No announcement yet.

Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to see Ozzie doing his best to prevent any additional damage to Stanley's trade value.

Comment

• I'm not sure that I understand you

Comment

• Fozzie.

Comment

• JoeFrisaro Joe Frisaro
          #Marlins Ozzie says Hanley will be fine moving to another position. Sees no problems
          twitter
          --------------------
          Hanley Ramirez has a “strong preference” to stay at shortstop, according to a major league source. His new manager with the Marlins, Ozzie Guillen, knows it.

No matter.

Guillen, in an interview with FOXSports.com Monday night, gave an emphatic, impassioned case for Ramirez not just to remain with the team, but remain its centerpiece.

In fact, Guillen said just that to the Marlins’ new shortstop, Jose Reyes, when they spoke Sunday night after Reyes agreed to a six-year, $106 million free-agent contract.

“I talked to Reyes. I said, ‘Thank you for being a part of this, a piece of the puzzle. But the puzzle is about Hanley Ramirez,’” Guillen said, recalling the conversation.

“It’s like playing chess when you protect the king and queen. That’s what we’re doing. I just want Hanley to understand that.”

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria dismissed the idea that the Marlins would trade Ramirez, an idea that has baseball people buzzing at the winter meetings because of Ramirez’s perceived unhappiness with moving to third base.

“We’re building a team,” Loria said. “It’s not about trading. I know what I want to do.”
          Guillen sees Ramirez as centerpiece
          --------------------
          Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
          Ozzie on Hanley, Part I. Will be adding to this story later. msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rose… #Marlins #MLB
          there will be more
          Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-05-2011, 11:12 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
            Am told that the Marlins talked to Hanley about moving to another position during last season. We'll see if he buys in.
            twitter

Comment

• Hanley =

Comment

• Here's the added segment to the Rosenthal article:

Guillen said he has not spoken with Ramirez since the Reyes agreement, but the two have talked several times since Guillen was named manager.

The message from Guillen to Ramirez has been consistent: We want you. We see you as the team’s franchise player, no matter who we acquire.

The Marlins met twice Monday with the agents for free-agent first baseman Albert Pujols and also have made offers to free-agent left-handers C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle.

At one point Monday night, Guillen slapped his hands together and said, “Hanley Ramirez is my guy.” When asked about the potential of the Marlins trading Ramirez, Guillen seemed taken aback.

“No. Well. Wow,” Guillen said. “I can’t say no. But I’ve been with this team for a few months. That’s the last thing we think about.

“I’m not saying yes or no. I’m not the GM. But right now, for Ozzie Guillen and the Marlins, Hanley Ramirez is the man. I don’t give a f--- who we bring in.”

Guillen said with Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio hitting in front of him, Ramirez “has a chance to be a badass, a chance to drive in 150 runs,” even be the league MVP.

As for the move from shortstop to third base, Guillen said it could keep Ramirez “fresh and strong.” Ramirez, though, is still relatively young — he turns 28 on Dec. 23. He has been quoted publicly as saying that he still sees himself as a shortstop.

While a source said that Ramirez will handle the matter with the club “professionally,” many in the game are skeptical that the relationship between the two will continue on an even keel.

But from Guillen to Loria, the Marlins are adamant that they do not want to trade Ramirez.

“The last thing we want to do is that,” Guillen said.

Comment

• AdamRubinESPN Adam Rubin
                  Marlins writers expect Jose Reyes in Dallas on Wednesday for his introduction.
                  twitter

Comment

• Press conference set for 3PM eastern time.

Comment

• Moved up:

joecapMARLINS joe capozzi
                      That #marlins press conf is Jose Reyes
                      --------------------
                      to 12:15pm est
                      --------------------
                      MLBNetwork MLB Network
                      #HotStove will now be coming on at 12pm ET with LIVE coverage of Jose Reyes' introductory press conference with the @Marlins.
                      twitter
                      Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Good timing with the lunchtime local newscasts.

Comment

• For those at work:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?to...293740780-1031

Comment

• mlb network on live for it

Comment

• Yep.

Comment

• Thanks for the link!

Comment

Working...
                                X