Gaby Sanchez Wins 1B Starting Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
    The one variable I'm interested in seeing is Gaby's mindset. The first base job was his to lose last spring training and that's exactly what he did. If he can't handle the pressure and chokes again this spring training, I'd rather start Logan's clock sooner.
    That is a variable you will have a tough time seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
      That is a variable you will have a tough time seeing.
      Not if he hits below .200 this spring like he did last year.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
        Not if he hits below .200 this spring like he did last year.
        That seems ridiculous to me.
        If he struggles, you can just write it off to mind set?

Some sort of Colin Cowherd and about 95% of sports writers and Fips would probably agree with that

Comment

A lot of guys struggle in spring and then turn it on come the season. I would say the biggest thing is can Gaby stay healthy. Wasn't that the issue last spring anyways? His knee? I would prefer to wait on Logan.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
            I want the one that sounds like an X-Men, not the one that sounds like a gossipy girl in high school.
            Gabriel Summers was an X-Man, so you're good either way!
            Sanchez life

Comment

Good to hear Gaby lost 20 lbs. He needed to lose that weight.

It should decrease his chances of getting injured and help him out on defense.

Comment

If he got off the PEDs and lost the weight he truly is fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  BroncoBob, aka the biggest Gaby hater not named Todd, and Marlins2003 on the "other board" are using their performances in the winter leagues as reasons why Bonifacio should be given another chance over gaby.

They are the worst.
                  I dont hate Gaby Sanchez. I just have to be extreme to a degree because Marlins1 pisses me off. I think Gaby would be a decent stop gap but I dont see him as the long term solution at 1B, and if Morrison outperforms him in the spring just give it to Morrison.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                    I dont hate Gaby Sanchez. I just have to be extreme to a degree because Marlins1 pisses me off. I think Gaby would be a decent stop gap but I dont see him as the long term solution at 1B, and if Morrison outperforms him in the spring just give it to Morrison.
                    If Gaby is a stopgap for 2 months, the result of calling Logan up in June is, the Marlins save $2 million if he is below average player Morrison in 2013, $3 million if he is average, and $4 million if he is good. And keeping his rights for 2016. Enormous.

I really can't see any situation where I'd advocate Logan starts over Gaby, except for injury. We need to see what we have in Gaby, we need to give Logan AAA time, and we need to delay that arbitration clock like woah.

Comment

To me this year is make or break time for Gaby. Dude was drafted in 2005 and he'll be 27 before the season ends.

Show me or blow me.

Comment

I agree. It works both ways, though. It's not just for Gaby. The team needs to see if he gives them value or not this season.

But is ST really the time when you decide "This guy is worthless"?
                        poop

Comment

Its apparently how the Marlins decide.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Some more today from Fredi:

Sanchez, who bats right-handed, will start Wednesday when the Marlins play their first spring game against the University of Miami, which Sanchez attended.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Sanchez and Morrison will alternate starts for at least the first week of Grapefruit League action.

If Sanchez and Morrison both struggle this spring, third baseman Jorge Cantu could move to first and Jorge Jimenez, the team's Rule 5 draft pick, could start at third.
                            http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...ns-297345.html

Comment

If both suck i would rather see jimenez than Helms starting.. Helms has a niche in PH'ing however him starting would be boneresque!

Comment

Through today:

Gaby Sanchez

.364/.417/.455

Logan Morrison

.071/.181/.214

Comment

Working...
                                X