The Hanley Ramirez Roller Coaster: Taking to Twitter, Showing off His Smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef View Post
    Only place he'd move as in the only place he would be willing to move?
    No I'm saying that's the only place I could imagine the Marlins thinking of moving him. Where else could you put him? CF?

Comment

Probably nowhere. I'm just curious in the sense that I wonder why the incoming fella isn't either asked to move or have fans call him a twat for not being happy about moving.

Comment

Hanley's going to play 3B; he'll learn to like it.

Comment

Not sure what more is going to happen but at this point in time I greatly dislike what the Marlins have done so far this off season.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
            Not sure what more is going to happen but at this point in time I greatly dislike what the Marlins have done so far this off season.
            You basically dislike the fact that we're no longer a small-market team.

Comment

I don't think he's ever said that.
              --------------------
              You and your strawmen.
              Last edited by Mainge; 12-07-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

He doesn't like the way the money's been spent.

My point is that when you start spending like this there's going to be great risks involved, regardless of who is signed.

They're taking risks and hoping for rewards.

He wants the team to operate like the Rays; if the Rays had the choice, they probably wouldn't operate like the Rays.

Comment

Fixed

Comment

Honestly, if (1) we all think Hanley will be back to normal, and by that I mean at least .290/.360/.500 or there abouts, and (2) will be fine at 3B, if he is going to be a prima donna and want a restructured deal, this is the best absolute time to do it coming off his shittiest year. Try and get even more club friendly years. Not that they will do this, I'm just saying.

The funny part is, Hanley will be a free agent at 31, which is the perfect age for him to land a big time 6-7 year deal as his last "big" one. If the Marlins were to extend him 2-3 years at say $20 a year (which isn't necessarily a bad deal for the Marlins, see paragraph 1), that would put him outside the ability to go for broke with a mega million deal when he's 31. That is bad for Hanley to prospectively give away his one shot at the enormous payday.

It's honestly in Hanleys best interest to NOT take an extension, be awesome for 3 years, and cash the fuck in if its only about the money. Bitching about a restructured contract to match Reyes in years, is fucking bonkers for him, and for the Marlins to "give in" to him if he is being an idiot. His agent will tell him this though. I'm sure he wasn't at the domino table.

Short answer, I expect nothing to happen and him to be awesome at 3B.

Comment

Thanks for fixing the thread title, not mk7

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post

My point is that when you start spending like this there's going to be great risks involved, regardless of who is signed.

He wants the team to operate like the Rays; if the Rays had the choice, they probably wouldn't operate like the Rays.
                        I dunno. It would be nice to be able to let a player of Carl Crawfords caliber and not miss a beat.

A nice mix of the two sides would be my preference though. Draft, player development etc while having the ability to retain home grown players and make a Reyes-like signing when it makes sense.

Comment

joecapMARLINS joe capozzi
                          #Marlins are NOT in on prince fielder & do not plan to trade Hanley Ramirez. H2r has not asked for contract restructure
                          Joe Cap also confirming those reports were false

Comment

Of course they were false, they made no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post

It's bad money management IMO. Not my money so I won't care obviously..but baseball has proven over and over again that you need to somewhat spread the wealth among the players. The Red Sox and Yankees can do this because it is a lesser % of the payroll, I'm not sure the exact number right now but assuming our payroll is 100 million we have roughly 40% of our salary tied up into the three guys we just signed. That's not a good % and isn't feasible long term.

If one of them busts it's not like we truly are the Yankees and can just go out and add another 15 million dollar per year contract. I also think all three players got over valued contracts and all three are questionable signings. Bell is an aging closer who got a contract even a young dominate closer doesn't deserve IMO, Reyes is injury prone, has little power and relies on speed...speed that could diminish as he gets older and Buerhle is a solid pitcher, but isn't dominate and to me that contract is given to a dominate pitcher, not a slightly above average pitcher who will be 33 when the season starts.

Never mind guessing on the actual players...Just the math alone makes me weary. How much further will the payroll go? The FO said it wouldn't reach 100, how are we going to resign Stanton? Morrision? Very little flexibility left. Loria doesn't strike me as the type who is going to loss big money just to win, and I just don't buy us being a big enough market to support a 100 million dollar payroll team, and in order to keep this team as is now for a couple years, it will be much higher than 100 million. not to mention our farm system is terrible, maybe the worst in baseball so it's not like we have many upcoming cheap options to plug in.

What happens if we don't make the playoffs with this team?

Lots of questions marks, just because we had money to spend doesn't mean we had to spend it which is what it seems this FO is doing.

Comment

If we make the playoffs will you suck our dick?
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X