No announcement yet.

Justin Upton for Morrison, Nolasco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Justin Upton for Morrison, Nolasco?

Sherman talked to one team executive who says the Marlins have had the most interest in Upton for a while. An exec speculated that Logan Morrison and Ricky Nolasco would get it done, notes Sherman.

We learned yesterday that the Red Sox and Yankees checked in on Upton as part of their due diligence. It's not known if the Rays would like to add a second Upton, but the execs Sherman spoke to consider them an early favorite along with the Marlins.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...wednesday.html

whaaaaaaa
    Christian Yelich
    LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
    12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
    100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
    .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Interest in Upton is interesting, but everything else there is something tjfla would make up

Comment

Well it's the guy speculating what would get Upton rather than what the Marlis would offer. I highly doubt that the Marlins would do that unless we got something else as well.

Comment

I would do this in two seconds.

Nolasco's expected 2010 money is $6 million, combine that the $3+ million leftover from Uggla, and now we have Carl Pavano. So we've basically traded Morrison for Upton straight up. Win. (Upton makes $4.25 in 2011, so he wouldn't really effect a big RHP FA signing, if the payroll is $53 like mentioned elsewhere. Marlins have that much in "reserve" right now. The numbers work).

Upton's contract gets meaty down the line ($14 mil in 4 years, he is basically club controlled now), but he's awesome and he is going to be a better pro than Logan. It also makes more sense as we are playing two first baseman in the lineup, and this drastically improves team defense.

We're going to need a lefty eventually if they do this, as Hanley, Stanton, Upton, Dominguez, Buck, and Gaby are righties, but they could find a lefty for opposite Coghlan at 2B/CF, and ideally be able to sub in lefties for Buck and Gaby here and there.

Love this. Give them Nunez too if you need too. This would be a huge win to have a longterm 3-4-5 of Hanley, Upton, Stanton.

Comment

Love that we're interested.

Comment

Isn't Upton awful defensively as well?

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              Isn't Upton awful defensively as well?
              9.3 UZR. Maybe you are thinking of BJ who is neutral in center field.

Comment

The more I think about this, the more interested I get in it
                CSBC Commish

Comment

Where would that leave our rotation at if we mov Nolasco.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                    Where would that leave our rotation at if we mov Nolasco.
                    according to Lou:

Nolasco's expected 2010 money is $6 million, combine that the $3+ million leftover from Uggla, and now we have Carl Pavano.
                    So, that or whichever comparable FA SPs we can get
                    CSBC Commish

Comment

Briefly concerning money:

If payroll is $53-55, we currently have around $6-8 to spend. Lop off Nolasco's $6 mil which I am roughly estimating, we're talking $12-14 million.

Upton is $4.25 in 2011, so if we go club controlled at the 5th starter (West/Sanabia), 2nd Bullpen lefty (Richardson/Jennings/Camp Invite), 4th Outfielder (Cousins/Petersen), and lefty off the bench (Mike Lamb Replacement, i.e. camp invite), we have $8-10 million bucks to spend on a veteran right hander for the rotation.

Really makes you think. Morrison and Nolasco is probably 90% of what Arizona would want. Throw in a good RP prospect, and really Badenhop helps them as a freebie, and it's a good deal each way.
                      --------------------
                      And we still have Nunez and Paulino if they aren't moved in that hypothetical deal to help with those noted "problem" areas... FWIW
                      --------------------
                      Garland, Harang, Millwood, Pavano, Penny, Vazquez....

I know some of those names are horrible, but just laying out the market. Jake Westbrook just got $16.5 on 2 years, and he is about the same level as all of these names. This could easily be done on the lower end of that $8-10 budget, and even allow them to spend on a lefty or two for pen/bench.

The big prize is Jorge De La Rosa though as the young lefty. They could go that way too and go JJ, JDLR, Anibal, Volstad, Sanabia/West.

Regardless, you get the idea - tops of options out there for innings.
                      Last edited by lou; 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Do it! I wonder if we can offer Gaby/Nunez/Nolasco instead. Morrison is a tough one to give up, but wow Justin Upton, what a great acquisition this would be, work those phones Beinfest/Hill, you guys are the shit!

Comment

As much as I like Upton, I don't like this deal.

Comment

Also, why not Coghlan? Kelly Johnson is getting expensive and they could play him in LF a year.

Coghlan, Nolasco, and let's say some assortment of RP from Nunez, Ceda, Mharinez, Badenhop, and Veras, and maybe you dip into James, Hand, or Olmos as another piece and say fuck it.

Just some ideas. They'd love Coghlan at 2B longterm. It's not the star potential with LoMo, but just an idea. J Up can play center.

I would really like this to get done and I hope the Marlins are aggressively seeing this moment of weakness with Arizona and working it out.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Also, why not Coghlan? Kelly Johnson is getting expensive and they could play him in LF a year.

Coghlan, Nolasco, and let's say some assortment of RP from Nunez, Ceda, Mharinez, Badenhop, and Veras, and maybe you dip into James, Hand, or Olmos as another piece and say fuck it.

Just some ideas. They'd love Coghlan at 2B longterm. It's not the star potential with LoMo, but just an idea. J Up can play center.

I would really like this to get done and I hope the Marlins are aggressively seeing this moment of weakness with Arizona and working it out.
                              I wonder if something like Dominguez, Gaby, and James could get it done?

Comment

Working...
                              X