• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swift View Post
    4/48 almost certainly gets you V-Mart.

Maybe that's the route to go....
    I like where your head is at, but no.

Jorge De La Rosa (or name another lefty SP here) and 2-3 spare parts, like a stopgap 3B to keep Dominguez down until June, LOOGY, lefty bench bat, etc..

Let's get some innings and veteran support, not 1 dude who arguably shouldn't even be a catcher anymore.

Who is angry at this? Just typing it out for the visual.

C - "Cheap Veteran" / Baker
    1B - Gaby
    2B - Coghlan
    SS - Hanley
    3B - "Stopgap" / Dominguez
    LF - LoMo
    CF - Maybin
    RF - Stanton
    B - The above Baker and whoever isn't playing 3B / Bonifacio / Helms / "Veteran OF to help the 3 of them"

SP - Johnson, De La Rosa, Nolasco, Anibal, Volstad
    RP - Hensley, Sanabia, Sanches, Veras, West, "Ohman/LOOGY," and "Surprise Veteran" (with Marinez, Jennings, Ceda, Cishek hanging in AA/AAA if we want to jettison something)

And you get something for Uggla and Nunez either for the farm, or wherever else.

I mean, this is good right?

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      I like where your head is at, but no.

Jorge De La Rosa (or name another lefty SP here) and 2-3 spare parts, like a stopgap 3B to keep Dominguez down until June, LOOGY, lefty bench bat, etc..

Let's get some innings and veteran support, not 1 dude who arguably shouldn't even be a catcher anymore.

Who is angry at this? Just typing it out for the visual.

C - "Cheap Veteran" / Baker
      1B - Gaby
      2B - Coghlan
      SS - Hanley
      3B - "Stopgap" / Dominguez
      LF - LoMo
      CF - Maybin
      RF - Stanton
      B - The above Baker and whoever isn't playing 3B / Bonifacio / Helms / "Veteran OF to help the 3 of them"

SP - Johnson, De La Rosa, Nolasco, Anibal, Volstad
      RP - Hensley, Sanabia, Sanches, Veras, West, "Ohman/LOOGY," and "Surprise Veteran" (with Marinez, Jennings, Ceda, Cishek hanging in AA/AAA if we want to jettison something)

And you get something for Uggla and Nunez either for the farm, or wherever else.

I mean, this is good right?
      De La Rosa is a high risk pitcher, but I would also like to have him here. He reminds me of Nolasco, when he's on, he is on.

I think we will be going after Olivo for the catcher spot, I don't see Pierzynski as a fit on this team.

If Ugz is traded (which I hope he is), it will probably bring us a SP(LH), which would eliminate signing De La Rosa.

I think Dotel will be a RP that we will strongly look into, and probably aquire. I also want Ohman back.

The stop gap at 3rd can be Felipe Lopez, or maybe Cogz can stay at 3rd and we can sign Hudson to play 2nd(doubt he will cost anymore than last year, I say 3-4.5 mil)

We will then have

C- Olivo
      1B- Gaby
      2B- Hudson
      SS- Hanley
      3B- Cogz
      LF- Lomo
      CF- Maybin
      RF- Stanton

SP- JJ,Nolasco,LH(aquired in Ugz trade),Sanchez, Volstad.

I still think that we should go after Greinke. Trade Dominguez, James, and Volstad, I don't care just get it done. If we get rid of Uggla and Nunez, we will have enough money for Greinke plus some other pieces.

Imagine a rotation featuring: JJ, Greinke, Nolasco / LHP, Sanchez.

btw, where is Greinkes' no trade list?
      Last edited by Big Z; 11-09-2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I want Carl Crawford instead of V-Mart. Why not go AJ Pierzynski instead at Catcher.

Comment

You can forget about Carl Crawford

Comment

Did Dan Uggla and the Marlins miss some mystery deadline to agree to an extension? Uggla somewhat surprisingly rejects a four-year, $48 million contract offer andthat’s supposed to mean the Marlins are ready to trade him? Please.

Doesn’t all this sound familiar? Think back to last offseason. How many offers did Josh Johnson turn downin November and December before he ultimatelyagreed to a four-year, $39 million deal in January. Remember all the rhetoric about how negotiations had flat lined and the Marlins were sure to trade Johnson?

