No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Deadline Thread: Comes And Goes Without A Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah so basically add Stanton to the offer for Upton.

Also two days ago:

Cardinals made it very clear to me that there is no truth to rumors that they are considering moving Colby Rasmus at the deadline "NONE"

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
      Oh yeah so basically add Stanton to the offer for Upton.

Also two days ago:
      Come on MH, don't be a smart ass, obviously it would have to make sense to both clubs.

Just wait til the deadline, they will get desperate. Cards need pitching.

Comment

Smart ass about what?

Comment

Smart ass about what?
          The Stanton / Upton thing.

Comment

Upton's only 23 and already signed long term through 2015. Came up at 21 and has been putting up incredible numbers from the start with speed and plus defense. He's cutting down on K's now as well which makes him all the more better. It's not as crazy as you think to assume they'd ask for Stanton and nothing less if you want Upton.

/this is crazy talk anyway since they aren't going to trade him with how well they've been doing.

Comment

Upton's only 23 and already signed long term through 2015. Came up at 21 and has been putting up incredible numbers from the start with speed and plus defense. He's cutting down on K's now as well which makes him all the more better. It's not as crazy as you think to assume they'd ask for Stanton and nothing less if you want Upton.

/this is crazy talk anyway since they aren't going to trade him with how well they've been doing.
              I thought you meant Stanton, Nuñez, Nolasco, Cogz, my bad.

Yup, you're 100% right about that.

Anyways, I have never been a fan of Nolasco due to his ups and downs. It will be interesting to see what we can get for him at the deadline if he lowers his era and gets a couple more wins. His value would be at it's highest peak.

Comment

I guess while this is the topic of discussion in this thread recently I figured I'd post this from the Marlins Daily blog.

If you haven’t yet heard the news, it seems as though John Mozeliak and co. are looking to dangle their young center fielder Colby Rasmus for a top of the line package consisting of young players, gold or whatever else may be appealing to the Cards. There was speculation that the Rays would be a fit for Rasmus, or at least to the Cardinals liking, since they posses a bounty of young pitchers even if they are not expendable. If the Cardinals are looking to acquire young and top notch hurlers for Rasmus, I hope they know that Tampa Bay isn’t the only place to look.

I’m not saying the Marlins behold anything that would compare to the Rays pitching depth. They certainly do not. But it all depends on what the Cardinals are looking for. If they seek pitching prospects per say, the Rays, Blue Jays, Royals, Nationals and Braves make legitimate sense but if they are searching for essentially pitching that could help the Cardinals go for the pennant right now, the Cards might match up very well with the Fish.

Colby Rasmus has been regarded as one of the games top center fielders. In the two-and-a-half years he’s played in the Majors, he’s been above average in every stretch of the imagination. He’s posted a career wRC+ of 109 (100 is league average) and has accumulated 8.6 wins throughout the last two plus years. In addition, his walk and strikeout rates have improved from last year and the year before, something that 80% of baseball’s other center fielders would love to boast but simply cannot.

Regardless of the problematic off-the-field issues that have been clouded around the young center fielder, he’s a player who most, if not all teams would love to have roaming their outfield. The Marlins, however, need him more than want him, and it’s getting clearer by the minute that a center field upgrade is one of the most integral items on Larry Beinfest’s shopping list. Having dealt with the below average Chris Coghlan, Bryan Petersen and now Mike……Cameron (yep) as their starting center fielders, if the Marlins have any hopes of playing improved baseball in their state of the art park next year, they need some upgrades up the middle. That obviously starts with center field, as Marlins center fielders rank third to last in baseball in wins above replacement.

The question we then pose is what do the Marlins give the Cardinals for Rasmus? A few days ago, I declared my nausea for namedropping potential players to trade. And I’m now going to contradict my own thoughts, which is why I wont name drop any players. But what exactly do the Cardinals want for Rasmus? Already being one of the best center fielders in baseball, they do have the right to ask for a lot. Not elite prospects or anything, but definitely impact players. The Marlins don’t have any top 10 prospects sitting around that could be used as trade bait, but they do have Major League talent that they’ve hinted could potentially be shipped out of Miami should the right return package be in arms reach. Anibal Sanchez for one would make plenty of sense for the Cardinals. He’s controllable for two more seasons after this one (2013) while Rasmus has an additional year of team control under his belt (2014). Sanchez will be making $3.7MM this year (as he’s already made about half) and is arbitration eligible after this year and the next while the same goes for Rasmus, who is arbitration eligible until his free agent year of 2014.

The extra year of team control that Rasmus has along with the $443K he’s making this year would likely cost the Marlins another young player, possibly among the likes of Jhan Marinez or something of that sort. However, Anibal Sanchez has been one of the best arms in the game this year and has very high value. Posting a 9.23 K/9 and a 3.24 FIP halfway through the season is impressive, and not something that most pitchers have done or can do.

If the Marlins did have interest in Rasmus, such trade talks would be tough to pass up on. Of course, we’re talking about a team that hasn’t been too active in blockbuster trade talks as of recent. I do wonder if the Marlins have had discussions though as center field is clearly an area of concern for the Marlins. Colby Rasmus, one of the best center fielders in baseball simply makes too much sense for the Fish.
                Could the Marlins Take a Shot at Colby Rasmus?

Comment

It would be hard to include Sanchez in a package for Rasmus.

He is very good and consistent.
                  Last edited by Big Z; 07-14-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

And about to get very expensive, and despite the consistency, not all that special. His ERA+ this year is 109. Remember that pitching now is better than it has been in sometime and offense is down and, amazingly, a mid-3s ERA, while nice, isn't "impressive" in the way it once was. I love anibal but if you can get a solid everyday young club controlled player for him you do it. For comparison as bad as rasmus's down year looks his ops+ is 109. He is above league average at a tremendous position of need.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Makes sense. I would have thought the Fish would offer Anibal a multi-year deal after this season.

Wow, I was looking up video of Rasmus and that is the sweetest swing I have seen since Griffey Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                        I'm not going to say because no matter what answer I give, you'll disagree and more or less say I'm stupid or that it doesn't make any sense. So there is no point to.
                        So you won't give a reason why you don't like someone for fear of disagreement or being called stupid?

Was he a dick to you or something? Or does he not run hard to first base?

Comment

He wouldn't sign a ball for his professor so he got an A- in the class
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

This was posted yesterday on the MLB daily dish:

Rasmus to the Florida Marlins in exchange for Anibal Sanchez, Leo Nunez and Chad James: Now this would be a seriously ballsy move to make, on both sides. Over at Marlins Daily, Dave Gershman suggested a possible Rasmus-for-Sanchez swap, and while I like the idea, I think it's obvious that the Marlins would need to include additional value. That's where Nunez and James come in. Nunez is a trade candidate in his own right, but with the Cardinals apparently searched for late-inning help, taking on the Marlins closer kills two birds with one stone, for the lack of a better term. James, on the other hand, has had a nice turnaround to his pro career this season, although you'd never know it just from looking at his ridiculous 0-13 record on the season. (Yeah, Chad James is 0-13 with a sub-4 ERA in 18 starts this year. He's getting totally boned.)

Comment

Leo and James? Wow. He's not that good. And no ramp I've never met him so fuck off.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Then why don't you like him?

Comment

Working...
                                X