Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

His Name is Trade Bait (Dan Uggla Trade Talk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once I take Evidence, then I'll get aaaall the jokes.

Comment

I did biz school instead of law school, so your humour bores me

Comment

Don’t count out Uggla to Giants, source cautions
        Posted by Andrew Baggarly on December 9th, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

Quietly, the Giants are downplaying their interest in Florida Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla. But I’m hearing late tonight that other sources have a different understanding of the club’s level of engagement.
        Uggla comes with issues, no doubt. I spelled out most of them in this piece. But he’s still the biggest bat the Giants could acquire via trade or free agency, outside of Matt Holliday or Jason Bay, and lest anyone forget, that’s far and away their greatest need.

Uggla improved overall as a hitter last season, too, boosting his OPS while continuing to hit home runs in a pitcher’s yard. His right-handed pull power is sorely needed at AT&T Park –a commodity the Giants haven’t had since they got glimpses of a healthy Moises Alou in 2005-06. And before that, Jeff Kent.

The source suggested the Giants might be making a subtle misdirection play to get the Florida Marlins to take a lesser return. That might not be necessary, since the Marlins haven’t generated the competition to get a hefty package for the arbitration-eligible slugger. The Orioles are the only other team firmly linked to negotiations.

I understand Uggla would welcome a deal to the Giants, too, for what it’s worth.

Bottom line: We haven’t heard the last word on these Uggla-to-the-Giants rumors yet.
        http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extraba...&utm_content=G
        --------------------
        Maybe Dan Uggla starts the 2010 season in a Florida Marlins uniform

by Joe Capozzi
        Had an interesting conversation a few minutes ago with agent Jeff Booris, the agent for Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla.

Jeff met with the Marlins earlier Thursday to talk about his Marlins clients, which include pitcher Anibal Sanchez and first baseman Gaby Sanchez. But he made an interesting comment said about Uggla when I asked if he thought there was any chance of Uggla opening the 2010 season with the Marlins.

“Although it’s been no secret that the Marlins have been actively seeking a trade on Daniel, it is a realistic possibility that he could also be in a Marlins uniform in 2010,’’ said Jeff Booris, Uggla’s agent.

Booris, who met with the Marlins on Thursday, said his belief that Uggla could still start the 2010 season for Florida was “based on my conversations with the club.’’ He declined to elaborate.

It’s been no secret that the Marlins have been having a tough time at the winter meetings trading Uggla. One solution could be for Florida to at least open the 2010 season with Uggla at second base, then trade him in June or July.

That way the Marlins would be only be on the hook for a portion of his contract, which could hit $8 million after arbitration this winter.

Stay tuned…
        http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...rlins-uniform/
        Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 12-10-2009, 12:30 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Clearly, "we're busy"

Comment

Jeff Booris: Hmm... How can I get my name in the paper and also get on the good side of the Marlins management? I know! I can help the Marlins dissemble the Uggla issue!

Comment

Would like to see Boston get back in this especially with them moving Mike Lowell to the Rangers. Hell I wouldn't mind getting back (in a package) the guy they got in return for Lowell, C/1B Max Ramirez.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
                Would like to see Boston get back in this especially with them moving Mike Lowell to the Rangers. Hell I wouldn't mind getting back (in a package) the guy they got in return for Lowell, C/1B Max Ramirez.
                And Boston is paying most of Lowell's contract. With Lindstrom gone I don't see why we don't get rid of Cantu(lower OBP then HERMIDA last year(sad)) and Renyel Pinto and keep Uggla for 2010 atleast, either way Cantu will be gone by 2010, might as well trade him now and keep the most valuable piece of the two(Uggla). Cantu Lindstrom and Pinto free up about how much? 8-9 million?

Comment

Hey, I know it's fun to take what's perceived to be an easy shot (I mean, it's inconceivable HERMIDA has better numbers than anyone, he's the worst player in the history of forever) but Jeremy was 4th on the team in qualified OBP. If you're going to run someone out of town, it probably shouldn't be for having an OBP lower than a player who, if he does nothing else, is relatively good at working walks.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post

Why can't I stop watching this?

Comment

• Via Twitter:

JoeFrisaro: #Marlins FLA will tender him. Uggla could fit him into the budget for '10. Still look for a trade. San Fran may wind up being the club.

Just keep the man!

