No announcement yet.

Fredi Gonzalez 2010: Fredi Got Fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse, "there's some belief in the game" that the Marlins have already set up a deal for Bobby Valentine to succeed Fredi Gonzalez as the Marlins' manager.
    Valentine was connected in talks with the team over the winter, so his hire wouldn't come as a tremendous surprise. Marlins manager Jeffrey Loria said his firing of Gonzalez ultimately came down to their place in the standings, but it's pretty clear that he was fighting a losing battle in Florida. Jun. 23 - 12:22 pm et
    Source: Rotoworld
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

seriously fired a guy after winning 3 of 4

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
        seriously fired a guy after winning 3 of 4
        We're also 34-36, and three of four is not exactly what I would consider going on a tear. Something had to be done. Too many times this season it looked like we were breaking out of it only to go through another tailspin.

Now obviously it hasn't been all Fredi's fault, as the FO hasn't exactly given him a late 90s Yankees' bullpen to work with, but sometimes changes like these can really set a team off (see: 2009 Rockies). If it means that we're getting a vastly superior manager in Bobby Valentine, I am 100% behind this decision.

Comment

I prefer to look at it as we fired a guy after losing 4 of 7!
          poop

Comment

I just don't see how Bobby Valentine is that much better (or worse) of a manager. Within 2 weeks everyone will hate him too (as they should).

All managers are retarded and don't look at numbers and stuff.

Comment

I think managers and coaches are overrated. Valentine is just awsome though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8852885

Even if they don't get Valentine I like the idea of "blowing it up".
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                I just don't see how Bobby Valentine is that much better (or worse) of a manager. Within 2 weeks everyone will hate him too (as they should).

All managers are retarded and don't look at numbers and stuff.
                People care about stuff like "getting the team fired up" and stuff, and they think it matters.

Also, I remember Manny Acta liked looking at numbers when he was in Washington, and he sucked because his team sucked. The fact of the matter is that while most managers are idiots, even the smart ones can't overcome a lack of talent.

Personally, I think this team is better than their record right now, and I think they'll start playing like that and it will be credited to the new manager firing them up and stuff when really it will be the bullpen being figured out (to an extent) and the lineup clicking at the right time.
                poop

Comment

ehehe

ESPN Alert: Bobby Valentine withdraws his name from O's managerial search
                  - Michael Johnson

Comment

Hanley's gonna start hitting with RISP and Stanton's going to OPS .775 and Bobby V will get credit!
                    poop

Comment

Bobby V puts on cool bobstaches
                      - Michael Johnson

Comment

Does this Valentine guy come equipped with a bullpen? Because if he doesnt, then I dont think he will make that much of a difference.

Comment

Word on the street is that he has the ability to make wormholes work and is bringing us 2004 Armando Benitez.
                          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Pointless posturing.

Coaches exist so front offices have scapegoats for their fuckups. Plain as that.

The delta between a great manager and a shitty one has such a minimal impact on a team that it's retarded to harp on that as a real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
                              Pointless posturing.

Coaches exist so front offices have scapegoats for their fuckups. Plain as that.

The delta between a great manager and a shitty one has such a minimal impact on a team that it's retarded to harp on that as a real issue.
                              Not true, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                                We're also 34-36, and three of four is not exactly what I would consider going on a tear. Something had to be done. Too many times this season it looked like we were breaking out of it only to go through another tailspin.

Now obviously it hasn't been all Fredi's fault, as the FO hasn't exactly given him a late 90s Yankees' bullpen to work with, but sometimes changes like these can really set a team off (see: 2009 Rockies). If it means that we're getting a vastly superior manager in Bobby Valentine, I am 100% behind this decision.
                                Or shit can stay the same or get worse (see: the other 40 thousand midseason firings.)

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                                Not true, but whatever.
                                Yes it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X