'Los Marlins' for Every Friday Home Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Los Marlins' for Every Friday Home Game

Meanwhile, the Florida Marlins this season are dubbing Friday night home games at Sun Life Stadium as “Fiesta Fridays” replacing “Fish Fridays.” Fiesta Fridays will have a heavy Latin flare, says Sean Flynn, the team’s vice president of marketing.

Hispanic baseball legends will sign autographs and salsa and pleneros bands will perform before games. And with the exception of Opening Night on April 9, the Marlins will be known as “Los Marlins” at Friday home games and will wear a Los Marlins patch on their uniforms.

Ugh. This is bad.

Horrible idea.

Once? Fine. Every Friday? Come on.

Comment

should be Los Marleens

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
        Horrible idea.

Once? Fine. Every Friday? Come on.
        It's better than West Palm White Night, cause I mean Miami is over 70% hispanic and they are building a stadium in Little Havana.

Horrible idea? No. Know your audience.

Comment

Pandering to the hispanic community in the past has really put those gate numbers over the top.

They're already distancing themselves from the state of Florida this year, furthering their isolationist policies, while becoming further exclusionary is probably not the best idea for a team struggling at the gate and desperate to forge a sense of community. For every person in the target audience you turn "on" you run the same risk of turning someone outside the target audience "off."

Like I said, do it once like the Heat, great, why not. Every week? You're becoming excessive.

Comment

iAY DIOS MIO!
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Doing this more than once is very tacky

Mickey Mouse franchise bs

Comment

Do Hispanics really get excited about having "Los" on the jersey? I don't get this.

Comment

Maybe some of them, but we could be using the money that is going to pay for these patches to sign a 5th starter

Comment

This just gives visiting fans more reason to make fun of us when they hear "Thank for coming to today's game between the New York Mets and Los Marleeeeeensssssss!"
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Well, I don't think we will employ one of those fans from the crowd that chants LEZ GO MARLEEN for every Friday night game

Comment

Who really cares? If they want to wear a "Los Marlins" patch every Friday for Fiesta Fridays, what difference does it make to anyone? I'm not Hispanic and I have zero problem with it. They have done the Fiesta Friday thing for years, and if this is an extension of that, fine. They are moving to Little Havana in a few years and want to attract more Hispanic fans. Will a "Los" patch accomplish that? In and of itself, probably not, but it's part of the overall marketing to that community, like the Heat, Bulls, Mavs, and Knicks in the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                          Who really cares? If they want to wear a "Los Marlins" patch every Friday for Fiesta Fridays, what difference does it make to anyone? I'm not Hispanic and I have zero problem with it. They have done the Fiesta Friday thing for years, and if this is an extension of that, fine. They are moving to Little Havana in a few years and want to attract more Hispanic fans. Will a "Los" patch accomplish that? In and of itself, probably not, but it's part of the overall marketing to that community, like the Heat, Bulls, Mavs, and Knicks in the NBA.
                          The amount of haters to the front office is astounding.

I hope they build a Cookie Royas statute giving everyone the middle finger as he's waiving Chuck Carr to his doom around 3B. With a bucket of KFC Grilled Wings.

Comment

For the ftr, post #9 in here was meant as a silly overreaction so I could fit in with everyone else

::long necked sheep icon::

Comment

The proportion of Hispanic people at Marlins game is greater than the general population. http://floridafishfan.blogspot.com/2...da-part-5.html

However this is completely silly.

If you're going to throw out a nod to the Hispanic community, have a retro night once a month where the Marlins where a jersey from an old Cuban or Puerto Rican league team. Throwing 'Los' on the jerseys every Friday is excessive and accomplishes nothing.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              Do Hispanics really get excited about having "Los" on the jersey? I don't get this.
                              Nope.

No one will notice.
                              Last edited by Party; 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                              X