Comment

• If we're looking at keeping Uggla, the only thing is Cantu + $2 million dollars. You can get these 2 million in a variety of ways: (1) keeping cheapo bench, (2) ditching anibal, (3) ditching a bigger piece like Miller or Nunez in a trade

C John Baker $415,000
                        1B Logan Morrison $405,000
                        2B Dan Uggla $7,750,000
                        3B Gaby Sanchez $405,000
                        SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000
                        LF Chris Coghlan $410,000
                        CF Cameron Maybin $405,000
                        RF Cody Ross $4,200,000
                        B Emilio Bonifacio $415,000
                        B Wes Helms $950,000
                        B Ronny Paulino $900,000
                        B Brett Carroll $415,000
                        B Jorge Jimenez $405,000

SP Josh Johnson $4,500,000
                        SP Ricky Nolasco $4,250,000
                        SP Andrew Miller $2,000,000
                        SP Chris Volstad $415,000
                        SP Sean West $415,000
                        RP Leo Nunez $2,000,000
                        RP Dan Meyer $415,000
                        RP Brian Sanches $415,000
                        RP Burke Badenhop $415,000
                        RP Rick Vanden Hurk $415,000
                        RP Hunter Jones/Tank $410,000
                        RP Tim Wood/Chris Leroux $405,000

$40,130,000 (assuming Uggla comes slightly cheaper, I feel this is close enough to $40 number)

Also have Cantu, Anibal, Amezaha, and Pinto to trade to get 'whatever' to add to this.

Depth Chart

C - Baker, Paulino
                        1B - Morrison, Gaby, Helms
                        2B - Uggla, Coghlan, Bonifacio
                        SS - Hanley, Bonifacio
                        3B - Sanchez, Jimenez, Bonifacio, Coghlan, Helms
                        LF - Coghlan, Carroll, Morrison(?)
                        CF - Maybin, Ross, Carroll
                        RF - Ross, Carroll

I mean it works. Not a lot of margin of error as essentially you must have three of: Maybin, Morrison, Gaby, Jimenez, Carroll, and Bonifacio, turn into solid starters, but that could work itself out as I think all of us have confidence in at least the first two of those guys to not embarrass themselves.
                        --------------------
                        However, I most definitely like this team better.

C John Baker $415,000
                        1B Gaby Sanchez $405,000
                        2B Chris Coghlan $410,000
                        3B Jorge Cantu $5,500,000
                        SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000
                        LF Brett Carroll $415,000
                        CF Cameron Maybin $405,000
                        RF Cody Ross $4,200,000
                        B Emilio Bonifacio $415,000
                        B Wes Helms $950,000
                        B Ronny Paulino $900,000
                        B Jorge Jimenez $405,000
                        B Veteran Lefty Bat $1,500,000

SP Josh Johnson $4,500,000
                        SP Ricky Nolasco $4,250,000
                        SP Andrew Miller $2,000,000
                        SP Chris Volstad $415,000
                        SP Sean West $415,000
                        RP Leo Nunez $2,000,000
                        RP Dan Meyer $415,000
                        RP Brian Sanches $415,000
                        RP Burke Badenhop $415,000
                        RP Rick Vanden Hurk $415,000
                        RP Hunter Jones/Tank $410,000
                        RP Anibal Sanchez $1,200,000

$39,770,000

Gaby/Jimenez platoon 1B/3B and you move around Cantu. Let's Morrison stay in AAA for further growth/delaying arbitration reasons, you get to keep Anibal for more pitching depth, and can afford "something" for the bench. Who know's what, even if it's Amezaga, but it's at least money to pay some sort of veteran.

Also, you get something big back for Uggla which could go on above team as well. I don't know if we can say that for Cantu.

Come on Baltimore! You want Uggla! Felix Pie and adding two more pitchers for short and longterm purposes would be so unfathomably perfect for this team.
                        Last edited by lou; 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• to me, us keeping Uggla is Loria giving the OK to add him onto payroll for a couple months.

obviously we can't know that though.

Comment

• Yea I like the look of that second team better as well.
                            --------------------
                            especially since I believe Cantu will produce closer to his 08 level than 09 (playing with a wrist injury...I believe)
                            Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-10-2009, 11:56 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                              to me, us keeping Uggla is Loria giving the OK to add him onto payroll for a couple months.

obviously we can't know that though.
                              That would be nice if Beinfest says, listen guy. Other teams are being dicks. Just give me $47 million. We'll be good. Promise to blow up team in epic fashion in July if not contending.

I'm down for that.

Comment

• Conversation that should be had.
                                Beinfest: If you expect anything of value to be returned we need to show we will keep a player when we can't reach a deal we like instead of taking the best deal out there which is a lowball offer.
                                Loria: Well I don't really want to spend the money but we can afford to pay him for a few months but I expect him gone midseason unless we have the division title in our hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X