• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL
    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
    Tom Koehler(4-0)
    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4805881
      There are rumors that Marlins star pitcher Josh Johnson is about to change agents, in an offseason in which negotiations with Florida broke down.

"Definitely not true," Johnson said on Thursday evening.

Johnson is represented by Matt Sosnick. Earlier in this offseason, the Marlins and Sosnick negotiated over a multi-year deal, but the talks broke down when the Marlins reportedly did not want to guarantee a fourth year in the new contract. Executives and agents began to hear rumors this week that Johnson might change representation -- and in fact, another player that Johnson knows called him earlier this week to ask about whether this was accurate.

Absolutely not, said Johnson, who blossomed into one of the NL's best pitchers during the 2009 season. "I will probably never change agents," said Johnson. "I've known Matt for 10 years, and he has never steered me wrong. He's like an uncle to me."
      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
      Tom Koehler(4-0)
      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

• Yeah that uncle that asks everyone to pull his finger.

Comment

• Well, it was a fun 2009.

Comment

• Hes known Sosnick since he was 15? Thats kind of odd.
            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Marlins to Discuss Extension with Johnson

The Florida Marlins plan to talk to agent Matt Sosnick this week regarding a contract extension for Josh Johnson, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.

Last month, we recapped the progress, or lack thereof, that the Marlins have made in their attempt to lock up their ace to a long-term deal. At that point, Sosnick was still optimistic about the chances of Johnson remaining in Florida for the foreseeable future. Frisaro notes that, as we previously heard, a key factor in the negotiations is whether or not Florida will guarantee Johnson a fourth year. Sosnick says that if the Marlins make that guarantee, then he will listen.

Frisaro writes that if the two sides don't work out a contract extension, Johnson will be in line to earn about $4.2MM in his second arbitration-eligible year. The right-hander earned $1.45MM in 2009.
              MLBTR

Get it done.

Comment

• The title of this thread is an epic win.
                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I think that if John Smoltz is still unemployed as of January 10th (with, as far as I'm aware, a stated intention to play) and the only contract that topped 5 years this offseason was an admitted overpayment to keep a player they just deemed too vital to 2010 and 2011 (Holliday), Sosnick would be bordering on malpractice to turn down a Grienke type contract for JJ. With the exception of Pujols testing positive for steroids or actually being 47 (neither of which are that improbable) no 'elite' player has more to lose in 2010 than JJ. If he's startlingly mediocre, or injured, that 7 year deal Sosnick thinks will be waiting for him just disappeared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                    The title of this thread is an epic win.
                    Haha. I had a feeling someone would say something about that.

Comment

• Johnson's agent 'cautiously optimistic'
                      Arbitration-eligible pitcher seeks four-year deal with Marlins

By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

The hard-line stance Josh Johnson's agent recently took with the Marlins regarding a long-term deal has become more flexible in the middle of a potential make-or-break period.

Johnson's agent, Matt Sosnick, said in a phone interview with MLB.com on Thursday that he still isn't willing to agree to anything other than a four-year deal, which would buy out the first two years of Johnson's free agency. But after urging that a long-term stay in South Florida for the 25-year-old right-hander was not possible after talks stalled in late November, Sosnick said he's now "open to anything" -- including in-season negotiations in hopes of keeping Johnson in South Florida.

At this point, Sosnick said he's "cautiously optimistic" he and the Marlins can reach an agreement on a long-term deal, which is "much more optimistic than I felt a couple months ago," the agent added.

For now, Sosnick said he and the Marlins -- who don't publicly comment on the state of their negotiations -- are "really just throwing ideas back and forth. There's been nothing concrete either way."

Johnson has two years remaining in arbitration, including this season, when he'll probably land himself a contract worth about $4.2 million if he goes to a hearing. If the Marlins wait until the following offseason, however, Sosnick said the low-budget club will "price itself out of the market" if Johnson duplicates his spectacular 2009 season and is just one year removed from free-agent status.

"J.J. wants to stay here, I want him to stay here, the Marlins want him to stay here," Sosnick said. "We're all just trying to work together to make it happen."

If they want to make it happen before Spring Training, the two sides may be running out of time.

On Tuesday, arbitration-eligible players without a 2010 contract will exchange arbitration figures with their respective clubs, as hearings before a three-person panel will run Feb. 1-21. Between that time and a player's scheduled hearing, the two sides can still negotiate, but the Marlins have a history of going to arbitration if a deal is not completed before the exchange date.

"We're certainly off on a one-year deal," Sosnick said. "We're using different comparables. I mean, Ricky Nolasco got [his one-year deal done] in one day. Just because the Marlins feel differently than I do doesn't mean any of us are right or wrong. This is one of those things where, particularly with a guy like J.J., there's a lot of gray [area], and you're trying to figure out not only these comparables, but who he's like, all that kind of stuff."

Johnson looked like a potential Cy Young Award winner in 2009.

He finished 15-5 with a 3.23 ERA in 33 starts, striking out 191 batters and walking 58 in 209 innings. Since returning from Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery in July 2008, Johnson is 22-6.

The Marlins already locked up star shortstop Hanley Ramirez to a six-year, $70 million deal in May 2008, and they'd love nothing more than to also have their ace pitcher in the books for when they move into their new stadium in '12.

As it was stated earlier in the offseason, that's going to take four guaranteed years. But unlike how it was in November, at least his agent's stance has softened a bit.

"I sort of feel like it's in the Marlins' hands," Sosnick said. "J.J. is going to be great, I believe, wherever he pitches. I'm going to assume that he's going to be in Florida for the long-term unless he ends up going to arbitration. And even if he goes to arbitration, I'm open to anything that makes sense for J.J."

Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
                      http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=fla

Comment

• not only these comparables, but who he's like
                        - Sosnick

Comment

• Pitcher Josh Johnson confirms to ESPN.com that he's agreed to 4-year, $39 million deal with Florida Marlins.
                          http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/statuses/7764751100

woooooooo hoooooooooo
                          Sanchez life

Comment

Working...
                          X