No announcement yet.

Starting Pitchers, Waivers, and The Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea i was thinking that. But at a low cost he is very serviceable, he is a Inning eaters(averages 6inning a starts), and can benefit greatly from the AL-to-NL switch, and moving to a more pitcher-friendly stadium in Landshark.
    Last edited by Fish and Chips; 08-07-2009, 08:06 PM.
    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
    Tom Koehler(4-0)
    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

2 months of Vicente Padilla is not worth 6 million dollars

Comment

Originally posted by Maybin View Post
        2 months of Vicente Padilla is not worth 6 million dollars
        2 months of vincente padilla is worth pro-rated 300k
        --------------------
        which would be 100k
        Last edited by nny; 08-07-2009, 09:24 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

My bad, I was looking at his current contract, not if he was signed as a FA

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
            padilla's peripherals suck
            Not to mention he'll infect the entire freakin' clubhouse with swine flu.

Comment

but he will protect hanley, so hanley can hit homeruns
              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
              Tom Koehler(4-0)
              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

If we're promised the relatively same production out of West and Smoltz as some would argue (I would not, I think Smoltz would be a marginal improvement at least), isn't Smoltz still better because we don't risk messing with West's head for good?
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

With the Marlins really doing the unthinkable this weekend as sweeping Philly after we looked like absolute shit in Washington we still have this issue of the 4th/5th starter and I really have no idea what the Marlins are going to decide to do. Vanden Hurk still worries me quite a bit and Sean West/Andrew Miller are in no position to take that 5th spot so what are the Marlins going to do?

Comment

Why couldn't we stretch Sanches out for the 4 or 5 spot? He could go 5 himself almost.

Comment

I think the question comes down to this:

Do we trust some combination of West/RVH/Miller/Anibal to give us 80ish innings of a 1.3 WHIP?

If the answer is yes, then the prudent thing becomes a rotation spot by committee. If you catch lightning in a bottle and someone gets hot, then yeah, you have both spots filled out.

Ultimately, I think we're one starter short. I'd be content riding West/Sanchez/Miller for the rest of the season, but we need to find that one extra arm, and it has to come from outside the organization; since we're trying to make the playoffs, we have to be prepared for when we get there, and you need 4 starters, and there is no one, save perhaps Miller or a healthy and effective Anibal (which may simply no longer exist) that is worthy of making the post season start if need be.

Comment

No way would I take a flier on Smoltz. Has anyone seen how low his arm has dropped? Good luck getting enough movement on any breaking pitches with an arm angle that is almost side arm. I may even support Padilla over Smoltz.

I'd take West over Smoltz. He is a lefty, fastball is harder and his breaking pitches are more likely to get outs.

Comment

Count the Florida Marlins among the teams interested in veteran right-hander and future Hall of Famer John Smoltz.
                          Smoltz refused a minor-league assignment and informed the Red Sox he had no interest in pitching out of the bullpen for them. They have until Sunday to either trade him or give him his outright release. The Marlins are probably among no less than half a dozen teams that would take onSmoltz.
                          He's got a good relationship with manager Fredi Gonzalez from their Atlanta days. You would think this would be an attractive situation for him considering he knows the National League East inside and out.
                          One scout told me of Smoltz: "I think he has something in the tank with something to prove. Not sure about closing, but there is a spot out of 12 for him."
                          Is the best spot in the bullpen? As a fifth starter? Would you guys rather see Smoltz instead of Sean West or Rick VandenHurk?
                          Let's not forget he lost five of his eight starts with an 8.32 ERA and gave up 59 hits in 40 innings with the Red Sox. He did walk nine and strikeout 33. Maybe he'd have an easier go of it in the NL.
                          The Marlins certainly could use the starting pitching depth. The toughest thing about the 14-6 loss to the Astros was that the bullpen needed to cover 5 2/3 innings after totaling 6 1/3 of Tuesday's 11-inning win.
                          Afterward, the Marlins optioned Tim Wood to Triple-A New Orleans. They need another arm just in case Sean West blows up Thursday. Too soon to bring back Luis Ayala, so the Marlins probably will dip into Double-A for eitherCristhian Martinez or Chris Leroux. Martinez last pitched on Sunday. He's probably good for three innings if the Marlins find themselves in a pinch. Leroux last pitched on Monday, tossing 2 1/3 innings in relief.
                          Quick Double-A side note...Anibal Sanchez looked good Wednesday in the first of two scheduled rehab starts for the Suns. He got the win after allowing a run on four hits through seven innings with two walks and three strikeouts. He's set to go again on Monday. After that, his next outing may be for the Marlins.
                          Source
                          Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 08-12-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Would you guys rather see Smoltz instead of Sean West or Rick VandenHurk?
                            No.

Comment

I am definitely in favor of bringing in Smoltzie

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                                I am definitely in favor of bringing in Smoltzie
                                As a starter?

Comment

Working...
                                X