Rockies Hold Marlins Offense In Check, Marlins Lose 3-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef View Post
    Mainge said he needed to get his foot down on a couple of specific at bats. He didn't say something like Hanley will never succeed again because he's late with his foot. He didn't say Hanley is terrible this season after two games. He made a specific observation relating to a couple of at-bats. Given that those were the circumstances, it didn't really matter how many at-bats into the season it was. It was a simple observation and then you started with the Hanley don't need no help stuff. Ehe, you said something about proven fact again. Again, it was an observation, I'm not arguing that with you. Nobody said he was ruined when you responded with the Hanley is Hanley business.

Granted, none of this is worth discussing, because you already said that even when Hanley does suck, he breaks out of it completely on his own or at least implied it I guess.
    Perhaps I just didn't see the point of that discussion, considering the sample size (a couple of at-bats).

I understand what you mean, but that could honestly be said for every hitter on any given night.

And yes, for what it's worth, I don't believe that established veterans in the big leagues really need coaching all that much. Perhaps that's a moronic opinion, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post

I understand what you mean, but that could honestly be said for every hitter on any given night.
      Yeah, it wasn't meant to be anything more than what it was. A simple observation.

Originally posted by Erick View Post
      And yes, for what it's worth, I don't believe that established veterans in the big leagues really need coaching all that much. Perhaps that's a moronic opinion, but that's just my opinion.
      They don't need coaching all that much. But, they are also mostly all dumb as shit. So if they are doing a simple thing wrong that they don't usually do, they are probably too stupid to realize it. It is those instances when a coach is handy to help make that simple fix.

Comment

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be anything more than what it was. A simple observation.

They don't need coaching all that much. But, they are also mostly all dumb as shit. So if they are doing a simple thing wrong that they don't usually do, they are probably too stupid to realize it. It is those instances when a coach is handy to help make that simple fix.
        And yet, sometimes, the "simple fix" isn't a fix, at all.

Before this season began, everyone was saying that Hanley was going to be better because he was working with the hitting coach on going back to his '09swing that won him the batting title. Either Hanley's not executing that adjustment, or that adjustment just flat out sucked.

Better yet, if a certain swing won him a batting title, why did he go away from it, in the first place? This is just something I don't understand when players, coaches, etc. start saying that he's going back to his old ways, or whatever. What made him change it, in the first place? Was it coaching? If it was, the coach deserves to be fired. What should be credited to the coach and what shouldn't be credited to the coach? How do we know that these players, specifically the established veterans, don't just make the adjustments themselves, watching their plate appearances, etc.?

Another recent example of this was with Derek Jeter. Apparently, he and the great Kevin Long (they usually say he's great...then again, who doesn't look great as the hitting coach for that lineup?) were working on changing Jeter's batting stance. A couple weeks later, he had struggled so much that he just went to his regular batting stance from previous years.

Most of the time, the fix just further screws things up, if anything. And usually when a player turns it around, the coach never receives credit, so it's rather impossible to know if a coach even had any responsibility whatsoever, in regards to the turnaround.

Comment

I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying about coaching. Coaches can be helpful for watching tape and finding what one of these morons is doing differently from what makes him so good.

Comment

I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying about coaching. Coaches can be helpful for watching tape and finding what one of these morons is doing differently from what makes him so good.
            Fair enough.

Comment

Instead of having a slump in the beginning of August, Hanley is having a slump at the beginning of the season so it's magnified.

For those that are worried about Hanley, CALM DOWN.

Comment

The solution is trading Hanley for nothing.

Comment

He's on the brink of the worst month of hitting in his career since June 2006 when he hit .190 for the month.

Comment

Well if he had a month like that when he won the Rookie of the Year isn't he allowed to have a month like that in the year he's supposed to win his 2nd Rookie of the Year?

Spoiler:
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
                      The solution is trading Hanley for nothing.
                      We could probably get a couple of bench players for him

Comment

Top 5!
                        poop

Comment

Working...
                        X