Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Managerial Search Discussion: But Does He Know the Game??!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some #Marlins officials favor Bo Porter, sources say, but it's unclear where the team's managerial search stands right now. #MLB
    http://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/27487725261

BO BO BO
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Bo/Edwin would be for me...any of those other schmucks are the worst.

Comment

Well it seems it's either or so thats cool.
        --------------------
        Also at 38 Bo would be the youngest manager right? That'd be cool.
        Last edited by Ralph; 10-15-2010, 09:26 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
          Well it seems it's either or so thats cool.
          --------------------
          Also at 38 Bo would be the youngest manager right? That'd be cool.
          This is what worries me. Do you think Hanley would listen to/respect someone that young?

Comment

I think he will not listen to/respect anybody

Comment

Bo knows the Marlins, but is that enough to land him the manager's job?

Some think so. With the managerial situation nebulous at best, a source that has spoken with team officials warned not to disregard Bo Porter's candidacy. The Marlins are giving Porter a serious look. He's a known commodity and a favorite of owner Jeffrey Loria.

Because of his familiarity with the club's personnel and existing relationship with Loria and the front office, Porter and the Marlins could sidestep some growing pains associated with a rookie manager. Loria is believed to covet a high-energy personality and Porter certainly qualifies. He played football for the University of Iowa and brings a gridiron mentality to the game.

Fans and pundits alike have suggested that neither Porter nor any other name linked to the Marlins so far beyond Bobby Valentine possesses the panache the club needs heading into a new stadium in 2012. Marquee players through the years here barely have moved the attendance needle. The Marlins aren't likely to make a hire with the idea of boosting season-ticket sales.

Porter, who could not be reached Friday, spent five seasons in the organization, the last three as Fredi Gonzalez's third-base coach, before leaving for the same position with the Diamondbacks in 2010. He finished the season as Kirk Gibson's bench coach, but was not retained.

When the Marlins fired Gonzalez last June they received permission from the Diamondbacks to interview Porter. Many speculated it was a courtesy call to satisfy the Commissioner's edict to consider minorities for high profile front office and on-field positions. At that point, the job was earmarked for Valentine before negotiations unraveled.

After last season, the Nationals interviewed Porter for their managerial post and he received glowing reviews from general manager Mike Rizzo. The Nationals opted to stay the course with Jim Riggleman.

Earlier this month the Pirates brought in Porter to discuss their vacancy. Porter is expected to have a final interview with the Marlins in the coming days. Edwin Rodriguez is the other confirmed candidate. As of earlier this week, Braves scout Jim Fregosi, Reds pitching coach Bryan Price, Dodgers bench coach Tim Wallach, and Padres bench coach Ted Simmons -- all of whom had been linked to the job -- had not been contacted by the Marlins.
              Valentine out, but Porter still in nebulous Marlins' managerial mix
              --------------------
              And then there's this report.

Now that the behind-the-scenes waltz with Bobby Valentine is history, expect the Marlins to return to basic protocol -- do it the old-fashioned way,in other words -- in naming a permanent manager. They'll compile a short list, haul in the candidates for interviews, and select a winner, the same way they did it in 2005 when Joe Girardi was selected. In 2005, the Marlins rented out a New York hotel suite to conduct the interviews.

The thing is, it could take awhile.

What I'm hearing now is that the Marlins intend to take a deep breath, proceed slowly, and perhaps wait as long as seven to 10 days before bringing in the candidates for interviews. And that list, as it stands now, is pretty much the same as it's been all along, with Bo Porter, Tony Pena, Bryan Price, Ted Simmons and Jim Fregosi on a list of potential candidates, along with interim manager Edwin Rodriguez. Porter interviewed for the job in June after Fredi Gonzalez was fired.
              Marlins Manager Search Could Take Awhile
              Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 10-16-2010, 12:08 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

please no bo porter

just freaking stick with edwin and hire a big name going into 2012. because the worst thing that can happen is hiring some schmo this year, him sucking in 2011 and getting fired halfway into 2012 with a .500 team
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Are you insinuating that it's impossible for a "big name" manager to be .500?
                  Last edited by Mainge; 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

no, i didn't mean to come across as that. BUT, if we had a Bobby V or other "name" manager in place here and he went .500, I think there'd be some leeway with the FO and with fans leading into 2012, figuring he'd get it done that year, and if he didn't he'd probably be canned after '12. I think with a Bo Porter or Edwin, if winning in '11 doesn't happen, they will either A) hire a new manager going into 2012, or B) fire them at the first sign of stumbling in 2012.

Now, I'm of the opinion that the manager really only matters very little, that lineups don't matter that much, and that it's just in-game management that makes or breaks a manager. Fredi was awful (using relievers, double switches, etc). Edwin to me is average, as are most managers. So I'd say it's equally as likely for a big name manager to go .500 or under as it is for a Bo or Edwin to do so, but there's just more PR leeway with the big name.
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                      no, i didn't mean to come across as that. BUT, if we had a Bobby V or other "name" manager in place here and he went .500, I think there'd be some leeway with the FO and with fans leading into 2012, figuring he'd get it done that year, and if he didn't he'd probably be canned after '12. I think with a Bo Porter or Edwin, if winning in '11 doesn't happen, they will either A) hire a new manager going into 2012, or B) fire them at the first sign of stumbling in 2012.

Now, I'm of the opinion that the manager really only matters very little, that lineups don't matter that much, and that it's just in-game management that makes or breaks a manager. Fredi was awful (using relievers, double switches, etc). Edwin to me is average, as are most managers. So I'd say it's equally as likely for a big name manager to go .500 or under as it is for a Bo or Edwin to do so, but there's just more PR leeway with the big name.
                      I would say lineups matter an awful lot. How many times did we see Fredi bat Helms cleanup?

Comment

You'd be wrong.

Comment

As far as Hanley respecting Bo, Id assume they have a decent relationship...I didnt see Hanley and Joe Espada doing handoffs or slot pulls when Hanley hit a homerun.
                          BoKnowsH2R.

Comment

yeah it's been statistically shown that lineups matter very very little

and the best lineup is to just sort everyone in order of descending obp. how well would that lineup go over?
                            --------------------
                            just for poops and giggles, last year that would have meant:

Logan-Hanley-Uggla-Gaby-Coghlan-Stanton-Paulino-Maybin

and in 09:

N. Johnson-Hanley-Coghlan-Uggla-Baker-Hermida-Cantu-Ross
                            Last edited by emkayseven; 10-16-2010, 12:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                              yeah it's been statistically shown that lineups matter very very little

and the best lineup is to just sort everyone in order of descending obp. how well would that lineup go over?
                              --------------------
                              just for poops and giggles, last year that would have meant:

Logan-Hanley-Uggla-Gaby-Coghlan-Stanton-Paulino-Maybin

and in 09:

N. Johnson-Hanley-Coghlan-Uggla-Baker-Hermida-Cantu-Ross
                              No it isn't.

Comment

Pena has to be the front runner now. We wanted him in season, Yankees said no, unless he comes in and tells Beinfest that he only does things his way (totally plausible) he's likely our next manager. I'm fine with that; I'd also be fine with keeping Edwin. Anything else and it's just kind of meh to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X