Bullpen Masterful As Marlins Take Series in Atlanta, 6-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lou View Post
    I also love how you take everything to sheer extremes. Yes, I'm rioting because Choate doesn't have a .000 average.
    Well, you're not rioting, but you're criticizing him, which is stupid.
    poop

Comment

It was not an awesome awesome diving catch. That is a fucking extreme and my response was to highlight what extremes look like.

Comment

The standard for awesome seems to have fallen greatly.

As I said in the game thread, it was an Edmonds-esque catch. Completely unnecessary dive.

Comment

Also, don't call my comment dumb while saying that "should" be a triple in most situations. If we had a centerfielder that would be expected to play that into a triple, we'd need a new centerfielder far more than we need a new bench.

Comment

Marlin highlights

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
              The people who thought that Coghlan catch was made of magic probably used to think Dan Uggla looked like a ballerina going after pop-ups
              You, yourself, said the Coghlan play was "rather amazing."
              I don't see what the big deal is; it's silly to assume that any average CF'er would've made that look easy as some people seem to be doing. It was a game-saving catch.

Once defensive #'s come out, assuming Coghlan keeps playing this way, people won't be saying the same things once they see the #'s because I'm sure they won't be horrible.

Saying that any average CF'er makes that catch on his feet as Madman did is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                a laser that should/would have been at least a triple in most circumstances, but for Coghlan making an awesome awesome diving catch?
                Here's the problem with this:

That ball very easily could have been hit just as hard, but right at Coghlan, and you aren't killing Sanches for it. Or it could have been 5 feet further to the gap and you aren't talking about Coghlan at all.

Like I said before, hard hit balls happen. Sometimes they are hits, sometimes they aren't. Sanches got lucky there. That's it. It doesn't mean the bullpen pitched poorly. It means he got some luck, something that didn't happen very often to our relievers last year.
                poop

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                  The standard for awesome seems to have fallen greatly.

As I said in the game thread, it was an Edmonds-esque catch. Completely unnecessary dive.
                  Whatever that means.

Comment

And no, guy that proposes stupid fucking trades while taking his time to also discuss the potential money involved in those not potential trades, I would not bitch at Coghlan for the bullpen loading the bases and the like, that wasn't Coghlan's fault, never said what you have somehow taken from my words. But, I wouldn't be so pleased with Coghlan playing that ball into a triple or an inside the park homerun; for that, I would wonder aloud how Coghlan could possibly do what he didn't end up doing.

Comment

It means he dove for a fucking ball that he didn't have to. Did you never watch Edmonds play?

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        Whatever that means.
                        Edmonds is notorious for diving when it isn't necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                          Here's the problem with this:

That ball very easily could have been hit just as hard, but right at Coghlan, and you aren't killing Sanches for it. Or it could have been 5 feet further to the gap and you aren't talking about Coghlan at all.

Like I said before, hard hit balls happen. Sometimes they are hits, sometimes they aren't. Sanches got lucky there. That's it. It doesn't mean the bullpen pitched poorly. It means he got some luck, something that didn't happen very often to our relievers last year.
                          Your last paragraph is what makes this performance from the pen not so "masterful."

Pretty sure that's Lou's point.

Comment

If you can actually watch that highlight clip and think that play qualifies as amazing, awesome, or was a ball that the average centerfielder would not have caught, please wear tin foil on your head from now on so we know who you are in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                              You, yourself, said the Coghlan play was "rather amazing."
                              You might want to look into a word or two prior to the part you quoted. I don't know if you missed it or if you selectively quoted. If it is the latter, it'd be pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                                It means he dove for a fucking ball that he didn't have to. Did you never watch Edmonds play?
                                How do you know he didn't have to dive for that ball?

And yeah, I watched Edmonds play. He was a well above average CF'er, both by observation and statistically. We'd be in pretty damn good shape in CF if Coghlan starts playing the position like Edmonds.

Comment

Working...
                                X