No announcement yet.

Marlins Drop the Ball in 2-1 Loss to the Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right fielder Mike Stanton is 6-ft.-5 and 248 pounds.

Second baseman Omar Infante is 6 ft. and 185 pounds.

You do the math and figure out who the loser would be if the two players ever collided on a full run.

It almost happened today. It didn’t — Stanton backed off because he was afraid of plowing through Infante — and it cost the Marlins a game.

We’re talking about Alfonso Soriano’s pop fly with two outs in the fourth inning. The Cubs had runners at second and third, but the ball should’ve been the third out.

Infante took off after it. So did Stanton. Both stopped to avoid a collision. “That’s exactly why I didn’t keep going,” Stanton said.

The ball fell. Two runs scored. The Marlins lost 2-1.

“I called it. We both stood there. At the end of the day, it wasn’t caught, period. It was my ball and it wasn’t caught so that’s it,’’ Stanton said.

Infante was charged with an error, but manager Jack McKeon blamed Stanton.

“The right fielder has got to take charge. You WANT that ball. I thought Stanton should have caught that ball easily. He’s got to run him off, or run over him, if he wants it,’’ McKeon said.

McKeon said he wouldn’t have cared if Stanton plowed through Infante, so long as the ball was caught.

“The outfielder, he can’t stop. If he called it, keep going. The other guy’s got to get out of the way. That’s the difference in the ballgame right there,’’ McKeon said.

Mike Stanton didn’t want to crush a teammate, so ball drops and Florida Marlins lose

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      Because he drinks Coors Light when Sam Adams is on a summer special for $3 a pint
      I believe this is the reason. Coors Light is a beer whose advertising campaign is centered around the fact that you can put it in the refrigerator and it will get cold.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        Hanley didn't bust ass out of the box. He maybe is safe if he had. In a situation like that, with such a risky play, I don't know why we shouldn't criticize him.
        Agreed 100%

If you're not going to bust out of the box balls to the wall then just pull up at 1B and see what happens with the rest of the inning.

Comment

Working...
        X