No announcement yet.

Bullpen Masterful As Marlins Take Series in Atlanta, 6-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He didn't need to dive for the catch, he did but he could have made the play with out it.

Comment

Definitely did not need to dive. I commented on that at the time.

Comment

I don't even get why you are upset, very rarely does the bullpen even get applauded on this site. But now everyone sucks the bullpens dick?

Comment

The pen gave up 0 runs in 4 innings.

/story

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Randy Choate will give up hits to LHB. He will just give up less of them than most other pitchers would. That he gave up one hit is kind of nit picky to criticize.

The bullpen did 4 IP, 4 BR, 3 Ks. That's pretty god danged good. Maybe not masterly, but pretty god danged good.
            If Coghlan doesn't make that play, it's 3 runs charged to the bullpen and the game is over.

Masterful could describe the last 3 innings, but if not for Coghlan's catch, the Dunn/Hensley/Nunez trio never happens tonight.

Leo still makes me nervous, for what it's worth.

Comment

Did lou go from the guy that used to tell Swift we were going to win 95 games every year to being madmanangry?

Comment

I hate when people play the "if" game.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                  If Coghlan doesn't make that play, it's 3 runs charged to the bullpen and the game is over.

Masterful could describe the last 3 innings, but if not for Coghlan's catch, the Dunn/Hensley/Nunez trio never happens tonight.

Any decent centerfielder makes that play.

On his feet.

It's a normal hard-hit ball for an out.

Comment

Coghlan had to dive for that. Even if you think the dive was unnecessary, that's still a difficult play on a hard-hit ball. Every CF'er is not Michael Bourn, who could probably make that play standing up.

And I don't think Lou was expecting Choate to not allow a hit to a lefty all year; he's just saying that tonight, he just so happen to not do his job.

Dunn, Hensley, and Leo did well, but Choate and Sanches are part of the pen, as well.

Coghlan's catch was more masterful than the bullpen, in general. I think that's his point, and I agree. Without Coghlan's catch, it's 3 earned runs charged to the pen, and the last 3 innings never happen. He saved the game.

Comment

If no one was playing in centerfield, yes, that is 3 earned runs. Fortunately, you still get to put 9 guys out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                        Any decent centerfielder makes that play.

On his feet.

It's a normal hard-hit ball for an out.
                        lol ok.
                        Cody Ross was a pretty good CF'er, and I'm pretty sure he would've had to dive for that ball.

Again, not every CF'er has Michael Bourn's God given speed.

That was a difficult play.

Comment

ehe I'm amused by the fact this is the discussion after the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post

Hard hit balls happen all of the time. Sometimes, they are hit right at guys, sometimes they fall into the gaps, and sometimes Chris Coghlans run to them and fall down while catching them.

The bullpen was undeniably great 75% of the time, and wasn't great but still didn't allow a run 25%. You guys are nitpicking.
                            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                              If he turns that into an inside-the-park homerun then I'm bitching at Coghlan.

But yeah, anytime Choate doesn't give up a .0000000000000 avg to lefties, we should riot.

It wasn't a full extension dive. It wasn't a rather amazing play. It was a big play. A good one at a big time.
                              Inside the park wouldn't matter. The game is over if he doesn't make that catch and the Marlins aren't coming back. You would bitch at Coghlan for the bullpen loading the bases and Sanches giving up a laser that should/would have been at least a triple in most circumstances, but for Coghlan making an awesome awesome diving catch? Really? This is Joe Morgan stupid. Marlins2003 stupid. I mean, loss for words stupid. Huh?

I also love how you take everything to sheer extremes. Yes, I'm rioting because Choate doesn't have a .000 average. I'm definitely not pointing out that save for a great catch, everyone would be saying verbatim, "same old shit. bullpen sucks."

It's awesome to see Dunn, Clay, and Leo take care of business, but we don't even get there without that Catch. We got lucky tonight. And yes, that's baseball.

Comment

The people who thought that Coghlan catch was made of magic probably used to think Dan Uggla looked like a ballerina going after pop-ups

Comment

Working...
                                X