No announcement yet.

Marlins Acquire Nate Robertson from Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Robertson's numbers hadn't declined each year over the last 4 years, I'd be a tad more excited

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
      Again though, if you don't sign him until August, you're then paying him $1mil in each of the final 2 months.

In actuality, this is a $6mil deal pro rated when August comes around. So he's being paid as if it was a $6mil deal for the final 2 months.
      No, then you're paying him 333k for the final two months. You sign the annual salary, then you prorate it.

Comment

Are you saying Pedro was only paid $666,000 last year?

Comment

What you're doing isn't prorating. What you're doing is normal salary. If you sign a player to make two mil for in two months, and saying you signed him for a 2 mil base, there's absolutely no prorating going on.
          --------------------
          Are you saying Pedro was only paid $666,000 last year?
          953,488.37 base and 550k in incentives = 1.5 mil, basically.
          Last edited by nny; 03-30-2010, 01:59 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I think we're in agreement

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
              Nobody is losing sleep. That doesn't mean it's not dumb. We gained nothing and gave up something. Regardless of how important that something is, it's still something.
              How do you know we gave up something? An AA lefty reliever is hardly a sure thing. I remember people complaining about giving up similar prospects in Gaby Hernandez, Yusmeiro Petit, Yorman Bazardo, Travis Chick, etc. and not much has come from any of them. Beinfest and co. seem to have a pretty good grasp of the value of their prospects and who they are willing to give up.

Not to mention we get an experienced ML pitcher who is now moving into a more pitcher friendly league and is completely healthy for the first time in a while. Plus, we are paying very little for him.
              Last edited by fauowls44; 03-30-2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

We lost something and got nothing?

I enjoy the fact that if we traded a 5th starter for a nobody reliever the same fucking assholes here would also be bitching and whining

It is a fact

Comment

I like it. Innings and a lefty. Depth is a good thing. We already have a ton of short guys so Voss is expendable. If we lose a starter we're looking at Miller or West. Now we at least have 6 guys at the ML level.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post

I enjoy the fact that if we traded a 5th starter for a nobody reliever the same fucking assholes here would also be bitching and whining

It is a fact
                    well yea... why the hell would we trade a 5th starter for a nobody reliever

no one would be happy if that occurred

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                      How do you know we gave up something? An AA lefty reliever is hardly a sure thing. I remember people complaining about giving up similar prospects in Gaby Hernandez, Yusmeiro Petit, Yorman Bazardo, Travis Chick, etc. and not much has come from any of them. Beinfest and co. seem to have a pretty good grasp of the value of their prospects and who they are willing to give up.
                      Outside of Chick I doubt anyone cared much at all about any of those names listed. And not even much then.

The only reason people were upset with Petit leaving was the fact that it left us stuck with Jorge Julio for a while.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post

It is a fact
                        And you'd be bitching about those assholes.

It's a fact.

Comment

well yea... why the hell would we trade a 5th starter for a nobody reliever

no one would be happy if that occurred
                          We traded a nobody for a 5th starter. Since that is such a horrible terrible end of the Marlins type of thing, maybe people would like the opposite

Maybe meaning they wouldn't because people wouldn't like anything, ever.

Seddon for Manny would have meant we either pay too much for a guy or we should have given up somebody else

It fucking gets old
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          And you'd be bitching about those assholes.

It's a fact.
                          That is absolutely a fact. I am trying to fix the world, one SoFla at a time
                          Last edited by Beef; 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

The only thing that gets old is you never adding anything to a discussion and instead just bitching about people

Comment

Saying this is a terrible move because we gave up something and got nothing is less than nothing. Especially from the guy who has gone so far as to say he doesn't really understand baseball/talent, but he can read what the numbers say.

Comment

Well what we gave up was more than just a potentially decent lefty bullpen arm. We are now giving innings to a guy who's numbers have decreased in each of the last few years. I think most here would rather have seen what Hensley could do over a known quantity in Nate Robertson.

(albeit Hensley's last healthy season (in the bigs) isn't exactly stellar either)

Comment

Working...
                                X