No announcement yet.

Jorge Cantu Makes History; Volstad Solid As Fish Beat Reds 5-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another dare I say unimpressive start for Chris Volstad. It's progress but I'd like to see more groundouts and less walks.

5 Ks, 4 BB, a homer, 8 ground outs, 6 flyouts
    --------------------
    Originally posted by Ramp View Post
    wasn't on tv
    I was wondering why they had 14K.
    Last edited by Party; 04-14-2010, 10:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Brenneman was wondering that too

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
        Another dare I say unimpressive start for Chris Volstad. It's progress but I'd like to see more groundouts and less walks.

5 Ks, 4 BB, a homer, 8 ground outs, 6 flyouts
        Unimpressive? This makes 2 starts now where he entered the 7th inning only having allowed 1 run. He gave up the homer on his 117th pitch, a career high, in his second game of the season when he had not thrown even 100 pitches in 2010. 5 K's for Volstad is A LOT. That's not his game. He may not have been perfect but this was a very solid start.

Or were you just trying to get me to say something?

Comment

"what's this guy doing hitting 8th?"

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7443589

Comment

Festa, he set a career high in pitches...if that doesn't impress you....

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              "what's this guy doing hitting 8th?"

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7443589
              That was hilarious.

Comment

Dude has some serious pop in that bat. You know when he hits the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                  Festa, he set a career high in pitches...if that doesn't impress you....
                  That's not what I meant. I meant that this was game 9 on the season and that's a lot of pitches for this early in the season, especially since it's about 20 more pitches than he has thrown in months. I'm sure he was feeling a bit tired by then.

Comment

I've been saying since last season that I'd be very interested to see what kind of numbers Carroll could put up if he were an every day starter.

Comment

Even nicer that he did this off a hard throwing righty too

Comment

117 is a lot of pitches at the end of the season. At what point of the season is it less, though?

Comment

If you told everyone on this board at the start of spring training that we'd get 6+ innings out of Volstad in each of his first two starts, we'd take it no questions asked.
                          poop

Comment

I like to ask questions.

And then you would prob argue with somebody after

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                              117 is a lot of pitches at the end of the season. At what point of the season is it less, though?
                              I would say sometime during the middle, but even then, it's risky for a young arm. Volstad is still pretty young.

I thought Fredi shouldn't have let him go out another inning when he finished 6 with 101.
                              poop

Comment

Or is he young and fresh and you don't want to tax an older arm because it might be the straw that breaks the dam

:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X