Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bobby V: If this is a Major League Process I Hope I'm Never in the Process Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok.
    poop

Comment

The Marlins have a problem with what was considered its strength for several years: Team owner Jeffrey Loria keeps facing off against president David Samson and general manager Larry Beinfest.

It's not only become an embarrassment. It's infringing on the team's on-field decisions, as evidenced by the mishandling of the managerial situation

Rule No. 1 in firing anyone during a season is you have a replacement in hand. Signed. Sealed. Delivered. That's fundamental. (And don't point to the Baltimore Orioles having an interim manager while they search for a replacement - they're the Baltimore Orioles!)

Loria was itchy to fire Fredi Gonzalez and replace him with Bobby Valentine since last winter. He finally got his wish about firing Fredi. And he wanted to bring in Valentine - just like he wanted Joe Girardi over Beinfest's and Samson's wishes. The Girardi ending proved embarrassing for everyone involved. Only Girardi came out with dignity intact.

This latest episode of managerial change shows this front office borders on dysfunctional in some cases. Samson and Beinfest didn't want Valentine, according to a source. That put Valentine in the ridiculous position of being backed by the owner, held up publicly as the candidate and then blocked by Samson and Beinfest.

Embarrassing.

Ridiculous.

Just plain dumb.

So the Marlins fired Gonzalez and replaced him with a guy with no major league experience and a losing minor-league record in Edwin Rodriguez. What's more, Rodriguez's top lieutenants were roving minor-league instructors until this promotion.

Rodriguez and his staff are no doubt smart baseball people. And you wish them the best. But how is someone like Hanley Ramirez expected to listen too hard to them considering how this entire process came down?

For years, the Marlins have been held up as a team that showed other small-budget teams how to play the game. Now we're seeing they aren't as smart as they've let on. In this case, they were simply dysfunctional.

It's bad enough the way the roster has been constructed this season - little bullpen and no bench at all. Now they screw up the managerial decision in a big way. They should all be embarrassed.
      http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spor...fice_emba.html
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Bobby Valentine shed a little more light on his failed managerial bid with the Marlins during an interview today on SIRIUS XM’s “Mad Dog Radio”.

Valentine says the Marlins left him in the dark about no longer being a candidate.

Earlier in the week on Baseball Tonight, Valentine made some critical comments about his now defunct candidacy for the Marlins managerial job saying, “If this is a major-league process, I hope I’m never in the process again. It’s very disturbing, confusing and it was insulting at times.”

That led to the first question today from host Chris Russo: “Those are some harsh words. Can you tell me what’s going on with the Marlins?”

Bobby Valentine:
        “I didn’t mean for them to be harsh. I just meant for them to be honest. It’s a tough process once you start getting down to a situation. We never negotiated anything and, you know, I just feel when you’re 60 years old - you know, I know Jeffrey [Loria], I’ve known him for 25 years – I just felt that being left in the dark isn’t quite the way to allow things to move forward.

But I think it’s a good situation. As I told them right from the start, someone from the outside moving in in mid-season I don’t believe is a good idea. I don’t think you can train coaches and train players to think and do what you’re expecting on the run. That’s what spring training is for. And Edwin Rodriguez has had these guys in the minor leagues. He knows the spring training process, what that organizational philosophy is. So, you know, that was a good move. If, in fact, they had to change Fredi [Gonzalez] I would think that’s probably the right way to go.”

Russo: “So in other words, Bobby, they talked to you and then left you in the dark? What do you mean ‘left you in the dark?’ They began a discussion? What happened?”

Valentine: “Yeah, basically. I mean, I don’t want to get into the details on it, Chris. You know, I mean, I was reading in the paper I wasn’t a candidate, you know? And I don’t really like that stuff. You know, we did have conversations and then the next thing I know their leaks have people writing things that I’m no longer a candidate and they’re going in another direction. Well, you know, if that’s the case tell me. I’m a big boy. It’s real easy.”

Russo: “Would you say you’re soured on this whole managerial search now for these jobs? Was the Baltimore thing decent?”

Valentine: “No. To tell you the truth, the in-season stuff where you have all the rules and regulations that are set forth - rightfully so, I guess - by the commissioner that you have to interview so many different types of people from in and outside your organization before you’re allowed to hire a person you want to, it’s a pretty tough process. I don’t know that it’s tough. It doesn’t seem like it’s the way most industries do it.”
        Bobby Valentine: Florida Marlins left me in the dark

Comment

Soooooo, he thinks the whole situation is indeed tough when trying to figure it out midseason.

But he is 60, it should be made easier for him by his friend.

Oh, and the media said stuff. Weird, the media usually knows everything and doesn't tend to try to break "news" and spread rumors despite knowing nothing.

Comment

Interesting story in Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal about how Bobby Valentine found out once and for all that he was no longer a candidate for the Marlins’ managerial opening.

Valentine was sitting in ESPN’s Bristol, Conn., offices on June 29 when one of the many flat-screen TV screens showed Marlins players gathering in the dugout in San Juan, Puerto Rico, around owner Jeffrey Loria. Commentators in the clip, from a regional telecast, explained that Loria was telling players that Edwin Rodriguez would the full-time manager for the rest of the season.

“I can’t believe this,” Valentine exclaimed to a room of around a dozen employees and on-air talent preparing for the nightly “Baseball Tonight” broadcast. “That’s not where he [Loria] told me he was.”
            RODRIGUEZ’S HIRE SURPRISED VALENTINE

Comment

ooooh a lover's quarrel perhaps!

Comment

That ain't right.

Comment

Fredi is going to be on the Sedano show tomorrow morning.

Comment

I kinda like Edwin... I think

Comment

• Comment

• Personally I like Edwin. This said I would give him a chance to get off to a strong start and if he fails replace him with a low profile guy. If they want to go out and get a guy like Valentine it doesn't matter but don't replace Edwin with a schmuck.

Comment

• It won't take alot to get Bobby V here. All they gotta do is tell him that they will spend cash and go after FA instead of giving guys away or not even offer arby

That was the major problem back then

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            It won't take alot to get Bobby V here. All they gotta do is tell him that they will spend cash and go after FA instead of giving guys away or not even offer arby

That was the major problem back then
                            This seems like alot

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              This seems like alot
                              Maybe not so much after the leaked financial documents.

Comment

• I think the FO is pretty unapologetic about the whole thing and the Festas of the board fap to the profit at any cost operation the Marlins are running. Me, personally, as a fan of the team, think it sucks ass.
                                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X