X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
    why?

question
    Because I'm not a fan of a mediocre 1B playing 3B.
    And if they sign Cantu, he won't be getting a minor league contract. Some teams want him as a stopgap 1B (Padres, for example); no team wants him as a 3B, however, and there's a reason for that.

Cantu doesn't fit what this team needs.

There are guys I'd rather take a chance on in free agency over Cantu, and this doesn't even take trades (like getting a Jeff Keppinger who's on the block, for example) into account.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by jay576 View Post
    I also wish we would discuss Mike Cameron.
    $7 million.
    Plus, why would the Red Sox trade him, anyway? They're going to need Cameron.
    Last edited by Erick; 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
      Because I'm not a fan of a mediocre 1B playing 3B.
      And if they sign Cantu, he won't be getting a minor league contract. Some teams want him as a stopgap 1B (Padres, for example); no team wants him as a 3B, however, and there's a reason for that.

Cantu doesn't fit what this team needs.

There are guys I'd rather take a chance on in free agency over Cantu, and this doesn't even take trades (like getting a Jeff Keppinger who's on the block, for example) into account.
      Name them. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
        Name them. Just curious.
        -Aybar (switch hitter, a lot more versatile)
        -Dobbs (lefty bat off the bench; Dominguez doesn't make the team, and he can platoon with Helms at 3B, as a stopgap)
        -Pedro Feliz on a minor league deal (superior defender)
        -Joe Crede on a minor league deal
        -Eric Chavez on a minor league deal

Comment

are you for fucking real? did you just find the worst third basemen in the world just to make a point?

willy aybar had a .654 ops last year. he also played all of 7 games at 3b last year (1 start) and owned an .857 fielding percentage. career fielding percentage of .946. he is not a third baseman. his "versatility" is because he's a middle infielder, one with no speed at that. i'd rather have bonerface playing 3b, at least he can steal. no doubt he could ops .650.

dobbs hit .196 last year. ONE FUCKING NINETY-SIX. against righties he hit .197/.258/.340. in 2009 he hit .238/.290/.381 against them. yeah, solid platoon right there.

feliz had a .533 ops last year. he was quite possibly the worst regular in the majors. he had a sub-700 ops the year before as well. i have 0 doubt in my mind that dominguez could put up a higher ops than feliz with much better defense. and while we're talking about defense, he used to be fantastic, but he's declined TREMENDOUSLY. last year his UZR/150 was -4.9. better than cantu, sure, but with his non-existent bat and his fielding downslide he isn't worth any more than dominguez is.

eric chavez has played about 3 games over the last 4 seasons. when he has played it's pretty evident he no longer has "it" and with his back problems is probably a shtitier defender than a rocking chair.

joe fucking crede? are you for real? his ops+ over the last three seasons is 83. OH, AND HE DIDN'T PLAY LAST YEAR. Also he's had back surgery like 80 times.

not only are these awful awful options, but they're the types of decisions that would leave everyone bitching. if you thought boner at 3b was awful in 09, literally every one of these is a worse decision. the only one with decent upside potential is chavez and i'm fairly certain he'll find MLB employment somewhere.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Well, Cantu put up a .695 OPS last year, .642 after April. He's really bad.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
              are you for fucking real? did you just find the worst third basemen in the world just to make a point?

willy aybar had a .654 ops last year. he also played all of 7 games at 3b last year (1 start) and owned an .857 fielding percentage. career fielding percentage of .946. he is not a third baseman. his "versatility" is because he's a middle infielder, one with no speed at that. i'd rather have bonerface playing 3b, at least he can steal. no doubt he could ops .650.

dobbs hit .196 last year. ONE FUCKING NINETY-SIX. against righties he hit .197/.258/.340. in 2009 he hit .238/.290/.381 against them. yeah, solid platoon right there.

feliz had a .533 ops last year. he was quite possibly the worst regular in the majors. he had a sub-700 ops the year before as well. i have 0 doubt in my mind that dominguez could put up a higher ops than feliz with much better defense. and while we're talking about defense, he used to be fantastic, but he's declined TREMENDOUSLY. last year his UZR/150 was -4.9. better than cantu, sure, but with his non-existent bat and his fielding downslide he isn't worth any more than dominguez is.

eric chavez has played about 3 games over the last 4 seasons. when he has played it's pretty evident he no longer has "it" and with his back problems is probably a shtitier defender than a rocking chair.

joe fucking crede? are you for real? his ops+ over the last three seasons is 83. OH, AND HE DIDN'T PLAY LAST YEAR. Also he's had back surgery like 80 times.

not only are these awful awful options, but they're the types of decisions that would leave everyone bitching. if you thought boner at 3b was awful in 09, literally every one of these is a worse decision. the only one with decent upside potential is chavez and i'm fairly certain he'll find MLB employment somewhere.
              No one bitches about minor league deals.

I would bitch if we got Cantu on a non-minor league deal because...well, he really really really sucks, too.

Also, you're using fielding % over the course of 7 games to prove that a player is bad defensively? Really?

As for Dobbs...check his career #'s?

Oh, and did I mention that Cantu really really really sucks, too?

How about we just get none of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                How about we just get none of them?
                This.

Although I admit Chavez and Crede are somewhat interesting but only on minor league deals at that.

As for my Mike Cameron comment it was only because of his name being mentioned. I had know understanding of his current contract and just looked at how he has performed recently.

I'm really not concerned about the third base situation although I would like to see more potential options in center field

Comment

Working...
                X