• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we got got

Comment

• Marlins seem far more aggressive on Reyes

By DAVID LENNON

As the Marlins push to sign Jose Reyes, the time has come for the Mets to push back, but there's no guarantee that will happen, even with the winter meetings set to begin Monday in Dallas.

On Friday, with reports surfacing that Miami is trying to lock up Reyes before what usually is a free-agent frenzy, the Mets still seemed to be on the periphery with their homegrown shortstop.

The Mets had planned to speak with Reyes' representative, Peter Greenberg, in the days leading up to the winter meetings, but the team has yet to be asked about matching any offers. A person familiar with the situation said Friday that there are no assurances the Mets will even be afforded that courtesy.

Which means that the next phone call the Mets get from Greenberg could be one saying that Reyes is on his way to Miami. Although that is an unlikely scenario, it's not out of the question, and the Mets don't seem overly enthusiastic about getting into a bidding war with the Marlins or any other club.

The Sun Sentinel reported Friday that the Marlins, despite reports to the contrary, have not given Reyes an ultimatum to accept their offer this weekend and are "prepared to wait him out through the winter meetings." With its opening offer to Reyes left on the table for more than two weeks, though, Miami could be growing impatient. The deal reportedly is worth as much as $90 million.

Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest suggested that he feels as if the team is behind schedule with its offseason makeover. (Miami reportedly has signed closer Heath Bell to a three-year, $27-million contract that has yet to be announced.) "It'd be nice to have some things done," Beinfest told the Palm Beach Post. "I'm not gonna use the word 'disappointed,' but we'd like to have some players in place."
      Source
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

• I really think it's all about the money with Reyes. I don't see him giving the Mets any kind of hometown discount.

/speculation

Comment

• @SI_JonHeyman: #brewers gm doug melvin said he plans to meet with jose reyes agents this week. Plot thickens.
          /Twitter

Comment

• Too late, he already signed here according to source

Comment

• Yes, the Brewers plan to meet with the agents for free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes at the winter meetings. No, they will not be a serious bidder for Reyes – at least not in the range of the Marlins’ reported six-year, $90 million offer.

The Brewers, like many teams, are wary of allowing media reports to set the markets for free agents. They want to hear first-hand what Reyes and other players want before determining how to proceed.
              Without Prince, Brewers won't necessarily spend big
              --------------------
              Doesn't seem Reyes is getting the attention his agent hoped for. I think most would have thought he would get over 100mil and now it seems that might not happen. Obviously there is still time for that to change.
              --------------------
              I might have spoken too soon on that:

The Marlins have offered Jose Reyes a six-year, $111MM deal, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com (Spanish link).
              Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Yea, he gon be in Miami

Comment

• The Marlins have offered Jose Reyes a six-year, $111MM deal, a source tells Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com (Spanish link). The deal would pay $106MM for six years with a $22MM option for a seventh season with a $5MM buyout.

This marks a significant increase from Miami's offer a few weeks ago, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of $90MM over six years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• I think the Marlins just ended up bidding against themselves but whatever.

Comment

• Mets would have made an offer close to our first one

Comment

• I don't see any club matching that offer.

Comment

• With that kind of offer, if true, Reyes is going to Miami. No team is going to come close to that.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          I think the Marlins just ended up bidding against themselves but whatever.
                          I agree with this. I don't think anybody was going to give 6 years, $90 million other than us.
                          Last edited by dim; 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Sweetness. Get it done

Comment

• Marlins just told all the other teams to get the fuck back.

Comment

• Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman
                                #Mets have not been alerted yet by Reyes camp that number is 6-111M from #Marlins as ESPN is reporting

Comment

Working...
                                X