Rockies Hold Marlins Offense In Check, Marlins Lose 3-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    And he's definitely had shitty luck, in regards to his batting average.
    Because he hit that one lineout the other night? Because it seems more like he's been making shitty contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
      Because he hit that one lineout the other night? Because it seems more like he's been making shitty contact.
      Well, I was just saying because his .BABIP is low, but yeah, it probably has to do with the fact that his LD% is low, as well.

Either way, we better hope that it's just an early struggle. If he doesn't produce as expected, the offense is extremely mediocre.

Comment

No, it's not either way.

Either he is fine and is getting unlucky, or something is off and he needs to make adjustments.

Comment

I've been told Hanley does not need to be told anything or make adjustments to anything. He is Hanley.

Also, there is more to understanding baseball than looking up BABIP.

Comment

It doesn't have to be either he is fine and unlucky or something is off and he needs to make adjustments.

It can be a little bit of both.

He's not this bad, but he's also not hitting particularly well right now.

My issue with discussing what is wrong is that thus far, the only concrete thing anyone has said is wrong with his swing was mainge after like the 2nd series saying he needs to get his foot down on high fastballs. Other than that, nobody really has any concrete criticisms.

I'm of the opinion that he'll almost certainly turn it around. Whatever adjustments he has to make, none of us really knows, but I'm sure he'll make them. He's too good of a hitter not too.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
              No, it's not either way.

Either he is fine and is getting unlucky, or something is off and he needs to make adjustments.
              It's probably both.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Beef View Post
              I've been told Hanley does not need to be told anything or make adjustments to anything. He is Hanley.

Also, there is more to understanding baseball than looking up BABIP.
              I think you missed my point at the time, Einstein.

1. Whatever his problem is, there's a good chance none of us know the adjustment he has to make.

2. At the time that was said, the team was what? 6-7 games into the season?

If you want to go on with this, have fun. Apparently, someone needs a hobby. Really cute of you to mention my name before I even entered the thread, though; it's nice to know you're thinking about me.
              Last edited by Erick; 04-24-2011, 12:35 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I don't think the career .313/.385/.520 guy needs advice on how to become a better hitter. Especially considering it's been a grand total of nine at-bats so far on the year.
                Your point was that he is Hanley and does not need to be told anything. The amount of at-bats part was more so just a qualifier thrown in there.

The team was two games into the season. :-)

Not forgetting what somebody said is what we do here.

Comment

For what it's worth, Hanley has already proven he's capable of making adjustments after monthly slumps.

For example, July of last year. It seemed like there were reasons to think he was regressing, but then he bounced back in August/September, like the month of July had never even happened.

Comment

Yes, Hanley will probably be alright; but his coaches will probably have to work with him.

Comment

Your point was that he is Hanley and does not need to be told anything. The amount of at-bats part was more so just a qualifier thrown in there.

The team was two games into the season. :-)

Not forgetting what somebody said is what we do here.
                      Okay, you're, uh, further strengthening my point.

Saying stuff like that two games into the season is overreaction. Nineteen games is a much better sample, as it's now nearly a month.

And I still stick with what I said. I trust the guy with those career #'s is able to make the adjustments, himself.

Obviously, his peripherals right now are alarming, but this has happened before, and he's snapped out of it.

And the whole "he needs to get his foot down" was an opinion as to why he was slumping, not necessarily a proven fact. Oh yeah, btw, did we already mention that we were TWO games into the season, at the time of this discussion?

I remember now, as he had a grand total of nine plate appearances, at the time. How do you not expect me to laugh at the comments being made in that thread?

That just so happened to be the first and only game thus far this year that the bullpen had struggled, and the team had opportunities to win that game, and didn't. I mentioned at the end of that thread that I had just found it funny that people weren't talking about that, but rather they were talking about Hanley's struggles after nine plate appearances. NINE PLATE APPEARANCES.

Comment

I think he's done

Like Rick Ankiel the pitcher

Comment

I agree with Dubs. His contract is gonna kill us.

Comment

Albatross

(and not like the fun one in Rescuers Down Under)

Comment

Mainge said he needed to get his foot down on a couple of specific at bats. He didn't say something like Hanley will never succeed again because he's late with his foot. He didn't say Hanley is terrible this season after two games. He made a specific observation relating to a couple of at-bats. Given that those were the circumstances, it didn't really matter how many at-bats into the season it was. It was a simple observation and then you started with the Hanley don't need no help stuff. Ehe, you said something about proven fact again. Again, it was an observation, I'm not arguing that with you. Nobody said he was ruined when you responded with the Hanley is Hanley business.

Granted, none of this is worth discussing, because you already said that even when Hanley does suck, he breaks out of it completely on his own or at least implied it I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                Okay, you're, uh, further strengthening my point.

Saying stuff like that two games into the season is overreaction. Nineteen games is a much better sample, as it's now nearly a month.

And I still stick with what I said. I trust the guy with those career #'s is able to make the adjustments, himself.

Obviously, his peripherals right now are alarming, but this has happened before, and he's snapped out of it.

And the whole "he needs to get his foot down" was an opinion as to why he was slumping, not necessarily a proven fact. Oh yeah, btw, did we already mention that we were TWO games into the season, at the time of this discussion?

I remember now, as he had a grand total of nine plate appearances, at the time. How do you not expect me to laugh at the comments being made in that thread?

That just so happened to be the first and only game thus far this year that the bullpen had struggled, and the team had opportunities to win that game, and didn't. I mentioned at the end of that thread that I had just found it funny that people weren't talking about that, but rather they were talking about Hanley's struggles after nine plate appearances. NINE PLATE APPEARANCES.
                                You still don't understand what my point was. Doesn't matter though, he blows right now.
                                --------------------
                                Mainge said he needed to get his foot down on a couple of specific at bats. He didn't say something like Hanley will never succeed again because he's late with his foot. He didn't say Hanley is terrible this season after two games. He made a specific observation relating to a couple of at-bats. Given that those were the circumstances, it didn't really matter how many at-bats into the season it was. It was a simple observation and then you started with the Hanley don't need no help stuff. Ehe, you said something about proven fact again. Again, it was an observation, I'm not arguing that with you. Nobody said he was ruined when you responded with the Hanley is Hanley business.

Granted, none of this is worth discussing, because you already said that even when Hanley does suck, he breaks out of it completely on his own or at least implied it I guess.
                                This. I wasn't making any grandiose statements, just stating an observation I had made on literally two swings.
                                Last edited by Mainge; 04-24-2011, 01:01 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X