Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Marlins Make a Deadline Move on July 31st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Do the Marlins Make a Deadline Move on July 31st?

I say no.

Yes, it will improve the club
    40.74%
    Yes, but it will do nothing for us
    29.63%
    No, we won't do shit
    29.63%

I'm about 70/30 that we can either get Pavano or get the Johnson trade done (both of which would help us) so I voted yes.

Comment

I think we'll get Nick Johnson at the very least, so I say it will help us

Comment

Here comes a LOOGY

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
          I think we'll get Nick Johnson at the very least, so I say it will help us
          This.

Comment

NJ doesnt make up a playoff team guys, so sorry that means it doesnt help us.
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

I'm still hoping for Bell/Gonzalez, but I agree with mba in thinking that we get at least one of Johnson and Pavano, if not both.
              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
              - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
                I'm still hoping for Bell/Gonzalez, but I agree with mba in thinking that we get at least one of Johnson and Pavano, if not both.

I cant even imagine what Padres where demanding for both of those guys, probably our entire farm system and Hanley.
                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                  NJ doesnt make up a playoff team guys, so sorry that means it doesnt help us.
                  I happen to think it does. It places everyone in a role more befitting them (save for Cantu at third base but beggars can't be choosers and that .400+ OBP sure would like sexy right in front of Hanley). It also takes Bonifacio out of the equation and lets him be in a role in which he should excel and thereby keep everyone fresher on the infield.

Comment

Moving a bad player to the bench doesnt push you so the playoffs. Putting a .400 OBP in front of Hanley wont make a big difference in the win column. We need a bat BEHIND Hanley not in front of him. Plus NJ is slow and old so its not like he will be scoring from first base on a Hanley gapper so who cares if he walks a lot. I agree it DOES help our team but with recent aquisitions by Phili, St.Loius, SF, resurgance of the Cubs, its going to take luck for us to win the Div or WC
                    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Johnson has a great glove, improving the defense at four positions if he can save throws at first. He also can improve the offense by clogging the bases in front of Hanley, who hits a sparkling .396/.462/.604 with runners on and .424/.486/.630 with RISP
                      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                      - Daft

Comment

It would have been ideal to get someone to bat 4th because then everyone moves down and suddenly our lineup is very dangerous. But if he is slotted at 2 everyone 4-8 is still one spot higher than they should be.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
                        Johnson has a great glove, improving the defense at four positions if he can save throws at first. He also can improve the offense by clogging the bases in front of Hanley, who hits a sparkling .396/.462/.604 with runners on and .424/.486/.630 with RISP

It sounds like you are making excuses for this trade. Defense? Seriously? We are looking to upgrade on defense with a player we will only have for 2 months? Sorry 2 months of even Gold Glove defense doesnt even make the difference of 1 win for a team.
                        Last edited by BigGameFish; 07-31-2009, 10:27 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Moving a bad player to the bench doesnt push you so the playoffs. Putting a .400 OBP in front of Hanley wont make a big difference in the win column. We need a bat BEHIND Hanley not in front of him. Plus NJ is slow and old so its not like he will be scoring from first base on a Hanley gapper so who cares if he walks a lot. I agree it DOES help our team but with recent aquisitions by Phili, St.Loius, SF, resurgance of the Cubs, its going to take luck for us to win the Div or WC

That's silly to base it on luck because everyone has to have luck to win.

That said, I'm not disagreeing with your main points, I just think that you are wrong in thinking that we need a bat behind Hanley rather than someone who gets on base regularly in front of him! Sub Zero already brought up the stats so nuff said.

Comment

It would have been ideal to get someone to bat 4th because then everyone moves down and suddenly our lineup is very dangerous. But if he is slotted at 2 everyone 4-8 is still one spot higher than they should be.
                            --------------------

It sounds like you are making excuses for this trade. Defense? Seriously? We are looking to upgrade on defense with a player we will only have for 2 months? Sorry 2 months of even Gold Glove defense doesnt even make the difference of 1 win for a team.
                            Really? So defense is of no consequence whatsoever?

Also, how can you argue you want someone hitting behind Hanley when he's among the best (if not the best) hitter with runners on this year? Dude is hitting .400 with runners on!!!!! You don't need people behind Hanley (Cantu is already there), you need people for Ramirez to drive in.
                            - Daft

Comment

We are gonna make at least 1 move. Either Johnson,Rhodes,or Pavano maybe even 2 of 3 or all 3

Comment

Working...
                              X