No announcement yet.

Marlins Fire Fredi Gonzalez, Jim Presley, Carlos Tosca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wayne huizenga is a fafillionaire and super famous in south florida and he couldn't get a stadium built

john henry is a gajillionaire and he couldn't get a stadium built

jeff loria is some weird looking guy from out of town with the least money of the three of them and somehow he got the stadium built

i'm willing to cut him a little slack in the "ruining this franchise" category
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I was in Tortola when I heard the news.

If this move was made to go after Bobby Valentine I am slightly less infuriated. It was no secret Fred was probably going back to Atlanta after the end of this season. However, I don't think Bobby V taking the O's job was a slam dunk.

I thought Fredi would finish out the season after the Hanley incident (publicly atleast).

But having Loria, Samson, and the FO publicly bitch and moan about this team's performance is infuriating. Talk about clueless assholes who don't get it. They run this team like a retail store manager.

Comment

• MIAMI -- Florida Marlins All-Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez says his occasionally strained relationship with Fredi Gonzalez was not a factor in dismissal of Florida's all-time winningest manager.

Ramirez says everybody in the Marlins' clubhouse "will miss" Gonzalez, and believes that his former skipper will land another managerial job in the near future. Ramirez added that he and Gonzalez exchanged kind words for each other after the manager was fired last week.

Meanwhile, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is indicating that the team's search for a manager is not nearing an end, saying "we have to do what we have to do." Interim manager Edwin Rodriguez will go with the Marlins to San Juan and expects to manage when Florida opens a three-game series there against the New York Mets on Monday.

The Marlins gave Rodriguez a formal interview Saturday, the latest part of their ongoing quest to find a permanent replacement for Gonzalez, who was fired Wednesday after 3½ seasons. Bobby Valentine is still thought to be the front-runner for the job, and Rodriguez wasn't told when the Marlins will make a decision.
        Ramirez says he'll miss Gonzalez

Comment

• Hanley-speak

Comment

• I question how much Loria had to do with the stadium deal being finalized, considering what little money he is putting into the project isnt out of pocket but out of revenue generated by the building.

I think MLB, University of Miami, and the Dolphins(in a roundabout way anyway, since they wanted the Marlins out) deserve alot of credit, more than the ivy league carpet bagger who couldnt even afford to buy the team outright 8 years ago after systematically destroying the Montreal Expos in a quest for greed, anyway.
            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• whatever it was, he was able to do something no one else could do. huizenga and henry are pretty savvy business men, if it was as simple as saying "i'll contribute $250 million of money generated by the stadium itself" it would have gotten done a long time ago. and samson, for all his flaws, played a huge part in it as well.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                I think MLB, University of Miami, and the Dolphins(in a roundabout way anyway, since they wanted the Marlins out) deserve alot of credit, more than the ivy league carpet bagger who couldnt even afford to buy the team outright 8 years ago after systematically destroying the Montreal Expos in a quest for greed, anyway.
                ehe

Comment

• You can't do anything but giggle
                  --------------------
                  That's just Todd
                  --------------------
                  That's just Todd
                  Last edited by Metes; 06-27-2010, 03:08 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• That is fantastic. Two teams shared a stadium with the Marlins. One of these teams had the Marlins by the balls with the lease terms. The other team is actually a college team that simply has a lease to use the stadium for roughly 6 Saturdays a year. These two entities had more to do with getting the Marlins a stadium than the guy who is paying for part of the stadium and actually did all of the lobbying, etc. work to get the stadium. Outstanding.

Also, nice to see that being an Ivy leaguer is somehow a bad thing. Really reflects poorly on a person to have a degree from Yale. Much better have someone with street smarts run an MLB team. Your book smarts and fancy-pants "theories" ain't no good in this real world.

Comment

• Hey man, Yale ain't got shit on SIU.

Comment

• Todd being Todd

Comment

• I mean who the fuck still says carpetbagger anyway?

Comment

• High ranking Confederate officers Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                              I question how much Loria had to do with the stadium deal being finalized, considering what little money he is putting into the project isnt out of pocket but out of revenue generated by the building.

1) The only third party that deserves credit for getting the stadium done is Major League Baseball. They restarted the negotiations with the city of Miami while the Marlins were getting to second base with the city of Hialeah.

2) UM did nothing to advance the stadium. It took a major hurricane, closure of the upper deck and a few years of mediocrity for UM to finally see the writing on the wall in regards to the Orange Bowl.

3) Wayne Huizenga and his Dolphins stood to lose a lot if the Marlins left JRS and stayed in Miami. Huizenga even tried to keep his hands in the Marlins pockets by building them a stadium on his land with the same lease terms.

Huizenga sabotaged the stadium negotiations in 2005. The Marlins were thisclose to securing money in Tallahassee and Wayne came out and said he might put a roof on JRS. There are some who contend Arriola (remember that douche?) and other higher ups in the city of Miami were in Huizenga's back pocket but those were just rumors.

The Dolphins now have to compete with the Marlins for money.

4) Loria and MLB had a hand in sabotaging Montreal. MLB had decided back in the mid 90s that Montreal was no longer viable due to the economics of exchange rates . (NHL did the same with Canadian teams!) MLB is not running a charity, without some major revenue sharing concessions by the players Montreal was not going to work. Washington was such a much better option you almost can't blame them for doing it.

Comment

• Festa that makes too much sense

Ivy league carpetbaggers didn't want the stadium to happen duh
                                --------------------
                                What's a carpetbagger
                                Last edited by McLevin; 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X