Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO YOU MUST KILL THE STOPGAPS

Comment

I think we're a little early about worrying about position arrangement.

I think there are 4 guys out there not currently in the organization who will crack the opening day 25 man roster, just from the position players. If you're wondering

-Backup Catcher, can't see Bake being ready, and Hayes/Davis not the answer
      -A center fielder, not necessarily to start. We can call this the platoon/4th outfielder.
      -A lefty bench bat for general Mike Lamb suckitude
      -A more of a slugging option 3B, which I think Dominguez is in AAA until at least June

Comment

Could we carry Bake as that lefty bench bat?

I think the last article I read that was posted here stated it's more of a concern with him throwing and otherwise he would be ready for spring training.

Depending on who the rest of the bench is Baker could work.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
          I think we're a little early about worrying about position arrangement.

I think there are 4 guys out there not currently in the organization who will crack the opening day 25 man roster, just from the position players. If you're wondering

-Backup Catcher, can't see Bake being ready, and Hayes/Davis not the answer
          -A center fielder, not necessarily to start. We can call this the platoon/4th outfielder.
          -A lefty bench bat for general Mike Lamb suckitude
          -A more of a slugging option 3B, which I think Dominguez is in AAA until at least June
          I read today that Mark Reynolds might be on the block.

Comment

He hit .198 last year and makes $5mil in 11, $7.5 in 12.

Comment

That slugging option at 3B will be Donnie Murphy/Wes Helms.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                Not to mention 211 strikeouts (3 consecutive years of 200+ strikeouts).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                  Still managed to OPS .753. His career OPS is .817. I highly doubt he hits .198 again. I mean, the year before he hit .260 and OPSed .892.

Comment

Reynolds' BABIP was .257 last year. The three years prior, he was at .338, .323, and .378, which would seem to indicate a turnaround was a near certainty. But he also hit the ball in the air much more last year (higher FB%, lower LD%), and if he can't turn that around he's not going to hit for a significantly better average.

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                      Reynolds' BABIP was .257 last year. The three years prior, he was at .338, .323, and .378, which would seem to indicate a turnaround was a near certainty. But he also hit the ball in the air much more last year (higher FB%, lower LD%), and if he can't turn that around he's not going to hit for a significantly better average.
                      Are we seriously judging him based on batting average though? He walks a ton and is pretty much a lock for 30+ homers. Even if he hits .230, he could still be a fairly valuable bat based on that. That said, this is pretty much moot, because I doubt we'll move on Reynolds anyway.

Comment

Oh yeah, judging him on his BA is silly if he's still putting up an acceptable OBP.

Comment

His splits outside of Arizona were...yeesh

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                            His splits outside of Arizona were...yeesh
                            Just last season. He actually hit better on the road in '09, and in '08 and '07 the differences were pretty negligible.

Comment

Working...
                            X