This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
    But Coghlan is a natural second baseman. I saw him play for a year there and I don't remember him being a bad second baseman at all.
    Pretty sure his reputation was that he was a very shaky 2B.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
      Pretty sure his reputation was that he was a very shaky 2B.
      By who? JCR and those who see him for a second in spring training?
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I think most scouting reports said good range, and bad but improving hands.

Comment

• Yeah, I think coming out of college, the issue was his arm, which is partially why he was moved over from 3B to 2B.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            I think most scouting reports said good range, and bad but improving hands.
            Sounds like what the ladies said about Fritz in college.
            There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• I think the real problem with Coghlan is that he can't really play anywhere that great. And that knee injury is probably gonna take a bit of his range away, either at 2B or especially in CF.

Of course, I'm also one of the people who thinks we're not ever actually gonna play him in CF so that's probably why I'm more amiable to the idea, cause I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Honestly, I think we should trade him.

Comment

• The entire team should be traded for relief pitching. Leo Nunez plays a tidy CF, and Badenhop is your prototypical power-hitting corner IF.

Comment

• MW, best things said all day.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I wonder if Dan is getting peer pressure from the team.

Bro, it's $48 million dollars. You can buy every affliction shirt in every color and a case of beer every day for the rest of your life.

Comment

• If the Marlins trade Dan Uggla, they would use the savings to sign at least one free agent. John Buck is a target for the Marlins regardless of whether they trade or extend Uggla.

-Ken Rosenthal
                      Last edited by Big Z; 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                        If the Marlins trade Dan Uggla, they would use the savings to sign at least one free agent. John Buck is a target for the Marlins regardless of whether they trade or extend Uggla.
                        Think is all depends on what they get back for Uggla, Nunez, and maybe even Paulino.

Comment

• If Dan Uggla has played his last game for the Marlins, he went out a winner. He hit his 33rd homer and went 3-for-3 in Florida’s 5-2 win over the Pirates on the last game of the season Oct. 3.

For most of his five years with the Marlins, Uggla has been the topic of trade rumors every winter. He always returned to Jupiter every February. But so far, this off-season feels different.

There’s a mutual bitterness between the Marlins and Uggla over stalled contract talks and one has to wonder if it’s bad enough for the Marlins to give more thought than ever to Life without Dan Uggla.

We’ll know more this week at the General managers’ Meetings, which start Tuesday at Lake Buena Vista.

But already — certainly earlier than previous off-seasons — there are strong hot-stove rumblings about Uggla’s future.

One thing I know for certain: The Marlins have not had any serious discussions about what to do at second base if Uggla is traded. So, there’s a chance the Marlins are doing what they’ve done in the past — listen to what they might get for their Silver Slugger Award winner.

I also know that owner Jeffrey Loria was very angry over Uggla’s rejection — reported last week — of a four-year, $48 million deal.

Uggla wants five years. I don’t fault the Marlins for standing firm at four years, even if he is the franchise’s all time home run leader. One school of thought by some in the organization that is that the Marlins throw a few more million at their four-year offer and Uggla accepts.

Me? I thought for sure Uggla was a goner last winter. But, then again, the circumstances this off-season — i.e. the bitter negotiations — are different.

Uggla was the team’s most productive offensive player last year. He also led the team with 18 errors.

His departure also would eliminate clubhouse tension with Hanley Ramirez — the All Star shortstop hasn’t always gotten along with his double-play partner. And it would open the door for Mike Stanton — second on the team with 22 homers, in just 100 games — to assume his destined role as the Marlins’ main power source.

But the Marlins are a young team, and Uggla isn’t the only one in the clubhouse who won’t get a Christmas card from Ramirez. Uggla is well-liked and a key piece of the Marlins’ clubhouse chemistry. (So was Cody Ross…)

So, a big question the Marlins must ask themselves — as they enter their final season at Sun Life with a goal moving into their new ballpark as a championship-caliber team in 2012 is — are the a better team without Dan Uggla.
                          Has Dan Uggla played his last game for the Florida Marlins?
                          Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• joecapMARLINS: I'm told #Marlins r not aggressively shopping Dan Uggla but r prepping 4 worst-case scenario. Big concern by brass over contract impasse
                            /Twitter

Comment

• Rejecting 4/48 = worst case scenario.

Comment

• Not actively shopping but letting it be known they plan on moving him and fielding all phone calls for him. Got it

Comment

Working...
                                X