Starting Pitchers, Waivers, and The Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny Watch 2009 is on
    I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

• Here's a nice little article, it's interesting, I didn't know we were also looking for a bat. Bakers comment is funny saying that pinto is going to give him a heart attack at 28 years old

Will Marlins win the Brad Penny sweepstakes?

by Joe Capozzi
      Sometime today Brad Penny should clear waivers, opening a scramble for teams vying for his services. The Marlins are one of those teams, but if you’re Brad Penny and you can choose among the Yankees, Giants and Marlins, where would you want to go?

Brad Penny at Fenway Park in June
      Sure, Penny had a solid career with the Marlins, winning more World Series games in 2003 (two) than did Josh Beckett, the series’ MVP. I think it’s a long shot. We’ll know by tomorrow, the deadline for teams to sign players they want to include on their post-season roster. At the very least, Florida’s run at Penny at least shows that the front office isn’t giving up on the season yet.
      And the Marlins aren’t just looking at pitchers, according to a source who says the team is trying to land a position player…

LHP Renyel Pinto got the job done Sunday but he sure did create some unnecessary drama. In the bottom of the seventh inning, with Florida leading 5-3, he allowed the first two batters he faced to reach base, starting with pinch-hitter David Eckstein’s double.

With runners at first and second and one out, he struck Oscar Salazar (3-for-3 coming into the at-bat) and got Kevin Kouzmanoff to bounce out to end the inning.

“Pinto is possibly gonna give me a heart attack at 28 years old,” catcher John Baker said. “He always seems to walk the tightrope and he makes big pitches.” ..

Big month for Chris Coghlan, who got his 46th hit in August on Sunday — the most in any month by a National League rookie since Wally Moon had 52 for the Cardinals in July 1954.

A TV reporter asked Coghlan if he’d ever heard of Wally Moon. The Marlins rookie smiled: “You’re going ask me on camera I if I know him? I do not. No disrespect to him.”

Moon went on to win the NL Rookie of the Year Award in ‘54. Coghlan is making a strong case to win the award this year.

Coghlan’s response reminded me of the time Marlins second baseman Luis Castillo was asked during his 35-game hitting streak in 2002 if he’d ever heard of Joe DiMaggio. Luis gave a memorable blank stare, said something in Spanish to his interpreter — Marlins third base coach Ozzie Guillen — and shrugged his shoulders…

Comment

• If a team "wins" the Brad Penny spree, do they really "win"?

Comment

• you don't win friends with salad

Comment

• Depends what type of Penny they get. Rosenthal is reporting that the Giants are the strong favorite for brad penny but idk rosenthal talks a lot of shit

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              If a team "wins" the Brad Penny spree, do they really "win"?
              Ding Ding Ding. I dont consider Penny to be this massive upgrade. I like West a little more.

Comment

• Now if we're signing Penny because we shut down some arms, I have no problem with that. I just don't see Penny being an upgrade, but more of an innings eater to get through this season.

Comment

• Looks like he's heading to SF, I'm sure Beinfest has something up his sleeve though, I don't think he leaves the deadline without getting a pitcher or bat, considering we're in the middle of contention with less then 35 games to go

Comment

• pretty sure the waiver deadline already came and went

now anyone acquired would not qualify for the playoffs (if that was to be the case)

Comment

• I think its midnight

Comment

• yea, you might be right... think I misunderstood the deadline with Harden to the Twins

anyway, Brad Penny signed with San Fran

Comment

• Don't we have until tonight to Set our 25 man roster / playoff roster
                          Last edited by Big Z; 08-31-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• The 25 man roster is really irrelevant. As long as a player is on the 40 man roster and has been a part of the team at some point during the season, that player is eligible to be on the playoff roster. For example, Nick Johnson, Maybin, Volstad, Miller and Badenhop are all eligible to be on the playoff roster even though none of them are on the active roster right now. They have all played for the team this year and are on the 40 man roster.

Today is the last day to add players not on the 40 man roster (whether players already in the organization or players from other teams, like Brad Penny).
                            Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 08-31-2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Except they have to be on the active roster for tonight if they're not in the organization.

Hence the deadline. I think everyone realizes that if you were here before, you're fine now.

Comment

• That what I was saying. I was just clarifying because some people seem to think that only the people on the 25 man roster at midnight tonight can be on the playoff roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X