Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough Money for One More: Pujols, Buehrle or Wilson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DALLAS -- As if things aren't crazy enough already with the Marlins, the latest word I'm hearing is that the Marlins remain interested in Albert Pujols despite signing Jose Reyes and Heath Bell to hefty contracts. It would seem incomprehensible to think it possible. But it's true.

The Marlins remain hot on the Pujols trail despite committing $106 million to Reyes over the next six years and $27 million to Bell over the coming three. But in order to haul in Pujols, which would turn the baseball world upside down, the Marlins might have to forget about upgrading their rotation.

The Marlins like Mark Buerhle. But the veteran lefty is demanding no-trade protection and the Marlins are(so far)sticking to their guns in not conceding that contract condition. As a result, they are not overly optimistic about signing him. C.J. Wilson may be asking for too much, though given the way the Marlins are handing out cash, maybe not. Next thing you know they'll be entertaining thoughts of Manny Ramirez.

How surreal is it that the Mets, long the big spenders, were brought to their wimpering knees by the Marlins in the contest for Reyes? Or that the lead story on SportsCenter on Sunday night wasn't Tiger Woods winning his first golf tournament in two years? Or that the BCS championship matchup of LSU-Alabama had been determined. It was the Marlins and Jose Reyes.

Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode to me.
    Pujols over pitching? Possibly
    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 12-05-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Well I'm sure in case we get Pujols we trade Gaby and Dominguez + some for a 4th starter or #3ish guy. I trust in Beinfest to handle this. Imagine we get all this and we are able to keep LoMo, that would be huge!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace 77 View Post
        Well I'm sure in case we get Pujols we trade Gaby and Dominguez + some for a 4th starter or #3ish guy. I trust in Beinfest to handle this. Imagine we get all this and we are able to keep LoMo, that would be huge!
        He'd probably be making too much (projected $2.3 million,) but Edinson Volquez would be a nice risk. They need a third baseman for Rolen's replacement and it wouldn't take too much more than Dominguez to get him. Volquez is on the outside looking in on a stacked Reds rotation. He's just 28 months removed from Tommy John surgery and was a 19-game winner in 2009.
        Last edited by Miamarlin21; 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          He'd probably be making too much (projected $2.3 million,) but Edinson Volquez would be a nice risk. They need a third baseman for Rolen's replacement and it wouldn't take too much more than Dominguez to get him. Volquez is on the outside looking in on a stacked Reds rotation. He's just 28 months removed from Tommy John surgery and was a 19-game winner in 2009.
          You might as well have told us he likes redheaded white women, or nothing at all. Don't ever use wins again to make any argument, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
            I'd rather have a better team now and worry about later later.
            --------------------
            It ain't my money and who knows whats gonna happen.
            --------------------
            What if the world ends in December 2012 and we played 2012 with Buehrle when we could had Pujols.

WHAT THEN DAFT
            This. I ain't gon care in 8 years when Pujols is dying, but closing in on the all-time HR record.
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

He's gonna be "dying" well before then

/wettestblanketsincemibs

Comment

Working...
              X