No announcement yet.

The Hanley Ramirez Roller Coaster: Taking to Twitter, Showing off His Smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: The Hanley Ramirez Roller Coaster: Taking to Twitter, Showing off His Smile

He was the first one on stage and the last one to leave. All his teammates had exited, but Hanley Ramirez lingered a bit, dancing to the music before finally disappearing back stage and yielding the space to Pitbull.

The smile never left Ramirez’s face. Modeling the new Miami Marlins’ white home uniform during Friday’s 11.11.11 re-branding ceremony, he looked as giddy as a 3-year-old tossing on a Buzz Lightyear Halloween costume for the first time. Ramirez plans to be equally effusive throughout the 2012 season.

“I’ll tell you something, I think one of the things I changed last year was that I tried to be too serious,” Ramirez said. “My muscles got too tight. This year I’m going to try to be the same Hanley from 2006, 2007. When I was young I came, enjoyed the game, danced in the dugout. I think that helps you play the game more relaxed.”

Ramirez didn’t have much to dance about in 2011. He got off to an inexplicably poor start, batting .200 with a .593 on-base plus slugging percentage as late as June 20. He recouped somewhat, going 42 for his last 138 (.304) before an Aug. 2 shoulder injury ended his season. Ramirez underwent surgery in September and should begin baseball activities after the first of the year.

Much was made last spring training about Ramirez maturing and being ready to assume a leadership role. He took that to mean his disposition had to change, and in the end being more business-like didn’t help him lead.

“All that about being the face of the team, you try to focus so people see you as someone to follow,” said Ramirez, who turns 28 on Dec. 23. “I got away from that, from relaxing. I’ve always played with joy and that’s what I’m looking for this year.”

Orchestrating an MVP-caliber season for a winning team would help. Beyond his on-field performance, new manager Ozzie Guillen should help Ramirez stay loose as well. Who better than the outgoing Guillen to make sure Ramirez doesn’t take himself too seriously?

Another intriguing component is Jose Reyes, who is known for playing with that joie de vivre Ramirez says he lost. Should the Marlins’ run at Reyes prove successful, the impact on Ramirez will be fascinating. Presumably, Ramirez would have to yield his shortstop position. Maybe they’ll feed off each other and the 2012 National League All-Star team will have an all Marlins left side of the infield.

But what if Reyes were to take off and Ramirez struggles again? We haven’t seen plenty of evidence through the years to suggest Ramirez might not handle Reyes leapfrogging him in the hierarchy with class and dignity. However, it should be noted that during Ramirez’s prolonged rut last season by most accounts he remained supportive of his teammates and was not a disruptive force in the clubhouse.

The Marlins know they have a sensitive superstar who needs positive reinforcement. President David Samson during his weekly spot on 790 The Ticket last Wednesday said regardless of who the Marlins add, this is Ramirez’s team. He reiterated those sentiments a day later after returning from Yoenis Cespedes’ private workout for club officials in the Dominican Republic.

“The fact of the matter is Hanley is the face of our franchise,” Samson said. “He is our superstar. He is the one who will help us get another ring. No matter who we sign, Hanley is always the person, for me, who is the most important person on our team because of his ability, his strengths, his ability to change games on both the defensive and offensive sides, his personality, his exuberance. He is the Marlins.”
    Miami Marlins SS Hanley Ramirez says he got away from fun-loving approach

Nice to see Samson not say something dumb.

And obviously great to hear Hanley being so upbeat.

Comment

Hanley also just claimed to be back on twitter. Had not posted for a few months now.

Comment

He can dance in CF, not so much at 3B.
        There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Hanley just surfaced on twitter again!

HanleyRamirez Hanley Ramirez
          Working hard!!!! pic.twitter.com/JAqjd4d5

Comment

If only.....
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

Stanley is hanging out with Cabrera cause he wants to not be on this team like Miggy.

THAT FUCK

Comment

Trade him to the Arizona Fall League

Comment

He's working hard!

Comment

He sent out another pic and it's the same exact pose by the both of them

Comment

Hanley just isn't the same without his Buddy Holly glasses

Comment

He needs to shave.
                        --------------------
                        Everybody it's waiting to see what's gonna happen with me or what I gonna do right?

--------------------
                        What I am gonna do is work hard and get ready for next season because that is the only thing I can control I love y'all!!!!
                        there ya go
                        Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Look at the guns on Cabrera.

Comment

:-(

Comment

JCRMarlinsbeat Juan C. Rodriguez
                              Ozzie: Hanley has less to think about at 3B, joked doesn't have to worry about chasing balls, kicking them into OF. #marlins
                              twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X