Marlins Sign C John Buck to 3 Year Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey-o
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

The Marlins can thank Josh Johnson and the rest of their starting pitchers for helping to recruit catcher John Buck.

Johnson, Ricky Nolasco and Chris Volstad didn't lobby him personally. But the chance to catch those hard throwers - and maybe reach the playoffs - persuaded Buck to sign a three-year, $18 million contract.

"I think that was by far, without a shadow of a doubt, the No. 1 thing that grabbed me,' he said Thursday. "They're power pitches who can locate. That's nothing but excitement for a catcher.'

Buck, who played for Toronto last season, is especially eager to catch Johnson, who had a strong first half of 2010 before slowing after the All-Star break because of shoulder and back issues. In 2009, Buck played for Kansas City with Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke.

"To have a guy who thinks he's going to win every time he goes out on the mound, that's irreplaceable,' Buck said. "And we've got a few guys who can do that at a very young age."
      http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...s/1057501.html

Comment

If he's coming to catch Chris Volstad, he must be nuts. Then again, he did work with Kevin Gregg.

Comment

I really like Buck. I believe in his ability to be awesome. He also came to fuck.
          There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

How does that article mention Volstad and not Sanchez

Comment

It mentions hard power throwers. 92 is significantly harder than 91.

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                How does that article mention Volstad and not Sanchez
                Because Mibs wrote it.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                  It mentions hard power throwers. 92 is significantly harder than 91.
                  That is true. I was more concerned about it because of this quote from Buck
                  They're power pitches who can locate

Comment

Better get used to seeing the ball go 92 mph the other way when Volstad is pitching.

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I dislike it.

Comment

I figured that would go without saying.
                        poop

Comment

I'm really not a fan of the length but it's not like there are many options out there and the desperate need for a catcher had to get filled somehow and this was better than some alternatives.

Comment

We also needed to replace Uggla's power somewhere. This kills two birds with one stone.
                            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              We also needed to replace Uggla's power somewhere. This kills two birds with one stone.
                              Who decided that power was necessary on a winning team?

Comment

It's helpful to winning, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X