No announcement yet.

Ricky Nolasco Undergoing Tests for Torn Meniscus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Sunday morning Ricky Nolasco and manager Edwin Rodriguez both said there is a chance Nolasco could still pitch this season.

But if your read the body language and heard the dejection in Nolasco’s voice, you have to doubt it.

Common sense also comes into play. I am not doctor, but what Nolasco said was a “medium” tear to the meniscus ligament in his right knee does not sound like something you want to mess with much less pitch with.

He’s a right hander, so he is pushing off the mound with that leg. Now imagine doing that with a torn ligament 100 times in a game. Um, I just don’t see it, especially with the Marlins out of the playoff hunt. You certainly wouldn’t want to make things worse for no compelling reason.

The swelling has to go down before Nolasco tests the knee. He is scheduled to pitch a bullpen session on Wednesday, and if he does and there is pain and/or swelling, consider his season over.
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ontent=Twitter

I just don't think it's overboard to say I don't trust giving a guy with a 4.50 ERA over his last 350 IP and now who will end the season 6 weeks early due to an injury a long term deal before he sees how he rebounds from it. I'm not saying never give him a deal, I'm just saying don't do it in the offseason while his most recent resume update is a knee injury.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I mean, it's like a high ankle sprain. Long recovery but 100% recovery rate.

People play football with torn meniscus'. In the NFL.

Comment

I tear my meniscus 3 times a day.

Comment

JCRMarlinsbeat

Ricky Nolasco's status will hinge on his bullpen session Wednesday. Nolasco has a meniscus tear and missed his last start. #Marlins

/twitter

Comment

NEW YORK -- Ricky Nolasco passed one critical test in his bid to pitch again this season, perhaps as early as Saturday. But he is not out of the woods just yet.

Nolasco said a 15-minute throwing session off a bullpen mound, one designed to test the torn meniscus in his right knee, went well Wednesday. Now he must wait to see if swelling results. He also must prove during drills Thursday that he can field his position.

If he clears those hurdles, he will start Saturday.

``There wasn't any pain pushing off,'' Nolasco said of the session. ``I can't help but feel good about it. At the same time, we have to wait to see how I feel [Thursday].''

Asked if he has entertained the thought, at this late stage in the season, of shutting down, Nolasco replied: ``Absolutely. If I feel any little thing, I'm just going to shut it down. . . . I'm going to be smart about it.''
            --------------------
            NEW YORK -- Ricky Nolasco passed one critical test in his bid to pitch again this season, perhaps as early as Saturday. But he is not out of the woods just yet.

Nolasco said a 15-minute throwing session off a bullpen mound, one designed to test the torn meniscus in his right knee, went well Wednesday. Now he must wait to see if swelling results. He also must prove during drills Thursday that he can field his position.

If he clears those hurdles, he will start Saturday.

``There wasn't any pain pushing off,'' Nolasco said of the session. ``I can't help but feel good about it. At the same time, we have to wait to see how I feel [Thursday].''

Asked if he has entertained the thought, at this late stage in the season, of shutting down, Nolasco replied: ``Absolutely. If I feel any little thing, I'm just going to shut it down. . . . I'm going to be smart about it.''
            Last edited by Big Z; 08-26-2010, 06:21 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

well done Z

Comment

posting on iPhone, copy and paste is a pain when you have to copy things separately

Comment

Ricky Nolasco got through his drills today pain-free and said he expects to start Saturday for the Marlins.

“I didn’t expect it to get better so quickly,” he said. “All I can say is I’ll try to be smart about it.”

Ricky said he stilll expects to have surgery after the season to repair the torn meniscus on his right knee.
                  Ricky Nolasco says he will start Saturday for the Florida Marlins

Comment

I told ya, no biggie.

Comment

Working...
                    X