Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather see him rest it at this point I think.

Comment

• Yeah the two starts in September don't matter to me
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Its highly unlikely we catch them with 5 or 6 teams in the way, but I guess if it did happen it would be good to have JJ ready to go. But, if he feels 100% healthy and if having no discomfort I don't think it could end up hurting him anymore. They have been very cautious with him during this injury and I don't think they are going to take any chances with it. It would also be reassuring to the team I'm sure to know he is fully recovering and will be ready to go at the beginning of next season rather than hoping everything is better come next February.

Comment

• Josh Johnson doesn't know whether he will pitch in a game on any level before the season ends, but he hopes to at least head into the offseason not worrying about his right shoulder.

"I would like it," Johnson said. "I don't know if I would need a big league game. That's the part where one day I think yes, and one day no. What if I just go up there, throw to Minor League hitters, get a good [simulated] game in, feel great, velocity's there, location's there? I'd be pretty good with that."

Florida placed the ace on the 15-day disabled list on May 21, retroactive to May 17, with right shoulder inflammation, but Johnson was moved to the 60-day DL on June 15.

The two-time All-Star had experienced some shoulder tightness since Spring Training, but he felt significant discomfort during his May 16 start against the Mets, when his typical 95-96 mph velocity dropped to 90-91.

Before he went on the DL, Johnson was 3-1 with a 1.64 ERA in nine starts.

When Johnson initially went on the DL, he believed it would take only two to three weeks for his strength to get back and, "I thought I would be good to go."

"I don't know how it really happened to where it did that, but now I know all the stuff to do to keep it from happening again," Johnson said.

Johnson resumed throwing off the mound on June 17, and had tossed three or four bullpen sessions since then without incident until he experienced tightness.

On June 29, Johnson underwent tests and had his right shoulder examined by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

Johnson received a cortisone injection and was told by Andrews not to throw for 10-14 days

"[He told me], 'It's going to be longer,'" Johnson said. "'Just be patient with it and make sure to get it right.'"

In hindsight, Johnson believes the time he took off to recover wasn't enough in order to strengthen his shoulder.

Before the setback, Johnson had hoped to return after the All-Star break, when he could've been reinstated on July 16 during the Marlins' road series against the Cubs.

"I just didn't get enough time off," Johnson said. "The time off was key. I think I only took four days off, and that definitely wasn't enough time. While I was throwing, obviously it didn't feel great -- didn't hurt -- but didn't feel great.

"There was a week in there where it felt really good and I thought, 'Maybe this is a good sign,' but then after the fourth bullpen, I went to throw the next day and it still jumped back up."

Since then, Johnson has been working with a physical therapist based in Miami, and he has resumed his throwing program by playing catch. On Wednesday, he threw for the fourth time at 75 feet. His next step is 90 feet on Friday.

Johnson understands the importance of listening to what his body tells him, and how it reacts to new things.

"It's a lot better," Johnson said of his shoulder. "It's not throwing to get loose, like how it was before. It's loose. Everything's going to plan so far. It's early, but that's what you want whenever you're playing catch."

With the end of the Minor League season approaching, Johnson doesn't know whether he would be ready in time to make rehab starts. His goal is to progress over the next two weeks and then make a decision.

"Time is really short right now, so that's the only bad part about it is getting down to where it's going to be close to how many starts I could get or if I get any," Johnson said. "It's on that line of uncertainty.

"I want to get healthy whether it's the end of this year or next year, whatever it is. You say you want to get back and healthy, but as long as I feel good, it gives myself a peace of mind for the offseason knowing that I'm doing things to take myself in the right direction."
          JJ wants peace of mind heading into offseason

Comment

• I saw him eating at Chipotle today.
            poop

Comment

• What arm was he using to eat

Comment

• He held his to-go bag I'm his right hand.

Progress!
                poop

Comment

• You're posting on your phone I'm guessing

Happens to us all

Comment

• you didn't talk to him?

U COULDA GOTTIN TEH SC00P!

Comment

• then you could have gotten his phone number and texted him and gotten updates about player movement mere minutes after the moves were reported in the media
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• You should have put him on the phone with MK7.
                        There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Not that we weren't expecting this, by Beinfest has basically stuck a fork in JJ for the year.

Q. Do you have any J.J. update, where he is right now?

Beinfest: Hopefully he's going to get on the mound in the next day or two. Next day or two or three.

Q. If that happens and there are no setbacks, should he be on the hill before the season ends?

Beinfest: I doubt it. I don't think in the major leagues. Maybe in our -- I don't know where. Maybe in our mini-camp. Maybe in a simulated action. At this point, is it possible? I guess. But he's just getting on the mound now -- Sept. 1. He's got 27 days to get all the way ramped up. We just want to get him on the mound, even if it's simulated in Jupiter and just have him feel good and tell us that he feels good.

Q. Do you think with that scenario, when the season ends, you'll have a better idea for 2012?

Beinfest: I hope so. When you rewind this whole thing , we thought it was going to be a two week thing. That was four months ago. We all need to know. He needs to know and we need to know. I think we'll all feel better about things if he can get through this throwing program, get on the mound, and feel good about things.
                          Beinfest on Hanley, J.J.

Comment

• We need to fire all of our conditioning staff. I have been saying this for years.

Comment

• JJ has never pitched a full major league season. I don't think this one is on the conditioning staff.

Comment

• Yeah that's really silly.

Comment

Working...
                                X