Bullpen Masterful As Marlins Take Series in Atlanta, 6-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    How do you know he didn't have to dive for that ball?

And yeah, I watched Edmonds play. He was a well above average CF'er, both by observation and statistically. We'd be in pretty damn good shape in CF if Coghlan starts playing the position like Edmonds.
    Because I wasn't born blind perhaps?

Comment

just saw the catch for the first time

he did not need to dive for that, and 28 other CFer in the major leagues make that catch, one way or another

well hit ball, but needs to be caught and it was caught

Comment

Your last paragraph is what makes this performance from the pen not so "masterful."

Pretty sure that's Lou's point.
        And my point is that you're nitpicking.

4 IP, 1.00 WHIP, 0 ER, 3 Ks is pretty god damned good. Why do you have to quibble?

It's the fucking definition of quibbling.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
        I mean, yeah, Edmonds dove a lot when he didn't need to.

But he was a really good CFer.
        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-14-2011, 10:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        poop

Comment

The bullpen can never satisfy on this site. We should bring back Pinto and Jorge Julio.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Here's the problem with this:

That ball very easily could have been hit just as hard, but right at Coghlan, and you aren't killing Sanches for it. Or it could have been 5 feet further to the gap and you aren't talking about Coghlan at all.

Like I said before, hard hit balls happen. Sometimes they are hits, sometimes they aren't. Sanches got lucky there. That's it. It doesn't mean the bullpen pitched poorly. It means he got some luck, something that didn't happen very often to our relievers last year.
            Exactly. And I didn't say they pitched poorly. Besides Sanches getting lucky by Coghlan, and sure add in the exact fielding metric zone it was hit too also, the bullpen blows that game and everyone is bitching about how the bullpen sucks. They got fucking lucky tonight. And it's mainly because Coghlan pulled that catch out of his ass.

Comment

Perhaps you were, considering your opinions on Jim Edmonds.

According to you, any decent CF'er would've caught that ball standing up. Then you mention Jim Edmonds, who was well above average. Your points are awesome, really.

Comment

Jim Edmonds had a knack for turning ordinary plays into diving plays

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                  The bullpen can never satisfy on this site. We should bring back Pinto and Jorge Julio.
                  It's more about Chris Coghlan turning into a pretty god damn good centerfielder rather overnight
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  Did lou go from the guy that used to tell Swift we were going to win 95 games every year to being madmanangry?
                  I have never said we would win 95. Keep being you. However, since the great Delgado sell off when we were destined to lose 110 like Swift said, I've consistently maintained this is a 78-85 win ball club and it's not the end of the fucking world. I've been wrong twice. 2007 they were under, 2009 because they were over. I fucking suck
                  Last edited by lou; 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Exactly. And I didn't say they pitched poorly. Besides Sanches getting lucky by Coghlan, and sure add in the exact fielding metric zone it was hit too also, the bullpen blows that game and everyone is bitching about how the bullpen sucks. They got fucking lucky tonight. And it's mainly because Coghlan pulled that catch out of his ass.
                    You're ridiculous.

Pulled that catch out of his ass.

If we lost, I'm not bitching about the bullpen.

Maybe that's because I don't bitch as much as others, but while the bullpen is going to be much better this year, it will still blow games. I won't bitch about how they suck anytime that happens, because that's not what it will mean.

Comment

Perhaps you were, considering your opinions on Jim Edmonds.

According to you, any decent CF'er would've caught that ball standing up. Then you mention Jim Edmonds, who was well above average. Your points are awesome, really.
                      Any decent centerfielder would have caught that ball, and Edmonds dove for balls that could have been caught standing for his entire career.

Comment

Seen the catch 5 more times. It's seriously a catch every major league CFer in baseball should make. Should we give more credit to Coghlan because he's played the position for a few innings? Absolutely. Hell, we have two guys on the bench that make that catch too.

If you want to see we're lucky, it's that the ball wasn't launched into the seats. We weren't lucky that Coghlan caught that ball though. He should have been sent down if he didn't make that catch.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          Maybe that's because I don't bitch as much as others, but while the bullpen is going to be much better this year, it will still blow games. I won't bitch about how they suck anytime that happens, because that's not what it will mean.
                          Yes.

Beef does not overreact like most people. He has a very good sense of context with these things.

Except for Stanton.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            I remember Chris Coghlan preventing 3-4 in one play on a full extension dive. This just shocks me everyone wants to suck the bullpens dick when they were 1 rather amazing play from giving up 3+.
                            Full extension dive?

Not a fucking chance.

Comment

Any decent centerfielder would have caught that ball, and Edmonds dove for balls that could have been caught standing for his entire career.
                              Why because your eyes told you that? Perhaps your eyes are deceiving you?

Considering Jim Edmonds was a very good CF'er throughout his career, bringing him up in this thread is dumb.

And no one's really going to win this argument, anyway, so I'll just stop. Tell me when you have actual proof that he really didn't have to dive for that ball. And the actual proof can't be "OMGZ MY EYES TOLD ME."

Please. He dove on a hard hit ball with the bases loaded and made the catch. That's all we know. It's not as if he didn't have to run to get to that ball before diving, either.

I guess you won't be satisfied with a CF'er, unless we get Michael Bourn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                Full extension dive?

Not a fucking chance.
                                I think his torso even curled up a bit to make sure the ball didn't hit him in the face

Comment

Working...
                                X