So 2010 Projection Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So 2010 Projection Time

So keeping Uggla means we actually have a rather solid idea of what our line up will be, as only one spot really is up for grabs that matters, and that's more or less interchangeable.

Overall, not much of a difference from last year. Last season we finished with a .268/.340/.416/.756 line (.339 wOBA), and this calls for a .263/.336/.427/.763 line (.340 wOBA). After scoring 788 runs last year, this would ask for 796 runs. Defensively, we're still quite bad, mostly thanks to Cantu at 3b and Baker at C. One of the good things though is that we shouldn't have a single "base clogger", filled instead with a few real good guys and the rest about average.

All in all, this puts us at about 71 wins, so our pitching would have to come up with about 10 wins to make us a winning team, 20 to put us in playoff contention. I'll look at pitching later.

So what can change for the offense? Well, for Hanley, Uggla, Cody, Cantu, and Baker we more or less know what we're getting. So that leaves the last 3 spots. Signing Delgado is about a +1 win advantage. Or, real optimistic, if Coghlan, Maybin, and Logan/Gaby can all managa to be mid-800 bats instead, we're now talking about 50 more runs scored. Like wise though, they could all tank, leaving us faltering.

Our depth is actually pretty decent though. Should Maybin or Coghlan falter, there's Carroll, Logan, Petersen, and Cousins, and one of those should be adequate enough. Like wise with 1B, we have depth there, thanks in part to being able to shift Cantu over.

Injury wise, the only place we would really be FUBAR'd is if Hanley is injured. Again there's the OF and 1B/3B depth, and Coghlan can shift to the IF if something were to happen to Uggla. And if Baker should go down, Paulino should be able to hold the fort down. In fact one could make the arguement that, because of defense, Paulino should be our starting Cather, but keep in mind his offensive numbers are jaded from facing almost exclusively LHP.

So more or less our offense all comes down to Hanley being Hanley, what else is knew.

Also, assume Bonifacio improves his SB rates to what they should be, and improves his offense to a more adequate mid-600 OPS range, there really wouldn't be much of a difference between him and Gaby starting. If we assume those two things happen, it's only about a win difference:

Of coarse, those two things would also have to happen.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nny; 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM.

what would the numbers be if they force logan up early compared to gaby (hope they dont but already articles about it)

Comment

Roughly the same. I'd say Logan's expected OPS if he were to come up now would be around .800. Give Gaby the better defense and base running, it's basically break even.

Comment

I thought Morrison was considered the better defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
          I thought Morrison was considered the better defender.
          Scouting report on Logan is basically "good arm, good hands, bad range", with his other areas making up for his bad range to make him roughly average, and numbers say below average.

Meanwhile Gaby is suppose to be a plus defense and numbers say average.

Comment

Give me a 1B with plus hands any day of the week. Good hands and good range gives you 2000-05 Derrek Lee, good hands give you Casey Kotchman.

Also, when a supposed "plus" defensive player (here, Gaby) ends up at 1B after flaming out at other positions so first base becomes an exasperated, here make it work, situation, I'm not going to go ahead and call him a good defensive player.

I think Gaby's bat is more ML ready than Logan's right now, but defense...I'm really not sold on Gaby from what I've heard.

Comment

Now pitching:

Last season we had a 4.50 tERA and a 4.57 ERA from our SP, which resulted in a +6.87 WAR. This calls for a 4.11 ERA, giving us a 5+ win advantage in SP from last year. And that's just asking for minimal improvement from Nolasco, Volstad, ect and not giving several starts to Teddy, Koronka, ect.

Each SP slot breaking into a 4 ERA range adds about 1 win (So if Volstad is 4 ERA, that's about 1 more win, if both Volstad and West are 4 ERA, that's 2 more wins).

Relief pitching, no where near as hot:

So our RP is just going to be +0-+1 win. Like with SP, if we can get some guys to break out and put up mid-3 ERAs, each one of those are worth about 1 win.

All in all our pitching staff would give up 732 runs, or 4.13 ERA

So our pitching now puts us at 84 wins, going by WAR. Pythagorean record likes us more, with 87 wins. All in all mid-80 win team that needs things to go right to make it to the playoffs. 10 more mil certainly would improve our chances a good deal more...or even just go with Swifts thing, defer that shit and just 5 more mil. 50 mil payroll! You can do it loria. sigh.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by nny; 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Way too many HR prone pitchers in the pen. Gotta hope moving to the pen helps VandenHurk in this area. I think it will which is why I have a shit load of hope for him comming out of the epn as opposed to starting. Also Tim Wood just looks cooler everytime I look into him.
                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Working...
                X