X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Feel Stupid. Someone Help.

http://miamiherald.t...ins-lineup.html

PalmBeachPost asks the same question.

Correct me if I'm wrong (again, maybe the Marlins losing 16 of 17 has me going crazy), but I'm pretty sure that this makes no sense. In order for the Marlins to send Hanley Ramirez down, wouldn't they have to DFA him? In which case, he'd be picked up immediately by the Pirates (or whoever is first in the waiver order, considering the Pirates claimed Brandon Wood earlier this year)?

Are these professional journalists really this stupid or am I dumb? Considering they're the professionals, I really hope I'm wrong. I'm 99.9% sure I'm not, though.

Coghlan and Nolasco were sent down because they had options at the time...

This is Hanley Ramirez sixth full season in the big leagues. The Marlins can't just send him down if he "accepts the demotion," right?

Post a working link and not one that contains "..."

Comment

Hanley has never used an option, has he?
      poop

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
        Post a working link and not one that contains "..."
        Meh, sorry about that.

I don't feel like going back to them, but it's the Miami Herald/Palmbeachpost blogs for the day.

Comment

Oh. OK.
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Hanley has never used an option, has he?
            So it would be allowed?

I thought that after a certain amount of years of service time (I believe it's five) with an organization, you couldn't just continue sending the player down, etc.

The only time I have ever seen this done is when a player is rehabbing from a DL stint (like Hanley was doing not so long ago).

Comment

I don't see why the player would need to be DFA'd. He's still under contract, he still has options, and he accepts the assignment. I think it's only an issue if he's out of options.
              poop

Comment

He has to accept the assignment.. Which I doubt he would do but who knows.

Comment

Weird. I wonder if any player has ever accepted such an assignment, then.

Comment

I know some have just don't remember the players off the top of my head.

Comment

I'm almost certain Hanley has options left. However, I'm not sure about the service time rule and being able to be optioned because of it.
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        Weird. I wonder if any player has ever accepted such an assignment, then.
                        Dontrelle went down to single a back with Detroit while making ten million bucks

Comment

Brett Myers accepted a trip to AAA in 2008: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s-minors_N.htm

All irrelevant though because Hanley would tell them to go to hell.

Comment

Thanks, Madman/Hugg.
                            --------------------
                            Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                            Brett Myers accepted a trip to AAA in 2008: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s-minors_N.htm

All irrelevant though because Hanley would tell them to go to hell.
                            Yeah, probably.
                            Last edited by Erick; 06-18-2011, 08:33 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I looked it up and the rule is you have to have permission to send a player down who has five years of big league time, even if he has options left.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                              X