new Marlins Park in Little Havana, executives with other teams were rolling their eyes about a wave of irresponsible spending that parallels the Cubs' spending spree as Tribune Co. worked to end the World Series drought and push the price of the franchise beyond $1 billion.

Loria joined the Angels' Arte Moreno and the Tigers' Mike Ilitch as an owner making a difference for his team this offseason. But in adding Pujols and Fielder, the Angels and Tigers are increasing their combined 2012 payrolls by 13 percent (Pujols has a heavily back-loaded contract).

The Marlins, who also back-loaded the Reyes, Buehrle and Bell contracts, essentially are going for the rare 100 percent increase — even more if they do sign Cespedes.

With Hanley Ramirez as the only player earning $10 million-plus, they were at a well-managed $57.7 million to start last season. They're sitting at a minimum of about $101 million now (even with the Cubs paying roughly $16.45 million of Carlos Zambrano's $19 million) and that figure jumps to $116.5 million if you judge Reyes, Buehrle and Bell by their annual averages rather than actual salaries.

The easy answer here is Loria has more money to spend because of the new ballpark and an anticipated increase in broadcast revenue. But does he really have this much more money?

The stadium is a public-private partnership. Loria only got his long-awaited ballpark after agreeing to pay $155 million of the $515 million projected cost. That only makes the spending binge more curious.

This will be the 14th new major league stadium to be opened since 2000. The other teams increased their payroll by an average of 17.9 percent from the last year in their old home to the first year in their new home.

Using that calculation, the Marlins would have figured to start 2012 with a $68 million payroll. They blew past that in signing Reyes and have just kept spending.

How's this going to end? Some skeptics believe Loria will sell the team within the next five years — possibly as early as 2014 — and cash out, possibly allowing him to trade up for the Mets.

After originally buying an interest in the Montreal Expos for $12 million in December 2000, Loria sold them to Major League Baseball for $120 million only two years later. He used that capital to finance a $143 million purchase of the Marlins, who were being sold so then-owner John Henry could buy the Red Sox.

Forbes estimated the value of the Marlins at $360 million last year. That value could jump significantly. There's a pattern here, and it isn't pointing toward long-term stability.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1,print.column

So...

The Baseball Stadium Agreement between the County and Marlins has the Payment Upon Sale of the Team Clause. If Loria were to sell the club, he would have to split a percentage with the County for every dollar over $250 million.

The Marlins will be worth ~$380 million when Forbes publishes their yearly numbers in March. Here are some estimates to consider. I'm assuming 7% growth in value, which is a conservative estimate when it comes to the value of sports franchises.

I've believed all along that once the stadium was done, Loria would look to sell within 5 years. That being said, he's still a massive baseball fan, not just a business man so I could very well be wrong

Comment

I think the article, while maybe ending up at the right conclusion (because I share the same belief that Loria will be cashing out, perhaps not soon, but certainly once the sale poison-pill is not an issue), ultimately seeks to answer the wrong question: "how and why can the Marlins suddenly afford this?"

I don't think enough people understand how bad the cash flow problems were at Pro Player. Even without a "new" ballpark, if the Marlins were simply able to retain the revenue they generate along with revenue sharing, an $80ish million payroll was probably sustainable at Pro Player. The concern going forward has to be how can this remain sustainable if we no longer take such a large amount from MLB.

Comment

Ignoring all the problems and what Swift mentioned...

The only problems with JRS as a revenue generator were the VIP areas for infield box and VIP areas and the lack of such an area for Founder's Club seats. The club level, suite level and concessions have all been revamped in the last five years.
        Last edited by Party; 02-12-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
          Ignoring all the with problems and what Swift mentioned...

The only problems with JRS as a revenue generator were the VIP areas for infield box and VIP areas and the lack of such an area for Founder's Club seats. The club level, suite level and concessions have all been revamped in the last five years.
          So? This is a common misconception about the Marlins tenure at Sun Life. You used to hear this all the time: "the Marlins should just sign better players, draw more fans, and stay where they are" What most people never understood was that the lease was so bad, no matter what was done to make the stadium "better", it didn't matter. The Marlins didn't get money from the suites at Sun Life. The suite holders there paid the Dolphins/Stadium, not the Marlins. The only money the Marlins got from that renovated suite level was ticket money for those Club A/B/C seats. Also, the Marlins didn't get concession money, parking money, or ad revenue. The only advertising money the Marlins could collect was the outfield walls. Everything else that was sponsored or had ads on it (concourses, entrances, parking lot, etc....that stuff is worth millions per year) went to the Dolphins/Stadium.

Something else I don't get: who cares if Loria sells the team? Most people dislike this ownership anyway. So if he wants to cash in sooner than later, what difference does it make to anyone? If he sells within 7 years, the county/city benefit, so why would anyone have an issue with that? I used to care because I was afraid he'd sell to someone looking to move the team. Now that he has secured the team's future in South Florida, he can do what he wants with the team.
          Last edited by fauowls44; 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I was under the impression that as part of the agreement of the stadium, Loria wouldn't be able to sell the team for 10 years after 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
              So? This is a common misconception about the Marlins tenure at Sun Life. You used to hear this all the time: "the Marlins should just sign better players, draw more fans, and stay where they are" What most people never understood was that the lease was so bad, no matter what was done to make the stadium "better", it didn't matter. The Marlins didn't get money from the suites at Sun Life. The suite holders there paid the Dolphins/Stadium, not the Marlins. The only money the Marlins got from that renovated suite level was ticket money for those Club A/B/C seats. Also, the Marlins didn't get concession money, parking money, or ad revenue. The only advertising money the Marlins could collect was the outfield walls. Everything else that was sponsored or had ads on it (concourses, entrances, parking lot, etc....that stuff is worth millions per year) went to the Dolphins/Stadium.

Something else I don't get: who cares if Loria sells the team? Most people dislike this ownership anyway. So if he wants to cash in sooner than later, what difference does it make to anyone? If he sells within 7 years, the county/city benefit, so why would anyone have an issue with that? I used to care because I was afraid he'd sell to someone looking to move the team. Now that he has secured the team's future in South Florida, he can do what he wants with the team.
              I don't think you read Swift's post and the first sentence of mine.

I wasn't going to rehash what Swift alluded to and what everyone here knows.

Comment

Working...
              X