Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it to it.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• I think the thread title is a little misleading. Unless I missed something, I don't see that Bowden reported we offered $100mil. I only see him reporting that if we hit 6/100, Reyes should accept.

Comment

• Fixed that.
        --------------------
        Oh, goodness. The Mets will be in bad shape draft-wise if Jose Reyes signs with the Miami Marlins.

If the Mets lose Reyes to Miami, they will get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds created from thin air, plus the Marlins' third-round pick, according to a Major League Baseball official.

Yes, not a first-round pick or second-round pick. Third round.

Here's the explanation:

Under the old and new systems, Miami's first-round pick is protected, because it is ninth overall.

Here's where it gets interesting ... A change for this offseason as part of the new basic agreement made Heath Bell as well as Michael Cuddyer, Kelly Johnson, Ryan Madson, Francisco Rodriguez and Josh Willingham a different kind of Type A free agent.

The teams that lose those players as free agents, assuming arbitration had been offered, will get basically the same type of compensation they would under the old system. But the pick will not come from the signing team.

So, for instance, the Marlins are signing Bell. Under the old system, San Diego would get a pick between the first and second rounds created out of thin air, plus Miami's second-round pick (ninth in that round). Under the new agreement, the Padres instead get two picks created from thin air -- the sandwich pick between the first and second rounds, plus pick 9a in the second round, immediately before the Marlins select.

So what happens if Miami signs two Type A free agents -- say Bell as well as Reyes? Wouldn't the Padres get 9a in the second round from thin air and the Mets get 9b from the same round, which is Miami's pick?

No, says the MLB official.

It will be treated like the old system, where San Diego gets a second-round pick as compensation (albeit not from Miami) and the Mets get a third-round pick from Miami in addition to the sandwich pick between the first and second rounds.

The official explains:

"The old system still governs the pick assignments. So, yes, one of the picks slides to the third round, and the former club losing the player with the higher Elias score would pick first (i.e., San Diego gets the second-round pick because Bell's score is 81.4. The Mets get the third-round pick because Reyes's score is 77.2).
        Mets might get 3rd-round pick for Reyes
        Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• JCRMarlinsbeat Juan C. Rodriguez
          #Marlins have not given Reyes ultimatum; prepared to wait him out thru Winter Meetings.
          twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            Fixed that.
            --------------------

Mets might get 3rd-round pick for Reyes
            and if we sign Cj wilson too it would be a forth rounder for reyes?

I would love to stick it to the mets like that lol

Comment

• I'm hearing from someone close, that Reyes just signed.

VERY credible source.

Let's wait and see
              Last edited by Big Z; 12-02-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• If you didn't tweet it, it didn't happen.
                There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• I'm hoping they announce this soon before I get Sanduskied on this board!

*Don't mean to offend anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ace 77 View Post
                    I'm hearing from someone close, that Reyes just signed.

VERY credible source.

Let's wait and see
                    It's been 15 minutes and it's not on Twitter yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ace 77 View Post
                      I'm hoping they announce this soon before I get Sanduskied on this board!

*Don't mean to offend anyone.
                      Or at the very least Bernie Fined.

Comment

• Thread title should be changed to 'Big Z Reports Marlins Have Signed Reyes'

Because he's probably as credible as Jim Bowden

Comment

• Is it from your friend that you almost got fired?

Comment

• I'm offended as fuck.
                            There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• The joke was (bernie) fine with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                                Is it from your friend that you almost got fired?
                                Haha, it's supposed to be more credible than that.

Not looking good so far though, I'm looking very bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X