No announcement yet.

Starting Pitchers, Waivers, and The Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever he wants. I just want him around our pitchers.

Comment

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
        Whatever he wants. I just want him around our pitchers.
        What Ramp said. The announcers were talking briefly the other night about the positive impact Moehler had on the starters when he was here. Imagine how much that's multiplied if you have someone like Smoltz who has both started and closed at a Hall of Fame level. Oh, and he is the original MAN in October.

That, and, well, the back end of our rotation sucks. Let's face it.
        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
        - Daft

Comment

I jus dont see how this could be a bad thing. His veteran presence could help our pitchers big time.

Maybe he can do what Troy Percival did for the Rays bullpen last year.
          I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlinsfan4lyfe View Post
            I jus dont see how this could be a bad thing.
            Because we'd be running a guy out there who has nothing left and would actually be worse than our in-house options.

His veteran presence could help our pitchers big time.
            The "veteran presence" effect (as in he is going to make our current pitchers better) is so overrated, IMO. At this point, he's got to worry more about getting his own shit together and not embarrassing himself that I highly doubt he's going to be able to devote much time to 'mentoring' the other guys.
            Last edited by Sashimi; 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I'd rather have that veteran presence on the coaching staff and not taking up a spot on the 25 man roster.

Comment

OK, someone please explain to me this:

We have 5 rotation spots. 1 (JJ) is slam dunk no way in hell can you improve upon it. 1 (Nolasco) is alright, very up and down, but at this point in the season, you take the chance for brilliance along with the risk of dismemberment because you just can't improve at this time of the year. The rest, they're fucking awful. Volstad, West, Vandenhurk. Gross.

At the very worst, Smoltz gives you the same innings, a better K total and fewer walks than Vandenhurk; at the best, you get Ricky Nolasco lite. Sign me up for that. Heck, trade a B minus prospect to get him for free. What's the problem in getting Smoltz? It's not like he's taking a job from a deserving and performing player, and it's not like the season is lost. If you can get a guy like him right now to help us out, you do it.

And, as a disclaimer, I realize that we'd be reluctant to trade for Smoltz, and would rather sign him as a FA since he has a crazy clause in his contract that just pays him for days spent on the 25 man roster (I think $30K per day in addition to whatever he's already owed, plus innings threshold bonuses).

Comment

I mean if you want a pitcher who can go 4-5 innings of 5er+ ball, go get em.

Comment

At the very worst, Smoltz gives you the same innings, a better K total and fewer walks than Vandenhurk; at the best, you get Ricky Nolasco lite
                    RVH is a better option than the present-day Smoltz (people are still waxing too nostalgic). Smoltz will not K more than RVH and, more importantly, he will give up more runs. If we still had T&B bucks, I'd put fake money on it.

And Nolasco lite? lol.
                    Last edited by Sashimi; 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Pitcher 1:

7.425 K/9
                      2.025 BB/9
                      1.8 HR/9

Pitcher 2:

8.3 K/9
                      3.46 BB/9
                      2.07 HR/9

Pitcher 3:

6.13 K/9
                      2.81 BB/9
                      1.47 HR/9

Select two out of the three for the down the stretch rotation, then I'll tell you who they are.

Comment

I'll take #2 and #3 with Anibal coming back
                        Last edited by FishFF; 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Pitcher 1 and whatever pitcher between 2 and 3 depends on who has less Hits/9 and IP/start
                          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Smoltz 13.3 H/9 should count too.

Comment

One could argue that Smoltz has been unlucky with his BABIP and that will adjust, bringing down his H/9. But given his age and recent injury history, I would need to know more about what his stuff (and velocity) look like in order to say for sure that he's not just very hittable at this point. Though, sadly, his K/9 is still higher than Volstad's.

Comment

I'd rather have a guy pitch 7-8 Innings with 0K's and 0 ER than someone pitch 3 innings strike out the side every inning giving him 27K/9. So Smoltz having a higher K/9 isnt as important as other factors.

By the way I'm not saying Volstad, Smoltz, or anyone puts up those #'s lol
                                Last edited by BigGameFish; 08-13-2009, 05:32 PM.
                                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Working...
                                X