No announcement yet.

SI: Beinfest Game's 4th Best GM....Errr...President of BBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember Beinfest's answer to a hole in the 2005 rotation was $8 million to Al Leiter.
    --------------------
    Whether it was a result of the budget or not, Beinfest deserves credit for shifting the FO's line of thinking from veteran retreads to younger MiLB options.

Remember those 2004 and 2005 bullpens? Billy Koch, John Riedling, Matt Perisho, Josias Fucking Manzanillo?
    Last edited by Party; 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      It's too bad they don't give out Pennants and World Series rings based on the evaluation of the process'.
      I'd rather base the skill of a GM with what the GM has control over, rather than what luck he's had with players transcending.

Saying Beinfest deserves skillz pointz because of Hanley when he himself admits he didn't think Hanley would be this good (and no one did) makes no sense.
      Last edited by nny; 03-08-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

It's too bad they don't give out Pennants and World Series rings based on the evaluation of the process'.
        Eventually if your process sucks things will eventually break down.

I'm thinking of the 70s-80s Royals, mid 80s-early 90s Blue Jays and the 90s Indians.

Comment

So then 28 GMs are a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
            So then 28 GMs are a failure.
            Nny's reasoning has me believing every GM is that

Comment

I guess I'd rather base it on the product on the field. Winning 80+ games a year is pretty cool with a 73 cent payroll. Again I'm not saying he's good, bad or whatever. I just think it's stupid to say some things dont count because it wasn't the first option.

Comment

Beef, do you believe a GM is only as good (or bad) as his W/L record?

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I[/ame]

Comment

I don't think you can give him extra credit for a guy like Hanley, but I don't think you can use it against him either. Nobody expected him to be this good, but he is. Everyone gets lucky. What I give him credit for is being able to build a competitive team around Hanley with a miniscule payroll and to consistently get good value. He's had some good trades and some bad trades, but overall he does more good than bad.
                    poop

Comment

I agree with what he deserves credit for (competitive on low payroll) but come on, more good than bad? Emilio Bonifacio? Jorge Julio? "Our guys"

Comment

Beef, do you believe a GM is only as good (or bad) as his W/L record?
                        Nope. But when I read Nny's posts on this, I feel like one of those robots that says "Does not compute" for 20 seconds, shakes, and then explodes

Comment

I agree with what he deserves credit for (competitive on low payroll) but come on, more good than bad? Emilio Bonifacio? Jorge Julio? "Our guys"
                          Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                          If there's a giant flaw with him, it's that he does put too much faith in "his guys". But I don't see how he's not a top 10 GM at least.
                          Yes, I believe he does more good than bad.

Boner is on him, to be sure. He sucks, and he should have replaced him way earlier. We could have made it to the playoffs if he traded for NJ in May.

But is it Larry Beinfest's fault that Jorge Julio had 9.1 crap innings with us sandwiched between 44 innings of 3.83 ERA in Zona beforehand and 52.2 innings of 3.93 ERA in Colorado afterward?

Jorge Julio sucked for us, but I'm not sure that can be put on Beinfest. He was solid in the time surrounding his time with us and just shit all over himself for the equivalent of one full game with us. How much can you put of that on Beinfest? He stuck with him for all of two weeks as the closer, that's not really a "he's our guy" situation on the Bonifacio level.

You can't put Julio on him completely and then not give credit for Uggla, Cody, Cantu, Kiko, Dan Meyer, etc. He's done more good than bad for us, absolutely.
                          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM.
                          poop

Comment

I don't think you can give him extra credit for a guy like Hanley, but I don't think you can use it against him either. Nobody expected him to be this good, but he is. Everyone gets lucky. What I give him credit for is being able to build a competitive team around Hanley with a miniscule payroll and to consistently get good value. He's had some good trades and some bad trades, but overall he does more good than bad.
                            I'm not "using it against him." I'm saying it's not a representation of his talent level.

Comment

Yes, I believe he does more good than bad.

Boner is on him, to be sure. He sucks, and he should have replaced him way earlier. We could have made it to the playoffs if he traded for NJ in May.

But is it Larry Beinfest's fault that Jorge Julio had 9.1 crap innings with us sandwiched between 44 innings of 3.83 ERA in Zona beforehand and 52.2 innings of 3.93 ERA in Colorado afterward?

Jorge Julio sucked for us, but I'm not sure that can be put on Beinfest. He was solid in the time surrounding his time with us and just shit all over himself for the equivalent of one full game with us. How much can you put of that on Beinfest? He stuck with him for all of two weeks as the closer, that's not really a "he's our guy" situation on the Bonifacio level.

You can't put Julio on him completely and then not give credit for Uggla, Cody, Cantu, Kiko, Dan Meyer, etc. He's done more good than bad for us, absolutely.
                              You can't put anybody bad on him because he never expected any of those guys to be as bad as they ended up being. Right? That's how it works, no?

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                                You can't put anybody bad on him because he never expected any of those guys to be as bad as they ended up being. Right? That's how it works, no?
                                I like that you agreed with me that Hanley becoming Hanley was luck, yet that it should be counted as skill for Beinfest.

Comment

Working...
                                X