No announcement yet.

Justin Upton for Morrison, Nolasco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I'm a bit eh towards Upton.

High K rates are always concerning regardless of who it's from. Like his brother, he's patient but his horrible contact rates.

The biggest asset of his game comes from his ability to hit for a high BABIP. When you're biggest asset is something that's very volatile, that's worrisome to me. It's the reason I'm scared of a bad Hanley season every year (And look at what happened through the majority of this season): It's very easy to have a bad season because shit happens outside of your control. Yeah, he does have patience, but we're not talking great patience. And he does have power, but again, not great power. And yes, he is young. But power surges come later (i.e. Last year was the first year Cabrera saw a ISO spike, at 27 years of age), and it's certainly possible he's already maxed out physically. Ontop of which, his power numbers are less impressive considering the park he plays in.

My point is, I really don't know if you can say he's > Morrison offensively. I think highest-expected OPS of both is in the low/mid 800's. Upton does have more upside cuz of power but those strike out rates are likely going to hold him back from being able to be a superstar steadily, and those same contact problem gives him a better chance of burning out.

The difference is defense. Morrison sucks, he very likely won't even be average. The difference there is going to be between 10-20 runs (let's just go 15). They're actually even on the basepaths though going by BP's method of judging first to third et al, so nothing there. But that puts Upton at a "60" point advantage in OPS with his superior defense.

The other difference though is money, which can't be ignored. 3 more seasons of Morrison at the minimum plus 3 more seasons of him making arbitration = 6 years/20m contract basically, compared to Upton's 5 years/49.5m contract. It's not about cutting corners, but rather "can the team improve more using that extra money elsewhere"

It doesn't help his own blown is an exact manifestation of all my worries. And I'm not saying Morrison > Upton. Upton most definitely is better. But their value is closer then their ability due to contract, and I'm still holding onto Nolasco 2008 repeat with his peripherals.

Comment

• Originally posted by TealMonster08 View Post
      please dont..we need you.
      Debatable

Comment

• I concur with Hugg
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
          Debatable
          ^ banned.

Comment

• negged, at least
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• /fist pump

I'm so outta here when my contract is up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                /fist pump

I'm so outta here when my contract is up.
                You'll find yourself on waivers shortly... I'm sure a west coast team will claim you
                CSBC Commish

Comment

• If I don't make $1 million more than Hugg, I'm f'n outa here too.
                  There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Wow I looked at your avatar KJC and thought it was Anibal Sanchez.

Comment

• OMGInfante was the motivation for the svelt Sanchy we know and love.
                      There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by KJC View Post
                        If I don't make $1 million more than Hugg, I'm f'n outa here too.
                        That's fine, we need a bridge to get to Ramp to close things out anyways
                        CSBC Commish

Comment

• I will give Hugg a lifetime contract for eleventy billion dollars any day

Comment

• Throwing FIP money out there I see.
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• At least 15 teams approached the D’Backs about Upton at the GM Meetings and five of those clubs wanted to push talks further along, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who notes that the Yankees were not one of the five clubs in hot pursuit of the outfielder.

-MLBTR

According to all the rumors we've been hearing the 5 clubs trying to push talks further are probably the O's, Blue Jays, Mariners, Red Sox and the Fish.

Comment

• Has talk of a multi team deal been broached anywhere?
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X