Yu Darvish: Marlins Don't Submit Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
    Clark Spencer said the Marlins won't be in on him.
    If this is true, I do not understand why they wouldn't be in on him. I know he's Asian in a Latin market, but does Wilson offer more from a marketing standpoint than Darvish? They were willing to offer Wilson 6/~100 (this is all a moot point if this wasn't the true offer) and that is reported what Darvish will cost between the posting fee and the contract, granted I haven't seen over how many years. Yes Darvish is a risk, but so was Wilson over 6 years. Darvish has a higher celing it would seem than Wilson and he would marketable nationwide. I guess it's purely a baseball decision by the Marlins but not sure what they see that other clubs don't. It seems they are not willing to take the risk with Darvish.

Comment

I think the major issue is the posting fee will be about half of that $100 million and they have to pay that immediately.

Comment

Only if he signs

Comment

Well, they do have to pay it immediately. But if he doesn't sign, Nippon has to pay it back.
          --------------------
          Loria has to sign for the refund.
          Last edited by HUGG; 12-08-2011, 11:53 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Perhaps Nippon Ham can get ballpark naming rights

Comment

Gammons: "Wouldn't be surprised to see the Fish in on Darvish"

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                  Gammons: "Wouldn't be surprised to see the Fish in on Darvish"
                  Well, it would make sense. The bidding war is probably going to get out of our range though (if we even have a range nowadays).

Have we had any scouts watch Darvish?

Comment

I mean, it wouldn't make any sense. That post fee is gonna be huge and I can't see a Japanese player wanting to be in Miami
                    --------------------
                    although Hugg might cry with joy if this happens
                    Last edited by Ramp; 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                      I mean, it wouldn't make any sense. That post fee is gonna be huge and I can't see a Japanese player wanting to be in Miami
                      --------------------
                      although Hugg might cry with joy if this happens
                      It would make sense since we need a pitcher and went $100 mil on CJ. Other than that I agree with you.

Looking at the guy pitch, I might cry joy too. His motion is just like pitchers in the MLB, which is unusual for a Japanese player. Spend the Cespedes/CJ money on Darvish.

What's the % of Japanese players in Miami? Less than 1 percent?

Comment

Hugg just wants to go YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Comment

Hugg's been into Japanese baseball for the better part of 5 years I'd say

Comment

Didn't Darvish post today?

How does this work, I know teams bid on him but when do we know who won?

Comment

No thank you to Darvish. Wayyyy too much money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace 77 View Post
                                Didn't Darvish post today?

How does this work, I know teams bid on him but when do we know who won?
                                four days is the posting process after that the agent will say who is the highest bidder

Comment

Working...
                                X