No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Deadline Thread: Comes And Goes Without A Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM is gonna be a competent member of baseball society when we are done with him

Comment

• Thanks MK. And if I become a stat natzi it'll be your fault.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• The Bill James Historical Abstract is awesome too, and not just for the stats. It's a fucking tome of wisdom and insight. He does like a 10 page writeup on every decade in baseball history and ranks the top 100 players at each position. You can get the updated 200? version on amazon for fairly cheap.

Also, second on Baseball Between the Numbers and Moneyball. Must haves.
        poop

Comment

• Does the iPad have moneyball and baseball between the numbers? I would get both, I have a 15 hour or so plane ride next weekend :-|

Comment

• I'm sure they're available on an ereader format.
            poop

Comment

• I would recommend this

Comment

• i dont know about other books but i read moneyball at the library

Comment

• FM21, you're still in college. Take a statistics class. If you want to work in baseball, you can't just rely on reading a bunch of stats that you assume tell you something, you gotta know how they work.

I would also recommend Moneyball (Really well written. Easy to read.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                    Does the iPad have moneyball and baseball between the numbers? I would get both, I have a 15 hour or so plane ride next weekend :-|
                    if they're not on iBooks, I'm sure they're at kindle app

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                      FM21, you're still in college. Take a statistics class. If you want to work in baseball, you can't just rely on reading a bunch of stats that you assume tell you something, you gotta know how they work.

I would also recommend Moneyball (Really well written. Easy to read.)
                      I'm in one right now. I'm doing horribly in it. It's too fast paced during the summer.

Comment

• Baseball Between the Numbers does a pretty excellent job of "dumbing down" the statistics and explaining the nuts and bolts of how they work. It's really a fantastic primer.

The only issue is it's only BaseballProspectus' stats. But it'll give you an idea of how they work.
                        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                          I'm in one right now. I'm doing horribly in it. It's too fast paced during the summer.
                          Introduction to Statistics?

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                            Introduction to Statistics?
                            Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              Baseball Between the Numbers does a pretty excellent job of "dumbing down" the statistics and explaining the nuts and bolts of how they work. It's really a fantastic primer.

The only issue is it's only BaseballProspectus' stats. But it'll give you an idea of how they work.
                              They will explain how their stats work, but a good understanding of statistics helps you understand how reliable those statistics truly are.

He wants to work in a front office. He's gotta know his way around an excel spreadsheet and actually understand concepts like correlation, z scores, and confidence intervals.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                              Yes.
                              What's giving you trouble?
                              Last edited by CrimsonCane; 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'm learning the Z and T scores now and CIs. I have no idea what they mean though .

Comment

Working...
                                X