No announcement yet.

Justin Upton for Morrison, Nolasco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Athletics, Indians, Royals and Tigers are the four clubs on Upton's no-trade list, tweets FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal. Upton can be dealt to any of the other 25 teams without his approval.

-MLBTR

Comment

• Interesting list.

*Tries to think of four worse cities than Oakland, Cleveland, Kansas City and Detroit with an MLB team.*

Comment

• Hes smart..he picked the 2 worst AL teams...and the two MLB cities where there are a lot of really tough African-Americans.

Comment

• Lots of folks in baseball wondering: why the diamondbacks so intent on marketing justin upton? Is there something wrong?
          http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/statu...54242984542208

I've been kind of wary of this myself.

Comment

• Well, the Dbacks also need to rebuild in general and one Justin Upton isn't as inherently valuable as several good players, would be my logic.

Particularly if he is as good now as he'll ever be, which is a relative possibility re: Nny's evaluation of him.
            CSBC Commish

Comment

• Or, they look at their current team and don't expect to be good for a few years which depletes a lot of the value a player like Upton can provide for them. (Durring his cheap years, they'll be non-competitive and he will be having the highest contract years right when they are trying to build up.)

Comment

• I think that's what I was getting at, maybe I worded it poorly
                CSBC Commish

Comment

• Yeah, once they cashed out on Haren, all players under contract were in play.

Comment

• Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames View Post
                    Well, the Dbacks also need to rebuild in general and one Justin Upton isn't as inherently valuable as several good players, would be my logic.

Particularly if he is as good now as he'll ever be, which is a relative possibility re: Nny's evaluation of him.
                    Understood, but isn't it kind of counter-productive to deal your best young player if you're rebuilding? Like, if the Marlins were in a situation where they needed to rebuild (this is hypothetical, so just try to picture it), I wouldn't think trading Hanley would be the best solution.

Comment

• If trading Hanley Ramirez netted you a lefty .850 OPS bat making the minimum, a pitcher capable of dominating for months at a time and an assortment of high upside specs, you'd have to consider it, assuming Hanley is our only legit player and we have zero chance of competing.
                      --------------------
                      .850 OPS is probably a stretch for the short term but my point remains
                      Last edited by Mainge; 11-20-2010, 12:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Yeah, pretty much what Mainge said. Baseball isn't like basketball where one star can basically be your team, you need a quality 25 man roster to be a competitive team, the season's too long. That said, they don't need to trade him, but if they get an offer they like, that's the important part.
                        CSBC Commish

Comment

• And Towers don't like strike outs

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                            If trading Hanley Ramirez netted you a lefty .850 OPS bat making the minimum, a pitcher capable of dominating for months at a time and an assortment of high upside specs, you'd have to consider it, assuming Hanley is our only legit player and we have zero chance of competing.
                            --------------------
                            .850 OPS is probably a stretch for the short term but my point remains
                            There is a big difference between short stop and outfield. I think Hanley is unmoveable in really any situation because you can contend or build around him at this point of his career.

Comment

• He was just responding to my question about trading your best young player. Position wasn't even really being taken into account.

Comment

• I understand positional value. .900 OPS is more valuable up the middle than in the corners. But if you replaced Upton with Hanley, I still maintain that they'd be dumb to not consider a package that brings back a considerable amount of young talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X