Bottom line, the Marlins are in the right neighborhood with their offer. Uggla no doubt wants a fifth guaranteed season, but fact is he’s on the wrong side of 30. The guess here is the Marlins ultimately increase their offer to just north of $50 million, either with a higher average annual value on the four years or by adding a fifth-year club or vesting option with a buyout.

For a guy who plays the game balls to the wall like Uggla does, he’d be taking a huge risk turning down that kind of security. Not only is there an injury risk, butwhat if Uggla in 2011 hits closer to his 2009 average and OPS (.243 and .813) than his 2010 numbers (.287 and .877), and has a horrible year defensively?

Another thing for Uggla to consider is this likely won’t be his last contract. Let’s say he signs for four years at $52 million and hits free agency entering his age 35 season. Even if he loses a step or two defensively, think an American League team wouldn’t give a 35-year-old Uggla big dollars for two or three years to DH if he still has a 30-homer, 90-RBI bat?

Whether or not the Marlins ever make Uggla what he considers an offer he can’t refuse remains to be seen, but don’t put him in another jersey just yet.
            No reason to panic over Dan Uggla negotiation

This is exactly what I meant by this sounding just like the JJ contract last year.

Comment

It's the same in that people not involved with what we are discussing have silly knee-jerk reactions

Comment

It is not the same because 4/$48 million is the maximum amount this organization should be spending on a player of Uggla's level whereas we were all in the agreement that the offers made to JJ by the Marlins in November and December were too low.

We all understood that the team was low-balling JJ. I don't find that to be the case here. 4/$48 million is a legit offer and one that the Marlins, in my opinion, shouldn't go over.

Comment

Yea, this is not the same. It is, how you say, different.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                    No reason to panic over Dan Uggla negotiation

This is exactly what I meant by this sounding just like the JJ contract last year.
                    And like I/we said, it's not the same situation at all. JJ accepted the market rate contract nearly the second it was offered. Uggla said F U.

If this is over a 5th year, he is posturing all wrong. And I pray the Marlins don't increase from $48..... $48 is more than generous. Uggla should be getting in the $42-44 ballpark. The only thing the Marlins should throw in additionally to $48 is an acting coach so we don't have another air around the clock disaster. Maybe he should rep Hustler out in Sunrise. I hear Cody likes small and compact things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      And never realized that the Giants probably didn't want him in the first place.
                      I think they even came out and said they didn't want him at one point (or basically said it without saying it) shortly after they acquired him.

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                      btw, where is Greinkes' no trade list?
                      I think it includes the Phillies and perhaps Giants - I saw some of the clubs on the list somewhere recently, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. I don't remember the Marlins being on the short list though.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        I think they even came out and said they didn't want him at one point (or basically said it without saying it) shortly after they acquired him.

I think it includes the Phillies and perhaps Giants - I saw some of the clubs on the list somewhere recently, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. I don't remember the Marlins being on the short list though.
                        Yeah they said they basically acquired him in order to block the padres from getting him.

I know the Yankees are on the no trade list, but I haven't heard of any other team.

Comment

A piece from a Stark article:

• Gone fishing: The Marlins continue to try to get Dan Uggla signed long-term. But teams that have kicked the tires on dealing for Uggla report they came away with distinct signals that if these talks continue to stall, at some point the Marlins will turn their attention to shopping their second baseman.

"So if he really wants to be there," said one NL exec, "he'd better not wait too long, or his butt will get moved."

Comment

Really hope he goes now.
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

For a guy that owes his career to the Marlins, he sure is being a doucheface.
                              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I still do not understand what Uggla wants. He wanted 5 years, we wanted 3. We end up meeting halfway at 4 years and offering 48 MILLION, and he rejects. Uggla is a very gritty player and he deserves a lot for his hard work, I just don't see how you turn that down. I would hate to go 5 years on Uggla, but if we do, can't we offer him the same thing we did to Delgado. I remember with Delgado we basically did 4/52 with a 5th year option that would've climbed it up to 5/64. If Uggla values that 5th year so much, then offer him 4/48 with a 5th year option that could climb up the deal to 5/52 or 5/54, see if he is willing to take a paycut for that 5th year.

Comment

Working...
                                X