X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want the Rasmus.
    There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• It's probably impossible, but I would absolutely ask the Nats for Derek Norris, and if they accept I think I would do that straight up. I loves him.
      poop

Comment

• he strikes out a lot

Comment

• Originally posted by KJC View Post
          I want the Rasmus.
          According to Matthew Leach of MLB.com, a Cardinals' source doesn't see the team as a match for Dan Uggla.
          At issue isn't Uggla's potential salary, but rather the cost in prospects. "I would say no at this time," said the source. We've heard conflicting information in regards to what the Marlins may look for in return, though Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported earlier Monday that it likely wouldn't take a blue-chip prospect. Nov. 15 - 8:20 pm et
          http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=308688&spln=1
          --------------------
          this is what they were taking info from:

ORLANDO -- At first glance, the Cardinals might seem to be a perfect landing spot for Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla, who could be available via trade after turning down a contract extension offer from Florida. St. Louis is looking to upgrade its offense, particularly in the middle infield, and recent reports have suggested that Florida's demands in return might not be too high.

The issue would seem to be Uggla's salary, but according to a Cardinals source, that's not the case. The concern is not the cost in dollars but in players.

Uggla made $7.8 million in 2010. In 2011 he'll be a third-year arbitration-eligible player coming off his best season, indicating a likely uptick in salary from that '10 number. In addition to the infield, the Cardinals must spend their remaining dollars for '11 on a starting pitcher, a left-handed reliever, a backup catcher and perhaps some bench help.
          http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...s_stl&c_id=stl

given that their needs are apparently exactly the same as ours, and we're (hopefully) looking to fill those needs, I don't see us matching up.
          Last edited by emkayseven; 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I don't know man, Skip and Norris are going to be coming up at the same time. I'm also not in favor of getting a guy that is a year or two away. The scouting report on Norris shows he has tremendous patience though, and his SB / CS ratio is very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
              he strikes out a lot
              He also walks a ton and before this year hit for very good power.
              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                I don't know man, Skip and Norris are going to be coming up at the same time. I'm also not in favor of getting a guy that is a year or two away. The scouting report on Norris shows he has tremendous patience though, and his SB / CS ratio is very good.
                skip is not ever going to be coming up, except maybe in a rule 5 draft
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  You are ignoring the new stadium in that equation, and everything that brings with it, including better ability to keep players and a better fan experience (and the whole "new stadium honeymoon").

It is far more important to be good in 2012-2014 to take advantage of the new stadium than to keep Dan Uggla right now.

They need to do what is best for the product on the field. If they deem that to be keeping Uggla, then they should do that, but they should not do that because of the whims of a shallow fan base.
                  I fully agree about 2012 being the most important year. I'm sure people will show up to check out the new stadium but they have to keep the fans coming back. Right now, between the people pissed about spending the counties money on the stadium and the freshly opened wound that this the Cabrera trade, it's not guaranteed that we're going to get the fans into the new stadium. Turning a guy like Uggla (love him or hate him, he's a two-time All-Star, newly minted Silver Slugger and a name that is well known) into a bunch of mediocre players that no one has heard of is not going to generate interest in the product on the field. If they could trade him for a Greinke or a top notch prospect like Heyward, that's different. But you're talking about getting some not great players that we'll probably not know much about. Without generating the kind of interest that teams like the Mets do (where fans show up whether the team is good or not) puts us dangerously at risk of turning into the Pittsburgh Pirates of South Florida.

Comment

• What if the product on the field generates interest in the product on the field?

Comment

• I prefer arencebia to Norris right now due to the fact that we don't have to wait for Arencebia, he's already played in the majors, and will start in the majors next year.

Comment

• Derek Norris
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          What if the product on the field generates interest in the product on the field?
                          That's all that matters. This is really simple.

You can't take a chance that maybe people will come if you keep Dan Uggla, you have to do what makes your team tangibly better, because that is the only surefire way to get people to show up. If you win nobody will care about this crap.

If keeping Uggla makes your team better than getting rid of him, then you should keep him. If not, you should get rid of him. But that is all that should care about.
                          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-15-2010, 08:16 PM.
                          poop

Comment

• look at it this way mibs:

uggla has been with us for 5 years. in that time he went from a nothing rule 5 draft pick to all star to silver slugger. attendance did not increase.

cody was with us for 3 years. he went from a nothing waiver wire claim to fan favorite. we essentially released him. attendance did not decrease.

we traded a homegrown miguel cabrera and arguably the most popular marlin ever in dontrelle for prospects who didn't pan out. attendance did not decrease.

basically, attendance is what it is. fans that are going to get upset at an uggla trade don't come to the games anyway. they sit on twitter saying "LOLOLOL WOW THAT TIGERS TRADE LOOKS GREAT HUH MARLINS?!?!?!?!?!" and "OMG Y DID WE LET CODY GO?!?!?!" but they do not come to games. they could trade dan uggla and hanley ramirez for tommy manzella and attendance would not decrease very much.

we all know there will be a tremendous uptick in attendance in 2012. our concern is that we cannot end up like the pirates, who spike in attendance, suck on the field, and then alienate the fanbase by playing bad baseball. we need to succeed in 2012 and beyond because we know the fans in south florida are fairweather fans who will support teams when they do well (see: 2003 playoffs, 1996 panthers, 2006 heat, etc). 2012 will be good, but we need to win to keep them coming back.

trading dan uggla has no impact on attendance in 2011 and will have no impact on attendance in 2012. what happens in 2011, be it a 95 win season or a 70 win season, will likely have no impact on attendance in 2012. fans will show up in 2012. it's about getting them to come back in 2013 and beyond. that will be based on our success in 2012. fans will not say "boy, i had fun at that new ballpark watching our 90-win team, but i'm still real pissed they traded uggla and cody 2.5 years ago." they will say "those marlins can play some baseball, let's go see them again!" or they will say "that team sucks, why am i driving in miami traffic to see them?" but they won't give two shits about dan uggla or cody ross.

Comment

• The Marlins should just bring in big name guys to fill all our holes. Pudge at catcher. D-Train as the lefty starter. Edgar Renteria at second base/shortstop behind Uggs and Hanley. Maybe try for Chipper at third base.

Sure, they'd suck, but people would come out to the park, right? Like they did in 2003 after signing Pudge the first time, and in 2005 after Delgado was brought in?

Oh. Right. They didn't come then either.

Comment

• Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                                "LOLOLOL WOW THAT TIGERS TRADE LOOKS GREAT HUH MARLINS?!?!?!?!?!" and "OMG Y DID WE LET CODY GO?!?!?!"
                                Credit where credit is due, Swift has much better grammar than that.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X