Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exactly MH

Comment

• I think I would throw in as much as possible, as long as it is reasonable, in order to keep LoMo, he is an OBP monster.

Comment

• Just not going to happen. LoMo is the key to any deal.

Comment

• I don't know if Upton is worth losing LoMo along with all the other pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
            I don't know if Upton is worth losing LoMo along with all the other pieces.

Comment

• Of course you don't.... that's why you refuse to give him up in any trade scenario that you have listed.

Comment

• I saw we offer Nolasco, Bonifacio, Volstad, Nunez, and CC not only for Upton but Daniel Hudson too.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                  Lol I know I know. Let's see what happens next week at the meetings.

Comment

• The more I think about this, the less I like it. With the backloaded Hanley contract, Upton's backloaded deal only makes sense if we're fine with a (minimum) $80 million payroll (thus letting us keep Stanton and JJ or some other stud SP and an above replacement level bullpen).

Upton is a hell of a get for a team like Boston or the Mets or the Rangers who could go out, grab him and end up not being "right" and still be fine.

We can't afford to be wrong on Upton, like literally cannot afford it. I'd rather spend Upton's 2013 money on whomever the consensus best short term position player is and keep Stanton around and still have wiggle room for another player.

Comment

• ugh, don't deal Emilio.

/not serious.

Comment

• At the General Managers meetings last month when word filtered out that the Diamondbacks were willing to listen on Justin Upton, the Marlins reportedly were among the teams most interested. Don’t hold your breath for a blockbuster Winter Meetings trade. If the Diamondbacks end up moving the budding superstar it won’t be to the Marlins,a source confirmed.

The plan remains for Chris Coghlan to play center field. Friday,President of Baseball Operations LarryBeinfest said hewould notpinball Coghlan all around the diamond. If Matt Dominguez does not start the seasonon the big league club, theMarlins will look at some combination of Omar Infante, Emilio Bonifacioand Wes Helms to cover second and third.

Here’s another name for that mix: Ruben Gotay. The Marlins signed the former Royal, Met and Brave to a minor league deal. All but nine of Gotay’s 151 career starts have been at second base. The switch-hitting Gotay, a .255 lifetime hitter, also can play third. Gotay, who turns 28 on Christmas Day,last appeared in a major league game on Sept. 28, 2008 for the Braves. He spent last season at Triple-A Memphis in the Cardianals’ organization, batting .285 with a .410 on-base percentage in 473 at-bats.
                        Disregard Justin Upton rumors

Comment

• There's much wrong with the above quoted box

Comment

• can't fucking believe coghlan is really going to play center
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                              can't fucking believe coghlan is really going to play center
                              On this note;

On short notice, Chris Coghlan proved in 2009 that he could adapt to left field. He went on to win the National League Rookie of the Year Award that season.

The Marlins are confident that Coghlan can now make a similar adjustment to center field.

After trading Cameron Maybin to the Padres a few weeks ago, Florida informed Coghlan that he would be switched to center field.

Coghlan's robs a homer
                              00:00:45
                              7/10/10: Chris Coghlan makes a leaping catch to rob Chris Snyder for the second out of the fourth inning
                              Tags: defense, Florida Marlins, More From This Game, Chris CoghlanShare:
                              Facebook
                              Twitter
                              Email
                              Related Video

Coghlan's running catch

Coghlan's amazing catch

Coghlan's strong throw
                              The decision to play the 25-year-old in center came several months after the Marlins had asked him to move from the outfield to third base. The fact that Coghlan has never played a game at the professional level in center field raises questions about whether the club is setting itself up for another move.

President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said on Friday that isn't the case.

"We like Chris Coghlan. We like him in this lineup," Beinfest said. "The way he adapted to left field -- he developed into a pretty good left fielder in a short period of time. We feel he can do that in center field. As long as the knee is healthy, and there is no reason to believe it is not going to be, he has good instincts on the baseball field. We think he's going to be a good center fielder."

Coghlan is recovering from surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. His recovery is on track, and he is expected to be at full strength when Spring Training opens.

The Marlins have already had an active offseason, which is one reason why they aren't expected to make a big splash at the Winter Meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., beginning Monday.

"I know there is going to be some speculation about center field," Beinfest said. "But when we made the move for Cameron, we had already had that internal discussion. We thought Chris could handle center field."

A natural infielder, Coghlan had been bracing to move to third base since Jorge Cantu was traded to the Rangers in July. But Coghlan suffered his meniscus tear and missed the rest of the season.

Beinfest didn't rule out the possibility of Coghlan someday returning to the infield, but the organization clearly wants his focus to be strictly on center.

"We don't want to play pinball with Chris," Beinfest said. "He's an important part of this team. I don't think anybody wants to be bounced around. I explained that to him when I spoke to him. I said, 'You're not going to get a call from me every couple of months with a new idea.'

"That's part of the attraction of Chris as a player, though. He has versatility. We know he can play second, we know he can play third. We know he can play left field. We have a very good feeling that he can play center field. Those are all good attributes."

The knee injury limited Coghlan to 91 games this past season, and he batted .268. In left field, he had a .994 fielding percentage and seven assists.

With Coghlan projected in center field, the Marlins are giving prospect Matt Dominguez every chance to win the third-base job. Defensively, Dominguez draws comparisons to Mike Lowell with the way he handles the position.

How he adapts to big league pitching is the question. At Jacksonville, Dominguez batted .252 with 14 homers and 81 RBIs.

If Dominguez isn't considered ready, the Marlins may consider going with Wes Helms or Emilio Bonifacio at third base. Another possibility, Beinfest said, is Omar Infante, who right now is projected at second base.

There could be a scenario where Bonifacio plays second base and Infante plays third.

"Matt Dominguez will come in and complete," Beinfest said. "Wes Helms can play over there. If it works out that [Infante] is at third, and Bonifacio is at second, and that's our best club at the start of the year, so be it.

"We have some people who can move around and help us defensively improve the club."
                              Marlins confident Coghlan can man center

Comment

• Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                                can't fucking believe coghlan is really going to play center
                                It's mind boggling isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X