This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanley shoulda clocked him.
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Gammons even noted about Coghlan playing CF. I'm pretty offended by it, and it's going to happen.
      There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        That is how you do not win baseball games, like the Cubs and Mets, and winning baseball games is the only way to fill the stadium.
        Yeah, it's pretty sad how much attendance dropped for the Mets from year 1 to year 2 @ Citi Field. They're resorting to offering prizes you'd expect from a AA club for buying season tix, like throwing out the first pitch and high fiving the players as they leave the dugout. Hopefully, the Marlins can avoid by putting a winning product on the field.
        Sanchez life

Comment

• Dan Uggla wants to stay with the Marlins. The Marlins want to keep Uggla. Now the question is whether the two sides possess enough mutual desire to keep the All-Star second baseman in South Florida long term.

President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest will continue to do his due diligence on Uggla and myriad other topics when the GM meetings open Tuesday in Orlando. Uggla rejected a four-year, $48 million contract extension and the Marlins are loath to make the fifth-year guarantee that likely would close the deal.

As a result, Beinfest and the Marlins are preparing for all contingencies, including failing to reach a multi-year agreement with Uggla and having to trade him. He is under club control for one more year before qualifying for free agency.

Last week after he won the Silver Slugger, Uggla said he felt the gap was bridgeable and wanted to continue negotiating, but the Marlins had left the table. The Marlins won't discuss contract issues.

"First and foremost, it's obvious that as an organization we love Dan Uggla," Vice President of Player Personnel Dan Jennings said on MLB Radio Monday. "A lot of the things you've read, some of it's true, some of it's false, about where we are with an offer and with the years, but I think it shows that we want to sign Danny going into this year, going into the new ballpark [in 2012].

"We know that there's one of three things that can happen: We can sign him long-term. We can go the arbitration route or we can listen to organizations that have interest and try to acquire names for a trade. The one thing Larry has done a great job over here of doing is being prepared for any of the three that could occur. That's what we're trying to do now. I will tell you again, our first priority – and it always has been – is to sign Dan."
          Uggla sure to be hot topic at GM meetings

Comment

• He wants to stay yet he doesnt want our contract? fuck him.

Comment

• He wants to get paid on a five year deal and he wants the Marlins to pay him. In that order.

Comment

• Yea. I remember telling the firm I worked at this summer that I wanted to stay with them. There was just this little issue about not wanting to work 70-80 hours every week.

(I did not take a job with them)

Comment

• Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                  Let me put this another way; why were we trying to sign Uggla to a 4/$48 million in the first place? Because he's a good player that we want to keep around, right? Why then do you think trading him for a package of mediocre players and using the money you were going to spend on him for more mediocre players is a good idea? Like has been said, we have a pretty good nucleus in the team we already have and we just improved one of the major weaknesses (the bullpen) over the weekend. Trading away Uggla creates a hole not only at second but puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team to make up those RBI's that Uggla provided. I just don't like the idea of selling low on Uggla and getting stuff that is not likely to make the team better just because you got mad at him, which is what I'm gathering is happening.
                  yes, we're trying to sign him because he's good. but there's a point where contract outweighs performance. for example, cody ross. he is a good player. however, there are many similar players, and cody simply is not worth the $6 million he'll likely get.

dan uggla is a good player. he is worth somewhere in the $10-12 million range on a team like this (i.e., more than 20% of our payroll). he would still be a good player at $15 a year, but he'd be worth far less to us since he would hamstring our payroll and not allow us to make other moves - not just this year, but down the road as well.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• JoeFrisaro

#Marlins This is known in Uggla situation: Marlins are aggressively shopping him: Marlins won't 'give him away." Re-signing w/ Fla is remote
                    The latest... Que scary music or something to make this more interesting.
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Yesterday we learned the Marlins want pitching and a catcher in return for second baseman Dan Uggla; the Cardinals, Nationals, Blue Jays, and Tigers are known suitors. There is some debate as to the Marlins' sense of urgency in making a deal, though MLB.com's Joe Frisaro joins ESPN's Buster Olney in the "aggressively shopping him" camp (Twitter link). Here's the latest on the slugger...

The Braves have inquired on Uggla, reports David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He could provide backup at third base as Chipper Jones recovers from August surgery to report a torn ACL in his knee. Or, Uggla or Martin Prado could spend the season in left field if Jones is healthy. Would the Marlins be willing to deal within the division with the Braves or Nationals? Yes, one rival executive tells Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, "but the ask is very high."

-MLBTR

Comment

• Heyward should be enough

Comment

• Why do people cite MLBTR?

It is Rotoworld with less credibility.

Comment

• Greetings from the GM meetings in Orlando. Already caught a glimpse of President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest on his cell phone. Dan Uggla chatter?

Maybe, maybe not. The Marlins have plenty of work to do, including acquiring a catcher, perhaps another ninth-inning option, perhapsa moderately priced innings-eating starter? It would seem the Marlins need to resolve the Uggla situation before they do much else. If they determine they can’t sign Uggla, that would free up dollars to allocate elsewhere. The sooner they know whether they possess that flexibility, the better.

The Marlins want to keep Uggla. Uggla wants to stay. What’s holding up the deal? If Uggla has dug in his heels and decided he won’t take anything less than five guaranteed years, good chance this doesn’t get done.Same thing if the Marlins don’t move from their4-year,$48 million offer. So what’s fair? If Jeffrey Loria’s money were mineto spend, I would increase theoffer to four years, $52 million — the same deal the Marlinsgave Carlos Delgado before the 2005 season. The breakdown of my Uggla offer: $10 million in 2011 ( his last arbitration year) and $14 million each of the next three seasons.

That contract would make Ugglathe second highest paid second baseman in the game behind ChaseUtley, and not by much. I wonder whether Ugglaisn’t hoping to landsomething along the lines of his Phillies’ counterpart. Utley before his age 29 season in 2007 signed a seven-year, $85 million contract that bought out three arbitration years and four free agent seasons. Utley, who’s 15 months older than Uggla, earned $11 million last season and will make $15 million each of the next four (all free agent years).

Maybe that’s Uggla’s barometer. The Phillies bought out Utley’s first four free agent years and Uggla wants the Marlins to do the same for him.In my four-year, $52 million proposal, Uggla would make just $1 million less than Utley each of the next four years. At the end of the contract, Uggla will have just completed his age 34 season. That’s still young enough for him to cash in again if he continues to put him 30-homer, 90-RBI seasons.

Utley will be a free agent after 2013. If Uggla signs a four-year deal, he’d qualify for free agency after 2014.

Robinson Cano and Brandon Phillips are two other elite second baseman who’ve already signed multi-year deals. Cano before his age 25 season agreed to a four-year, $30 million deal that buys out at least one free agent year for $10 million. The Yankees hold club options on the next two (2012 and 2013) at $14 million and $15 million, respectively. The Reds gave Phillips a four-year, $27 million contract before his age 27 season thatbuys out his first free agent season at $11 million and contains a club option for Phillips’ second free agent year( 2012) for $12 million.

In addition to tremendous offense like Uggla, those two guys enter their free agent years at a younger age andbring GoldGlove caliber defense to the equation.

Fouryears,$52 million. Get’er done.
                            What's a fair offer for Dan Uggla?

Comment

• Nothing in that article suggests that 4/$52 is fair value for Uggla. Dan Uggla is not Chase Utley.

Comment

• I still love the fact that Mike Hill, who is the GM, still is rarely talked about in articles. He definitely has to be a little upset that he still answers to someone else above him.

Comment

Working...
                                X